Don't Starve Chess Set

What should the pawns for white be?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What should the pawns for white be?

• Pigs
    • Guardian Pigs
    • Bunnymen

Hey everyone. Just thought I'd tell you about a project I'm currently doing. So one of my favourite games to play is chess. While playing a bit of Don't Starve, I encountered a chess biome. I was messing with some figures I'd made out of clay early that day and it hit me. I should make a don't starve chess set. My plans right now is for the white pieces to be the characters and things on the player's side and black being Maxwell and the enemies. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-Luggs

Update

After a bit of scrounging, I managed to find an old chessboard with dimensions that would be suitable for the pieces. post-38056-13764594390684_thumb.jpg

The measurements of each square is 2 inches by 2 inches. While this should be efficient for most pieces, I'll have to get creative with some of the pieces' poses. I might also use some spare wood I have lying around to make a nicer board but first I'll get the pieces planned out.

PIECES

Black Pawn: Spider

White Pawn: Pig

Black Rook: ?

White Rook: ?

Black Knght: ?

White Knight: ?

Black Bishop: ?

White Bishop: ?

Black Queen: ?

White Queen: ?

Black King: Maxwell

White King: ?

Edited by Luggs

Dang! Just imagining this in my head, I see it looking really impressive. I like myself a good game of Chess too, though I haven't played in years and I'm not nearly as good as my brother was (he always whupped me excessively in our Chess games). This sounds super awesome, can't wait to see how it progresses. ^_^ I'm sure it'll turn out great, I wish you luck in your endeavors! :p

This is an excellent idea. I will gladly offer my help as good as I can. Played a lot against my grandpa...he annihilated me...but it was fun! ^^

Much appreciated. For the sake of anyone wanting to help, I'll put a list of road blocks I've run into.-The poses of some of the wider creatures. (Beefalo, Koalefant, spider queen.) keep in mind, I have to stay within a 2 in. X 2 in. Square for each piece.-what creature/character should be what piece. Black is maxwell's side, white is the characters' side. I don't want to use the clockwork creatures for maxwell's side as the rook is far too wide.-Design for the base the figures shall rest on.-Luggs

I think Spiders are perfect to be the Black pawns, you don't want to use the Clockwork creatures...mhm but they are Chesspieces. Which material do you want to use for the figures?And I don't think the Rook is more hulking than a Pigmen.

The reason for the rook is that in order to make sure he's not constantly falling over, he'd have to be very small compared to the other pieces. The reason I don't want to make clockwork creatures is their legs. They're so thin the clay would snap during firing. Not set in stone with clay. I'll probably use it to do some design tests and decide on a less fragile material after a bit of research.

Black Rook: Tree GuardWhite Rook: KoalefantBlack Knight: HoundWhite Knight: BeefaloBlack Bishop: MacTuskWhite Bishop: TeenbirdBlack Queen: CharlieWhite Queen: WillowBlack King: MaxwellWhite King: WilsonI suggest Charlie (aka Grue) for Queen because she and Maxwell were friends. You can be creative with her form too, since we have not seen her before. And I feel Chester should be in there somewhere, maybe in the place of Teenbird, if Teenbird is hard to make (being fragile on thin legs).

Edited by CrispyJelly

Here's my two-cents on this awesome idea ^^Black Pawn: SpiderWhite Pawn: ChesterBlack Rook: HoundWhite Rook: BeefaloBlack Knght: Clockwork HorseWhite Knight: Clockwork HorseBlack Bishop: Clockwork BishopWhite Bishop: Clockwork BishopBlack Queen: Spider QueenWhite Queen: Maybe Wendy, Willow, or WickerbottomBlack King: MaxwellWhite King: Wilson

Lets do this.White pawns: PigsBlack pawns: SpidersWhite Bishop: TeenbirdBlack Bishop: Clockwork BishopWhite Knight: Beefalo-Riding PigBlack Knight: Clockwork KnightWhite Rook: ChesterBlack Rook: TreegaurdWhite Queen: WillowBlack Queen: Spider QueenWhite King: WilsonBlack King: Maxwell (duh)

Lets do this.White pawns: PigsBlack pawns: SpidersWhite Bishop: TeenbirdBlack Bishop: Clockwork BishopWhite Knight: Beefalo-Riding PigBlack Knight: Clockwork KnightWhite Rook: ChesterBlack Rook: TreegaurdWhite Queen: WillowBlack Queen: Spider QueenWhite King: WilsonBlack King: Maxwell (duh)

Black rook should be the clockwork rook. I'm pretty sure that there are some pics of it somewhere on here. And instead of the teenbird it should be just a regular tallbird.

Black rook should be the clockwork rook. I'm pretty sure that there are some pics of it somewhere on here. And instead of the teenbird it should be just a regular tallbird.

Tallbirds are against you though...but the clockwork rook idea sounds cool I completely forgot about that thing :p

Black Rook: Clockwork rookWhite Rook: BunnymanBlack Knight: merm(or nightmare beast) riding clockwork horseWhite Knight: Pig riding BeefaloBlack Bishop: Clockwork bishopWhite Bishop: Dead adventurer guy Black Queen: Charlie or spider queenWhite Queen: Pig king or willowBlack King: MaxwellWhite King: Wilson

Black Rook: Clockwork rook

White Rook: Bunnyman

Black Knight: merm(or nightmare beast) riding clockwork horse

White Knight: Pig riding Beefalo

Black Bishop: Clockwork bishop

White Bishop: Dead adventurer guy

Black Queen: Charlie or spider queen

White Queen: Pig king or willow

Black King: Maxwell

White King: Wilson

And of couse

White Pawn:Dead adventurer guy or bunnyman or chester

Black Pawn: Spiders. possibaly a variation of cave and regular

- - - Updated - - -

And of couse

White Pawn: Dead adventurer guy or bunnyman or chester

Black Pawn: Spiders. possibaly a variation of cave and regular

oops

While I would love to make the clockwork creatures, their legs are too thin for them to support their bodies at this scale.I would also like to say thank you for your ideas.-Luggs

Edited by Luggs

Hmmm, isn't there some lighter material. I'm some kind of a tabletop player and there are modeling materials which could work. But I think they are too expensive.Problem is we have some creatures with tiny legs...Tallbirds (they could work I think but aren't easy, too)

I suggest Charlie (aka Grue) for Queen because she and Maxwell were friends. You can be creative with her form too, since we have not seen her before. And I feel Chester should be in there somewhere, maybe in the place of Teenbird, if Teenbird is hard to make (being fragile on thin legs).

The challenge of designing Charlie would be interesting.

Hmmm, isn't there some lighter material. I'm some kind of a tabletop player and there are modeling materials which could work. But I think they are too expensive.Problem is we have some creatures with tiny legs...Tallbirds (they could work I think but aren't easy, too)

I recall I once made a project with thin legs that worked. The trick was I put nails in them so they had more area to bond to. While there are better materials, from what I've seen I would require molds. A bit more expensive but it would make making multiple pawns easier. I'll have to check what would be in my price range.

[MENTION=7347]CrispyJelly[/MENTION] For Charlie's figure maybe a woman's silhouette? Maybe some tiny shadow hands coming from the ground, if that's possible.

The challenge of designing Charlie would be interesting.

I love Matt's idea. Black shadow hands rising from the ground would make a fantastic sight.