Moon rock idol should cost an iridescent gem instead of a purple gem

Purple gems are everywhere and lead to people exploiting a mechanic that should only be used for players who really want to play as another character.

Iridescent gems however, are harder to get, but not impossible if somebody truly wants to change their character. 

It also makes sense lore-wise because iridescent gems are tied to the moon, just like the celestial portal, while purple gems are more related to shadows.

We’d get far less complaints about the celestial portal + another use for iridescent gems + it makes more sense lore-wise. Thoughts?

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Health 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Potato Cup 1

3 minutes ago, EatenCheetos said:

It also makes sense lore-wise because iridescent gems are tied to the moon, just like the celestial portal, while purple gems are more related to shadows.

Hello yes, I don't really have an opinion on the rest of your suggestion but I take issue with this. Purple gems are not exclusively related to shadows, the telelocator setup for example is pretty neutral, and slow down rounds are actually an example of them being used in conjunction with lunar magic to warp time. So I suppose the purple gem is moreso a spacetime gem which also has very adverse effects on the psyche.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EatenCheetos said:

That is precisely the point

why remove strats that you can not use if you don't like them and that allow skipping unfun parts of the game, like potato RNG?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, EatenCheetos said:

Purple gems are everywhere and lead to people exploiting a mechanic that should only be used for players who really want to play as another character.

Iridescent gems however, are harder to get, but not impossible if somebody truly wants to change their character. 

We’d get far less complaints about the celestial portal + another use for iridescent gems + it makes more sense lore-wise. Thoughts?

Tell me you hate fun without telling me you hate fun. Swapping characters is fun.

With how unique each character is becoming with the skill trees, there's a lot of incentive to swap characters to enjoy some different play styles and perks. Want to do a bunch of farming? Swap to wormwood. Want to do a bunch of damage? Wolfy. Want to mass farm a bunch of twigs and grass? Wicker.

Forcing players to stay as a character they no longer want to play would just feel bad.

• Like 8

It doesn't even make sense, because character swaps are normally done much more in the end game, which doesn't even make sense to be "robbed" in such a way, character swaps are used a lot to be able to make farms and mega bases, this idea of swapping the purple gem for an iridescent gem would only make it even more difficult for solo players who like to make mega bases and play on the map for more than 100 days, which would make it more difficult to collect resources and build farms like the ones that use winona, and the that need Wickerbottom, among others.

Interesting how people like to dictate the rules of other people's gameplay.

You may simply never use the portal, but that's never enough.

So you want to make life difficult for other players to feel good.

There are a limited number of purple gems in the world. Most of them are in the ruins and under the protection of the Damaged Bishops.

To achieve more, the player is forced to defeat a boss with 27,000 health every 20 days or take the best route, which is to renew the ruins and, to do so, they will have to defeat the feared Ancient Fuelweaver.

Interestingly, if someone plays in a group they may have a Warly, Winona and a Wilson as support on their team. The entire group benefits and will never need the portal.

In turn, those who play alone have to be prevented (or made extremely difficult) from using the portal to receive part of these benefits.

I would even like to see if Klei will make the portal difficult to displease the absolute majority of the community and, mainly, its biggest content creator about the game (Glermz).

Edited by Cruvimaster
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EatenCheetos said:

I don't really mind the swapping either way. I'd be ok with this though, something to work toward

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grm9 said:

why remove strats that you can not use if you don't like them and that allow skipping unfun parts of the game, like potato RNG?

Potatos will no longer be subject to rng after this beta. You can rummage through scrap to reliably find potatoes now.. Unless they've changed it...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, grm9 said:

why remove strats that you can not use if you don't like them

2 hours ago, chaosmonkey said:

Tell me you hate fun without telling me you hate fun.

1 hour ago, Cruvimaster said:

So you want to make life difficult for other players to feel good.

I don’t think those are fair descriptors. I’m trying to curb swapping-related exploits that destroy character balance. Such as gaining Winona’s catapults or gaining Warly’s dishes then swapping back, or swapping to Wolfgang to fight a boss then swapping back.

2 hours ago, chaosmonkey said:

Forcing players to stay as a character they no longer want to play would just feel bad.

Iridescent gems are renewable, so they wouldn’t be forced to play as a character they don’t want. The reasoning for switching to iridescent gems is because they aren’t easily acquired in mass amounts, thus stopping constant switching.

There are a limited number of purple gems in the world.

This is not true. They are quite easy to get by combining the very common red gems & blue gems.

I would even like to see if Klei will make the portal difficult to displease the absolute majority of the community and, mainly, its biggest content creator about the game (Glermz).

Both of these statements are also not true.

Edited by EatenCheetos
  • Like 2

I believe players are killing werepig before they even think of switching to another character.

Besides, why I don't think a moon rock idol should cost an iridescent gem is because the idol has a purple gem in the sprite. It's not consistent. 

However, it wouldn't entirely hurt my playstyle to begin with. I don't character switch much. However, it does tread on my identity as a player if suddenly everyone played the same way I do by force.

My thunder would be distributed among every player against their will, and to be quite frank with you all, not everyone can handle my thunder.

