Your opinion on Maxwell now after his new power?

Maxwell's character makeover seems to be the main non-bug-fix related feature of the final update.

So to re-cap, here's what his current stats are from today's build:

His original abilities are still there:

* Is frail (75 hp)

* Is dapper (+20 sanity per min)

* Brings his own sword (Spawns with dark sword, night armor, 4 nightmare fuel, purple gem)

But he now has a new perk:

* Can fragment his mind 

Maxwell now spawns with his own book called "Codex Umbra", which is black and has an "M" on the cover. You can read the book like Wickerbottom, costing 1 nightmare fuel to use. Doing so will summon a "Shadow Puppet" of Maxwell, that has his silhouette, and wields a sword.

This shadow clone will attack for and defend for you, like Abigail. They will also assist you in mining, and chopping down trees, although with a slow swing speed. However, for every puppet that exists in the world, Maxwell's sanity cap is reduced by 55. You can have up to 3 puppets, at which point Maxwell will be locked at 35 sanity and can not summon more, he will simply say "I have a headache!". Your sanity cap will go back up as the puppets die,

The shadow puppets seem to live for about 2.5 days, and then die off. Like Maxwell, they also have 75 hp. Because they act like a sanity monster, other creatures don't seem to notice them until they attack. For example, you can command them to target a rabbit, and it won't run away when the puppet runs to attack. This even works with birds. 

So this basically seems to be a heavily re-worked version of Kevin's merm idea. And his perks actually relate to his nickname now. So what do you guys think? Too good? Too awesome? Perfect?

I really like it, it's an interesting reward for beating adventure mode. I liked Maxwell just as a sorta reskin with new lines that spawned with a better spear before and not really for his stats, I mean his sanity gain is a pretty nice thing but it didn't really seem that worth it.

But now I can put that sanity regain to work and have a more viable way to fight things!

I just now discovered the puppets will also help you mine and chop down trees, but with a slow swing speed.

I'm guessing they don't regenerate your sanity faster if you stand around them though like pigs, but do they drain it if you stand too close?

It's pretty amazing. Any losses by their two-day despawn is counteracted by the infinite amounts of beardlings you can farm with four of them out.

Also, by debug spawning one in with Wilson, I've determined that the shadow maxwells don't decrease sanity when you're close.

It's pretty amazing. Any losses by their two-day despawn is counteracted by the infinite amounts of beardlings you can farm with four of them out.

Also, by debug spawning one in with Wilson, I've determined that the shadow maxwells don't decrease sanity when you're close.

apart from low health...does he have any counter at all now?

apart from low health...does he have any counter at all now?

It doesn't seem so. You can even use his mind fractions to get full grown trees with only 4-5% of an normal axe also big rocks....a worthy reward for beating adventure mode...he is now sort of like easy mode... the new Wolfgang?

It doesn't seem so. You can even use his mind fractions to get full grown trees with only 4-5% of an normal axe also big rocks....a worthy reward for beating adventure mode...he is now sort of like easy mode... the new Wolfgang?

The Noob trio : Wilson, WX-78 and Maxwell

Whoawhoawhoa. Leave Wilson out of this. Wilson is the very best, that no one ever was. To not starve is his real quest, a crockpot is his cause. Wilsonmon, gotta cook them all. 

But he is a noob character with no drawbacks. So yeah...

Whoawhoawhoa. Leave Wilson out of this. Wilson is the very best, that no one ever was. To not starve is his real quest, a crockpot is his cause. Wilsonmon, gotta cook them all. 

willow is da best.end.

OT:well, how Teo sid, maxies shdow fragments are like a abigail 2.0, but i wouldn't waste my time with beating adventure mode to get him, because i don't play the game anymore

Archived