Jet-Pack!

I noticed a few threads concerning faster transportation, but I have not been able to find this idea: a steam punk style back mounted jet-pack! It would look badass, and would still limit you to the edges of the world as it must "push off" the ground in order to keep you in the air. It could require fuel in the form of resources, or just have a percentage based condition like most other tools. Perhaps the ability to cross otherwise blocking terrain (i.e. fly over trees, rocks, etc.) Imagine creating a base surrounded in a tight smattering of trees, accessible only by air via your jet-pack!

Any more ideas or comments based on this are very welcomed and encouraged, tell me what you guys think!

Long live this game.

I liked until the exploitative base stuff. If it's a homemade from the wilds half baked jet back it should barely get off the ground make you move a bit faster require fuel and have a chance to just stop working.

I wouldn't mind seeing this if it works for only transportation and not the added benefit of flying too far up into the air. Equally using a tool from it minus blowguns (or Bow and arrows if they ever show up) should be impossible. If you swing an ax with no ground to anchor you you'd spin until the jets forced you into the ground.

I wouldn't say it's anymore exploitative than building a tight tree line and just leaving a one tree gap that you can plant a pinecone in front of when you enter your base. If you put in the effort, why not? You wouldn't fall into the sea as you would be restricted to the world edges as though on foot. It could fit into the theme as it could be "steam powered". Perhaps powered by charcoal and water? We already have a science machine that chugs away based on some unseen power source so I don't think it is outside of the world's reality.

Here are a couple of examples from a quick google search to give you an idea of how it could fit the theme or style of the world:

post-1990-13764589379728_thumb.jpg

post-1990-13764589379943_thumb.jpg

post-1990-13764589380235_thumb.jpg

I know these are mostly made of metal, but hey, hollow out a couple thick logs for rockets, fix them together firmly with some rope, craft a firing mechanism out of flint and stone, and hell if you don't have a jet-pack! ;)

I prefer it being a slight hover and having all the same limits as usual walking but being a bit faster. It denotes how experimental and home brewed the tech is. Now that I think about it though even the Da Vinci flying machine allows more movement than the game currently deals with. What if when you use it it opens the map you click a previously explored place to go and then you take off. Chance to crash while flying or landing ruining the flying machine, otherwise it takes like 33% durability hit. This way there's very little game mechanic to add in the purpose is served as faster travel and you still have a good risk v reward.

I do like the idea of a Leo designed flying machine as well. I don't particularly like the concept of just clicking an unexplored place and ending up there. I would rather the travel be kept in real time, with you traversing the land by moving about with your mouse. A few people have mentioned the potential to fall into the games "ocean". As far as I can tell this space is nothingness, it is what displays beyond the world's real edges, and therefore as Royal and I both mentioned, the machine would be restricted to land use only. It would make sense as the machine simply would not have the needed "thrust" to push off the water, or very high off the land. I don't understand why a random chance to crash or for failure is necessary... I don't like the idea of such a random event. It would be kind of like giving the axe a chance to break before it's condition is used up...it would just be annoying. Your aircraft as long as properly fueled and with condition remaining should simply operate. This way you are still managing resources, but if you did happen to run out of fuel or condition in the air... then a crash would naturally occur. This would of course be a later level item too, requiring great amounts of resources and advanced crafted materials. Who knows, we might even see some technological advancements in this game, imagine working towards a metal age? Interesting concept.

I dont really think this should be added for awhile, I think it would be beneficial to slowly introduce steam punk items before doing something this advanced, and maybe when you run out of fuel over the ocean, you fall into it and are stuck until you get some form of movement again, but if you wait too long, your character will react like how it does with the grue but with a kraken that attacks you with visible tentacles. Or maybe a giant shark eats you.

- - - Updated - - -

You guys are thinking too hard. Just add rope and a frog. Voila. Frog balloon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]443[/ATTACH]

Oh, and i think that recipe would be far too simple.