Suggestion For New Item : Fences

Now I know this may have been mentioned before but,

I think fences or something of the sort should be added so you can protect your "base" better.

These could be seen to ruin the survival feel of the game so maybe they would be hard to craft.

If you have any other suggestions for something like fences, reply to this topic.

This has been more than mentioned before. Its been mentioned over and over and over and over.

It would increase the 'turtle' behaviour the devs are trying to avoid and also create an idea of safety and control over the environment. Which is not really what this game is about.

They said that craftable barricades will come when proper AI pathfinding is introduced. I imagine these barricades will be breakable since they don't want players turtling too much.

Until then, you can place a bunch of trees close together to create a makeshift barrier.

They said that craftable barricades will come when proper AI pathfinding is introduced.

I think they said that they would have to code a proper AI before introducing fences, in a "mooooooooom, five more minutes" kinda way :D

I wouldn't expect it any time Soon.

I think this would be a swell idea. They don't necessarily have to be very sturdy or anything, just sort of an alternative to barricading your self amid trees. Personally, I wouldn't mind the illusion of safety in the wilderness at all :p

Either fences or maybe sort of log walls like people used to set up around villages/encampments thousands of years ago.

Makes more sense than planting a bunch of trees around your camp lol.

In general I'm against creating a 100% "safe zone". Nothing in the game should be 100% safe because you would lose the thrill of surviving in the wilderness. This the the same reason why I'll talk about building cabins... but at the end of the day I don't think I want this added.

For fences I would say they are fine if their main purpose is to protect crops from rabbits, keep beefalo penned up, or generally organize "your land". But when it comes to hostile creatures, I think fences should break fairly easily (say 3-5 seconds after a hostile creature starts hitting it). My main concern would be players abusing fences, say, by creating "layers" of them to delay enemies.

A slightlt larger concern is the current "walls". Enemies really should be able to knock down burnt trees and climb/jump over chests. I don't know why Wendy is getting away with living the fancy life in Fort Chest-a-Lot. :p

I think there should be safe zone. Why not? Sometimes I dont want to fight. I dont want to fear everything. Sometimes I just want to let my beard grow and harvest some crops :) Even in the real wild nature you can make yourself a safe place. But I understand that it is not fitting the game idea. But do not forget, that the most loved games are the ones in which you can do whatever you want.

Actually this has been suggested before, but it's always good to see other people interested in the idea voicing their opinion. It should be noted that in recent posts by Kevin he mentioned that while they were nerfing defenses (i.e. chests no longer blocked pathfinding and trees could no longer be planted nextt o each other to form walls) that they would eventually add real walls that we could construct. I assume these will be wooden walls, but who knows? We'll just have to wait and see. :)