I don't care if it gets in, but my vote is that moon rock idol should stay the same.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, EatenCheetos said:

I don’t think those are fair descriptors. I’m trying to curb swapping-related exploits that destroy character balance. Such as gaining Winona’s catapults or gaining Warly’s dishes then swapping back, or swapping to Wolfgang to fight a boss then swapping back

why? you can not do that if you don't like doing that, why prevent others from having fun if they want to do that?

36 minutes ago, chirsg said:

Potatos will no longer be subject to rng after this beta. You can rummage through scrap to reliably find potatoes now.. Unless they've changed it...

there's a 6.25% chance to get a potato from rummaging

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EatenCheetos said:

Because exploits shouldn’t be a part of the meta?

what does an exploit mean in that case and why do you care about the meta?

• Like 2

Personally, what I would really want is the construction of the portal to feel more impactful. I personally think the changing cost is fine, but I wish there was a bit more work into making a structure like the portal, and I feel 23 moonrocks and 1 purple gem  isn’t really doing that. I would take a considerably harder construction project with the changing cost being the same then the construction being the same and the changing cost being more expensive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

Personally, what I would really want is the construction of the portal to feel more impactful. I personally think the changing cost is fine, but I wish there was a bit more work into making a structure like the portal, and I feel 23 moonrocks and 1 purple gem  isn’t really doing that. I would take a considerably harder construction project with the changing cost being the same then the construction being the same and the changing cost being more expensive.

Increasing the initial cost could be good, but the swapping cost should definitely increase to disincentivize swap strategies.

Another idea to do this would be to have a cooldown on how often players can swap, like once per 30 days (or something higher).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EatenCheetos said:

Increasing the initial cost could be good, but the swapping cost should definitely increase to disincentivize swap strategies.

Another idea to do this would be to have a cooldown on how often players can swap, like once per 30 days (or something higher).

The issue is by doing this, you encourage the old strat before the portal, which was making alt accounts and using those characters you wanted to play temporarily. I used to have quite a few friends who did that for things like Wicker/Maxwell to utilize their perks, and then go back to their main account to play the character they wanted to play.

• Like 1

From the creator of offscreen wildfires, we present moon rock idol iridescent gem

These suggestions are so bad in so many ways that i cant even know where to start

• Like 4
  • GL Happy 3

This idea is very interesting and fun as a house rule when playing with friends - perhaps not changing character on public servers or not even building the portal in your own private servers when playing with friends. Makes picking a character have a proper impact, as this world specifically will have all the things that go along with Wickerbottom or Winona etc. based on someones character choice, thus having way more of an impact on it all.

However, as said above, it is not a good idea as a general Vanilla rule for Klei to implement, be that with cooldowns or iridescent gems. Either it makes people just have to suffer and farm for iri gems or be afk for a long while, which just ruins fun for no good reason. Pushback would be enormous, one of the most subbed workshop mods would be removing this change and people would use alt accounts to get around it anyway.

There even is a mod on the workshop right now that changes the cost to 1 iri gem and a moon rock, just as suggested here. Use that, since having it in the base game is just not plausible.

• Like 1

I can understand thinking the celestial portal is a bit too "free". I share the sentiment. But the iridescent gem is jumping way past balanced, inconvenient, difficult, and straight to ridiculous.

If I'm teaching the game to someone, and they decide halfway through that they're not really jiving with the character they've got, last thing I want to do is go through either crafting all of my actually good gems as Wilson, or going all the way down to the ruins to make a starcallers & deconstruction staff, wait for the full moon, do the moonstone event, and THEN they can change their character.
Once.
The challenge isn't the hard part. It's the sheer amount of time that needs to get sunk into it. By that point, my friend could've gotten super burnt out and no longer see the charm in the game.

Sure the archives have 2 free ones. But then what? Gotta do moon stone twice more for that content! Riveting stuff.

In my opinion, character swapping would need a full rework if its balance was thrown into active internal discussion. As it is now, there's only so many changes you could do to it without making it bogus, all of which feel unsatisfying for an already unsatisfying system. Last thing we need is to put more band-aids over an existing band-aid.

On an unrelated note:

4 hours ago, Cruvimaster said:

There are a limited number of purple gems in the world. Most of them are in the ruins and under the protection of the Damaged Bishops.

To achieve more, the player is forced to defeat a boss with 27,000 health every 20 days or take the best route, which is to renew the ruins and, to do so, they will have to defeat the feared Ancient Fuelweaver.

You can craft purple gems with a red gem + blue gem as any character at a prestihatitator. These can be mass farmed via hounds (even without varg farms), earthquakes, stalagmites, winter's feast trees...

There's also a 0.01% (x3) chance to get one from a tumbleweed. Yay tumbleweeds!

2 hours ago, chirsg said:

Besides, why I don't think a moon rock idol should cost an iridescent gem is because the idol has a purple gem in the sprite. It's not consistent.

Ocuvigil_Build_old.png
The ocuvigil used to be crafted with a yellow moonlens. When Klei changed the recipe for balance reasons, they changed the sprite.

Luckily, Klei needing to change artwork for something is never out of the question.

Edited by Auth
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, EatenCheetos said:

Such as gaining Winona’s catapults or gaining Warly’s dishes then swapping back

To setup catapults, one would have a looot of resources ready to make em. same with warly and his spices, gotta farm first. those 2 aren't immediately op when you switch to them

also the celestial porta uses a purgem moonlens for it, would it also use iridescent gems now?

man megabasers will still be eating after this

• Like 1