Why is this game not user friendly for newbies??

I am a newbie, I actually started playing the game because I fell in love with the art style and the storyline of all the characters also @Gashzer introduced to me this game  but it is really difficult game not because it is difficult to fight the bosses but it’s difficult as it’s  not clear how to do stuff like crafting stuff.

For example if you have to craft something the game gives you teeny tiny icons or pictures of the materials you need. In what world am I suppose to sit and guess this stuff? And imagine playing in split screen and you need to run and get my binoculars to see the materials and guess what it means?? I mean no hate I really enjoy playing this game but its difficult to get into if you don't have some experience gamer playing with you. I feel game should be easy to understand and difficult to play 

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 2

The game is kinda designed in that regard that you gotta figure things out more or less on your own or research by either getting help or checking other people play. The game design was always about figuring out and helping each other to find right strategies to help anyone at any skill level.

Most you can learn now is by examining things and checking your scrapbook, for there's an icon popping in and giving you info about every thing in DST's world.

You can also increase the hud size if you can't distinguish anything you see in the crafting menu. It's different now from singleplayer one for sake of adding more items and having a generally big catalogue to scroll through faster.

If you want to have specific items that you'll craft often be instantly on your screen in a click of a button - you can bookmark them by clicking on an item icon and pressing on one of the bookmarks on the right that are empty or to replace. I do that often if I need specific tools.

• Like 2

I agree what you are saying but sometimes a game should be about enjoying it, and I feel this is such a cool game that more people should get into but have no time to research about it as we are stuck in our boring corporate jobs, maybe a little help to start the game and get into it will be helpful as not everyone wants to put a lot of effort into a game at the start without knowing a lot about it. In the end every game is about making a profit. 

Also, not everyone has a big TV screen to increase the hud size as well. 

Bookmarking is a good idea though. Thanks:) 

If you hover the cursor over the crafting ingredients, the game tells you what they are, no need for guesswork.

ScreenShot2024-04-06at6_17_15PM.png.e8dc349a807d63d9e9997d4f55518bc9.png

Not sure if you can do this while using a controller. But it definitely works with a mouse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Not sure if this is exclusively a console problem or if PC players share in the pain- but the one thing that makes DST painful and confusing when playing on Xbox is that crafting recipes show little pictures of crafting ingredients but you can’t really tell what those ingredients are, and maybe with a mouse you can hover over each individual crafting ingredient to find out what it is but that is NOT the case on Xbox.

All you get is a blacked out shadow & you have to guess what the actual resource is.

a GOOD example of this can be seen when attempting to upgrade pearls hermit home, you need cookie cutter shells to upgrade her house but on Xbox you have to GUESS what that ingredient is because it doesn’t mouse over and give a description for it.

53 minutes ago, kiwikenobi said:

If you hover the cursor over the crafting ingredients, the game tells you what they are, no need for guesswork.

ScreenShot2024-04-06at6_17_15PM.png.e8dc349a807d63d9e9997d4f55518bc9.png

Not sure if you can do this while using a controller. But it definitely works with a mouse.

No.. that’s another one of the advantages KB+Mouse have over game console controllers.

8 hours ago, Kingcrusherxx said:

For example if you have to craft something the game gives you teeny tiny icons or pictures of the materials you need. In what world am I suppose to sit and guess this stuff? And imagine playing in split screen and you need to run and get my binoculars to see the materials and guess what it means??

What you say about the game being unfriendly to new people is right but this complaint has nothing to do with that, you can simply increase HUD size in options, there's separate options for crafting and inventory.

7 hours ago, Kingcrusherxx said:

I agree what you are saying but sometimes a game should be about enjoying it, and I feel this is such a cool game that more people should get into but have no time to research about it as we are stuck in our boring corporate jobs, maybe a little help to start the game and get into it will be helpful as not everyone wants to put a lot of effort into a game at the start without knowing a lot about it. In the end every game is about making a profit. 

Also, not everyone has a big TV screen to increase the hud size as well. 

Bookmarking is a good idea though. Thanks:) 

It's a lot of effort game tbh. It's something when you wanna really learn and get into ya gotta put that time into it a lot to master many aspects of it. Singleplayer is a lot more brutal than multiplayer with the tag of being unfair, multiplayer is that but is a lot more relaxed.

If you have enough hours you wanna sink into learning stuff, you can also turn on "relaxed mode" for taking less damage and dying not as much before getting into regular survival or endless modes (endless is better for not losing the world you play on, also higher world renewability plant wise).

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 10:44 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Not sure if this is exclusively a console problem or if PC players share in the pain- but the one thing that makes DST painful and confusing when playing on Xbox is that crafting recipes show little pictures of crafting ingredients but you can’t really tell what those ingredients are, and maybe with a mouse you can hover over each individual crafting ingredient to find out what it is but that is NOT the case on Xbox.

All you get is a blacked out shadow & you have to guess what the actual resource is.

a GOOD example of this can be seen when attempting to upgrade pearls hermit home, you need cookie cutter shells to upgrade her house but on Xbox you have to GUESS what that ingredient is because it doesn’t mouse over and give a description for it.

