[HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE] Programmer looking for Artist

Cheerio

• Developer

I'm a total sucker for Halloween...

I'd love to animate some Halloween-themed creatures! Did you have anything in mind? =3

(Don't worry, U&A guys, I'm getting back to work on the animation, but how can I resist some Halloween stuff? ^^; )

I'm cool with anything but to get us started, here's an idea I I was toying with:

Night Terrors

If you kill a creature, an undead version of it comes after you at night.  We could have a few undead versions of existing creatures or even new ones.  My other thought was that they would primarily be attracted to fire and secondly to live creatures.  The idea being that they run into the fire, the fire goes out and then you have a bunch of burning undead trying to get you.  

Let me know what you think :).

Sorry to interject in your skull session but just a thought. Since they're monsters, maybe wielding the tradition angry mob equipment (Pitchfork and torch) causes them to run in fear. Or angrily attack you. Sorry. Am I not allowed to interject?

Night terrors huh? If It's O.K, I could help out with that in string form.

Wilson: The (whatever mob) is alive!

Willow: Eugh. It smells like rotten flesh.

Wolfgang: Scary groaning thing frightens Wolfgang!

WX-78: HOW CAN IT SURVIVE WITHOUT AN ACTIVE HARD DRIVE?

Wendy: Everything comes back to haunt you eventually.

Waverly, just cause I'm making a mod about her:

I've seen many better reanimation spells in my day.

Woodie: You dont see that every day.

Maxwell: I thought I got rid of you.

• Developer

Night terrors huh? If It's O.K, I could help out with that in string form.

Wilson: The (whatever mob) is alive!

Willow: Eugh. It smells like rotten flesh.

Wolfgang: Scary groaning thing frightens Wolfgang!

WX-78: HOW CAN IT SURVIVE WITHOUT AN ACTIVE HARD DRIVE?

Wendy: Everything comes back to haunt you eventually.

Woodie: You dont see that every day.

Maxwell: I thought I got rid of you.

I promise you can write every single string for this mod :).

Sorry to interject in your skull session but just a thought. Since they're monsters, maybe wielding the tradition angry mob equipment (Pitchfork and torch) causes them to run in fear. Or angrily attack you. Sorry. Am I not allowed to interject?

I'm actually a bit torn, on this - I'm a huge horror film fangirl. I have all the old Universal Horror films, Hammer Horror films... all that stuff. So I really like that idea on principle. And since this sounds very "Night of the Living Dead" the creatures should actually be afraid of fire.

But that would make for some really boring gameplay, if all they do is run away from you. I would say yes - they should become directly aggressive to you, if you wield a torch - since Cheerio's idea is that they're drawn to fire.

I can hear my film degree crying... Romero, I have betrayed you! ;A;

I'm cool with anything but to get us started, here's an idea I I was toying with:

Night Terrors

If you kill a creature, an undead version of it comes after you at night.  We could have a few undead versions of existing creatures or even new ones.  My other thought was that they would primarily be attracted to fire and secondly to live creatures.  The idea being that they run into the fire, the fire goes out and then you have a bunch of burning undead trying to get you.  

Let me know what you think :-).

That sounds pretty awesome! My first thought is the Pigs. Kill a Pig, and it comes back to haunt you. They definitely would need some shuffling undead animation, so I'll have to do that. Not sure what other creatures would qualify for a good "zombie." So if anyone has ideas... shoot! ^^

Though, as a very serious question... will it be possible to animate in Spriter with bones? I can get it done without them, it's just going to be much harder, and take longer.

As a "two-birds-with-one-stone" idea... I want to include Skeleton monsters that start spawning at dusk and attack Link, until they stop spawning in the morning. (Maybe max 5 at a time. Pop out of the ground near the player, and go back under if he gets too far away. (Like what happens in Hyrule Field as a child in Ocarina of Time. =3)

That's a very "Halloween-y" idea, so if you're up for it (and don't mind me also sticking it into Link) I'd love to do that. ^^

• Developer

Hey, I'm doing another mod for the contest, so would you like me to make it compatible with this mod? (Or can you make yours compatable with my mod)

If you want to make another creature which is both alive and dead, it should be really easy to add it to the mod.

• Developer

I'm actually a bit torn, on this - I'm a huge horror film fangirl. I have all the old Universal Horror films, Hammer Horror films... all that stuff. So I really like that idea on principle. And since this sounds very "Night of the Living Dead" the creatures should actually be afraid of fire.

But that would make for some really boring gameplay, if all they do is run away from you. I would say yes - they should become directly aggressive to you, if you wield a torch - since Cheerio's idea is that they're drawn to fire.

I can hear my film degree crying... Romero, I have betrayed you! ;A;

That sounds pretty awesome! My first thought is the Pigs. Kill a Pig, and it comes back to haunt you. They definitely would need some shuffling undead animation, so I'll have to do that. Not sure what other creatures would qualify for a good "zombie." So if anyone has ideas... shoot! ^^

Though, as a very serious question... will it be possible to animate in Spriter with bones? I can get it done without them, it's just going to be much harder, and take longer.

As a "two-birds-with-one-stone" idea... I want to include Skeleton monsters that start spawning at dusk and attack Link, until they stop spawning in the morning. (Maybe max 5 at a time. Pop out of the ground near the player, and go back under if he gets too far away. (Like what happens in Hyrule Field as a child in Ocarina of Time. =3)

That's a very "Halloween-y" idea, so if you're up for it (and don't mind me also sticking it into Link) I'd love to do that. ^^

We could have this work for Link as well.  And yeah I've been meaning to get back to the Spriter bone support.  I'm about halfway done and I just need some time at work to free up.  Sorry about the delay.

We could have this work for Link as well.  And yeah I've been meaning to get back to the Spriter bone support.  I'm about halfway done and I just need some time at work to free up.  Sorry about the delay.

Oh, no, no problem! I just needed to know if I would be able to animate with bones or not.

Not trying to rush you. =)

I'm hoping they infect other living creatures they attack...

This would be cool! Though I'm not quite sure how it would work, in terms of transforming... perhaps anything they kill comes back after the body disappears?

This would be cool! Though I'm not quite sure how it would work, in terms of transforming... perhaps anything they kill comes back after the body disappears?

Maybe the turn off-screen. Maybe a texture change with a "waking up" animation (needs bodies to stay on-screen).

Can't add animation to an existing creature - this wouldn't just be a texture swap, this would be a complete re-animate.

(Hehe. "re-animating" zombies. Now that's ironic.)

Just to be clear, by "waking up" animation i mean the mobs animation when they wake up, the one that already is in the game...can't that be used?

Just to be clear, by "waking up" animation i mean the mobs animation when they wake up, the one that already is in the game...can't that be used?

Speaking as an animator and horror film fangirl... undead creatures simply don't move like living ones do. I think the best solution is to have them clamber out of the dirt, and exist as their own entity - when, say, a pig is killed by a zombie, the pig's death animation plays, and the body fades away. At that point, the clambering animation plays, and the zombie pig entity spawns at the point of the pig's death.

That's the best way I can think of doing it - but that's just me.

Archived