[Suggestion] Vehicles

After playing quite a bit, I found that traveling long distances is a pain, like really long, and especially when night comes and you'll have to make a temporarily camp/torch, and crossing lakes. I'm thinking of maybe a cart or a car or something that would travel twice as fast as you walk. It could perhaps run on fuel, or maybe a cart dragged by pigs, and you'd have to give them food or some kind of "fuel" for them to drag you around.

I was also thinking about a boat. A rowing boat witch you could maybe row as fast as you could walk, and maybe your food-meter drains faster. And a sailboat would be cool. You could travel long distances in water, and depending on how much wind there is, you went faster or slower. They would also have to add something you could measure how much wind there is.

And one more thing. I think it would be awesome if they added random islands in the water witch you could settle on. Something like that.

Last, I would love to see this game on Mac OS and on mobile devices. So I could play it on the fly. :)

Well boats have been mentioned before, so you have company here on the forum when it comes to that suggestion. I personally wouldn't mind Klei eventually eliminating the stone bridges that connect the islands and forcing players to craft rafts and/or boats in order to explore other islands.

As for a means to travel faster... I personally always like the idea of using a stolen Tallbird egg, hatching it yourself, and taming the baby Tallbird to eventually become your mount. Then you could ride a Tallbird around the islands. :)

I like the idea of boats. They would make those horrible bridges obsolete and I love the idea of traveling on the water with your boat and not knowing what is coming next. There could be many things to find; new islands, monsters under the water, floating chests or maybe some other ships that have been abandoned and offer some resources.

A simple way to achieve faster travelling could be running (1.5 or twice movementspeed, lowers your food meter).

I don't know if sth. like a cart/car would fit in this world, maybe an oldschool bicycle fits better. The idea with the boat (I hate these bridges too and love to explore some islands) and riding a Tallbird sounds sounds pretty cool. Something for travelling faster is needed in this game, especially in late-game.

I like the idea of boats. They would make those horrible bridges obsolete and I love the idea of traveling on the water with your boat and not knowing what is coming next. There could be many things to find; new islands, monsters under the water, floating chests or maybe some other ships that have been abandoned and offer some resources.

If the game ever lets' you "enter" anything then a ghost ship would be an interesting find... allowing you to board it and search it for rare treasures... while being hunted by pirate ghosts. Oh no! This sounds like a Scooby-Doo Mystery! :o

A simple way to achieve faster travelling could be running (1.5 or twice movementspeed, lowers your food meter).

I don't know if sth. like a cart/car would fit in this world, maybe an oldschool bicycle fits better. The idea with the boat (I hate these bridges too and love to explore some islands) and riding a Tallbird sounds sounds pretty cool. Something for travelling faster is needed in this game, especially in late-game.

Do you run all the time, or do you have to press a specific button?

And I think an oldschool bike was a good idéa. When I said cart/car I thought about a steampunk type car, or maybe a cart like this (http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/Images/Main/Sections/blog/cart2.jpg), just dragged by pigs.

Do you run all the time, or do you have to press a specific button?

And I think an oldschool bike was a good idéa. When I said cart/car I thought about a steampunk type car, or maybe a cart like this (http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/Images/Main/Sections/blog/cart2.jpg), just dragged by pigs.

You walk normally you have to press a button to run. While running your food-meter decreases faster.

Ohh.. okay.. this type of cart would fit and the piggys would have an other function (piggy buggy :) ).

I suggested sprinting a while ago, with the same mechanics, but then I realized that it would be exploited to outrun most enemies, thus rendering null the danger factor.

There's a rather interesting debate about having bicycles currently.

And I would love to be able to craft a raft an sail to some isolated island with a special new biome with a treasure buried in it :D

I suggested sprinting a while ago, with the same mechanics, but then I realized that it would be exploited to outrun most enemies, thus rendering null the danger factor.

Maybe the monsters get an movmentspeed buff, so you have to run to get away. This woul make them even more dangerous :evil:... because your food-meter decreases faster if you run away.

That's the point of the game though. For things to be difficult. If they made a vehicle in game to cross the island in a flash, you'd never need to leave home for the night. You'd just go explore some distant part of the island and come back to your base safe and sound. I personally really like that if I want to go somewhere far, I have to abandon my camp for a few days and survive a few nights alone.

As for boats, yes, I love that idea as plenty of others said. But keep it to water vehicles.

That's the point of the game though. For things to be difficult. If they made a vehicle in game to cross the island in a flash, you'd never need to leave home for the night. You'd just go explore some distant part of the island and come back to your base safe and sound. I personally really like that if I want to go somewhere far, I have to abandon my camp for a few days and survive a few nights alone.