I've tried playing on the console several times and I just can't. I really wonder why people play there (aside from the fact that it may be the only possible way for some people to play), but this game has clearly always seemed to me to be made to be played on a computer. So, this is the first tip I would give to the @Kingcrusherxx, play on a computer if possible. Also, in the advanced settings there is an option called "Crafting Previews", I recommend activating the "All Recipes" option and consult the Scrapbook when you need it.

On 4/6/2024 at 11:15 PM, Mike23Ua said:

No.. that’s another one of the advantages KB+Mouse have over game console controllers.

I wouldn't call it "advantage" exactly. It's not like there's a competition going on between console/pc players. It's just a feature of the game, but it's unavailable there because of the physical limits of the platform. There are games that work better on computer and others that work better on console.

Edited by Castiliano

6 hours ago, Castiliano said:

I wouldn't call it "advantage" exactly. It's not like there's a competition going on between console/pc players.

Mike has a biased way of thinking about this in that Console players have an unfair treatment in this gaming space. They also blame it all to PC players

so yeah, best to just let them be and move on because we can't change their viewpoint

• Like 2
  • GL Happy 1

On 4/6/2024 at 5:24 PM, Kingcrusherxx said:

No. It being so hard to get into for newcomers IS where the joy comes from. Scaling insurmountable odds. Getting kicked down time and time again just to get back up. The rush of achieving a new goal or milestone you never thought possible before.

Sure, some games should be about enjoying them. But other games like DST should just be about getting your teeth kicked in.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

3 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

No. It being so hard to get into for newcomers IS where the joy comes from. Scaling insurmountable odds. Getting kicked down time and time again just to get back up. The rush of achieving a new goal or milestone you never thought possible before.

Sure, some games should be about enjoying them. But other games like DST should just be about getting your teeth kicked in.

Ehh.. not really.

DST is, was, and always will be.. the direct sequel to Solo DS.

This means that Klei & DST expect you to have the previous games prior knowledge.

And Solo DS goes a massively long way to teach players many of the games mechanics.

A lot of people claim that the franchise is this no hands held experience but we all know that isn’t exactly true now is it?

In Solo DS throughout at least the campaign mode you will learn the importance of items such as Tents for Sanity restoration/healing, bug nets, miners helmets, they even used to have pretty little cobblestone paths that lead the player directly to Farmcrops so they could learn how to make their own farms.

With DST Klei has even made a few changes to it as well! Giving players who join a season special starting items to survive with, and categorizing EXACTLY what items they expect you to use for each season in the Craft UI tabs.

DS & DST we’re never true no hands held experiences.. and we shouldn’t expect players who never played DS to jump into the multiplayer official sequel so blindly without that other games previously learnable knowledge.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

In Solo DS throughout at least the campaign mode you will learn the importance of items such as Tents for Sanity restoration/healing, bug nets, miners helmets, they even used to have pretty little cobblestone paths that lead the player directly to Farmcrops so they could learn how to make their own farms.

Don’t you have to get through like 2-3 worlds that dump you into hell to get to this point.

If you’re able to survive a Winter start with minimal preparation I really doubt you wouldn’t know how a farm plot or tent works at that point.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Ehh.. not really.

DST is, was, and always will be.. the direct sequel to Solo DS.

This means that Klei & DST expect you to have the previous games prior knowledge.

And Solo DS goes a massively long way to teach players many of the games mechanics.

A lot of people claim that the franchise is this no hands held experience but we all know that isn’t exactly true now is it?

With DST Klei has even made a few changes to it as well! Giving players who join a season special starting items to survive with, and categorizing EXACTLY what items they expect you to use for each season in the Craft UI tabs.

DS & DST we’re never true no hands held experiences.. and we shouldn’t expect players who never played DS to jump into the multiplayer official sequel so blindly without that other games previously learnable knowledge.

Didn't you used to argue that it was a spin-off and not a sequel?
'Do not site the deep magic to me, witch. I was there when it was written' :p

On 4/6/2024 at 8:03 PM, Kingcrusherxx said:

I am a newbie, I actually started playing the game because I fell in love with the art style and the storyline of all the characters also @Gashzer introduced to me this game  but it is really difficult game not because it is difficult to fight the bosses but it’s difficult as it’s  not clear how to do stuff like crafting stuff.

For example if you have to craft something the game gives you teeny tiny icons or pictures of the materials you need. In what world am I suppose to sit and guess this stuff? And imagine playing in split screen and you need to run and get my binoculars to see the materials and guess what it means?? I mean no hate I really enjoy playing this game but its difficult to get into if you don't have some experience gamer playing with you. I feel game should be easy to understand and difficult to play 

I'll come in time, I promise. 
I used to stop playing for biiiig periods of time cause it used to frustrate me a lot, especially when you made so much progress. 
It'll just kinda click into place eventually. 

Kinda fun to look back on too, I remember how disappointed I was when I discovered the summer fires... at the time i remember I had spent so much time building a base with my partner and then it was all gone :(

• Like 1