I'm also against the idea of "instantaneous travel" (i.e. teleporting). We should have to travel across the islands the hard way, and while I do support the idea of an animal mount (i.e. Tallbird) I would hope it would require some effort to acquire one and then you would also need to keep it fed and protected. Keeping other emergency or exploration camps across the various islands sounds like the way the game was meant to be played, and that's how I play it because I already know I can reach the far islands and return to my main camp in one day.

As for boats, yes, I love that idea as plenty of others said. But keep it to water vehicles.

Mmm-hmm. My thoughts exactly. And I would support more of a raft than a boat. Something like this...

post-1142-13764589388461_thumb.jpg

Or with some more work, this...

post-1142-13764589413426_thumb.jpg

If there are rafts, I want waves. And if there are waves, I want to randomly drop 1 item of my inventory whenever a big wave hits the raft. Like when you fight frogs and they tongue you, they steal something from the inventory and drop it on the ground. Something like that, only there isn't much ground around to catch the item, so... bye bye item.

It would be from 1 slot at random (except the hand/body/head slots) and if by chance it chooses an empty slot then nothing is lost... until the next big wave :D

Kinda like a tax on sailing.

If there are rafts, I want waves. And if there are waves, I want to randomly drop 1 item of my inventory whenever a big wave hits the raft.

But where would the item fall? On the raft or into the sea? Personally I would like the sea to only become rough if/wen Klei includes weather and either a rainstorm or thunderstorm strikes. Other than that the sea should be a dangerous place to roam for too long... maybe sea monsters? A kraken could easily torment you while your on a raft. Or a sea serpent. And let's not forget pirate ghosts!

Like when you fight frogs and they tongue you...

Okay but... wait, what? You're being tongued by frogs? That's... that's awkward... :eek:

...they steal something from the inventory and drop it on the ground. Something like that, only there isn't much ground around to catch the item, so... bye bye item.

Now how often would it fall off the raft? I would assume that when you use a raft you would be glued to the center of it and then control movement via a rudder/sail (ropes).

Also, while I don't think the raft should have a durability gauge, it should get damaged over time when you're attacked or you hit rocks (rocky shorelines). Like a fire, I suggest the damage to the raft should be visual and you need to determine when you need to replace, or better still, fix your raft up again. Like hunger, where you can just keep eating, or the fire, which you can just keep feeding fuel, the raft can be repaired as much as the player likes... after all the idea would be you're taking existing logs/boards and replacing them (maybe when you don't even need to, your call). The visual style of the raft would then improve as you fixed it up.

It would be from 1 slot at random (except the hand/body/head slots) and if by chance it chooses an empty slot then nothing is lost... until the next big wave :D

That sounds rough!

Kinda like a tax on sailing.

A sailing toll...? Damn governments.

Another thought. do we want there to be a light source on the raft or do players need to make landfall in order to avoid the Grue? If there is a light source, what would it be and how would you maintain it?

My thought is that, yes, there should be a light source on the raft, however it should be more than the basic variety... as you are on a wooden raft. Maybe you need to either craft the miner's helmet or a pumpkin lantern (which can then be "placed" on the raft to illuminate it. Those are easy options based on existing inventions, and for now I think that works.

I would not mind being able to trave faster. Just not on things like karts and such. Perhaps more along the lines of a bike or mounts like the tall bird, hounds and such.

If the game ever lets' you "enter" anything...

I gave a suggestion on my first thread on how to make things like caves work without having to make extra levels or such. The ones that commented on it seemed to have liked it.

I gave a suggestion on my first thread on how to make things like caves work without having to make extra levels or such. The ones that commented on it seemed to have liked it.

A while back I suggested an entrance to underground caverns as well, using a 2.5D crevasse on the ground to indicate the opening to the caverns and players need a rope and grappling hook to select it, and climb down. Doing so triggered a transition between the island's surface and the underground caverns. I also suggested that, should a load screen be required, there could be a new screen showing your character climbing down the rope in between map transitions.

A while back I suggested an entrance to underground caverns as well, using a 2.5D crevasse on the ground to indicate the opening to the caverns and players need a rope and grappling hook to select it, and climb down. Doing so triggered a transition between the island's surface and the underground caverns. I also suggested that, should a load screen be required, there could be a new screen showing your character climbing down the rope in between map transitions.

I suggest much the same thing, but mine made it so they did not have to add a second layer to the game which i believe thats was the reason why the devs were not doing it. Basicly on my the caves and such are noting more than islands created outside of reach and sight on the same layer as you. The only way to reach them is to go to the cave entrace which will then teleport you to the island/cave. Same for an other underground type places.