Is the pure brilliance farm TOO op? (Spoiler: Yes)

A lightning rod, a few reads of the end is nigh and a Wilson grants you all the pure brilliance you will ever need forever. No reason to go to the riffs again at all because you dont need pure brilliance. They become a mere temporary land mark.

If you enjoy using this farm, remember you realistically only will use this farm once in your world to get every pure brilliance you need for a life time.

There will obviously be people who hate i am suggesting to nerf their new farm since i see many are enthusiastic about it, but put your biases of discovery aside and really think about it:

Is this really healthy for the game? Is this balanced? Is there a good way to balance it that still makes it fun? Think of the long term.

Edited by Jakepeng99
  • Like 7
  • Wavey 1
  • Potato Cup 4

It's not healthy but who care? Anyone who oppose such kind things has been desensitized and be forced to learn accepted them.

You know that Klei won't nerf anything for this, and the only thing you'll get will be Just don't use it on your world.

Edited by Cassielu

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, grm9 said:

do you have fun getting pure brilliance normally?

Yeah its alright. It feels more rewarding to get.

42 minutes ago, Cassielu said:

It's not healthy but who care? Anyone who oppose such kind things has been desensitized and be forced to learn accepted them.

You know that Klei won't nerf anything for this, and the only thing you'll get will be Just don't use it on your world.

That is a blunt and inconstructive reason. You admit it is bad for the game but use the "who cares" card.

You forget this is a multiplayer game too. This scenario can and will be forced upon players even if they don't want to use it. I hope klei addresses it, like maybe adding a max on the screen and make them destroy lightning rod. I think that would be an ok balance. I am not sure of a good way to balance it.

Edited by Jakepeng99

Summoning lightning leading to charged glass in a moonstorm makes perfect sense thematically. It's already been nerfed to 1 glass per lightning strike which is about as far as it can be balanced on that side.

I'd personally prefer they just get rid of the wilson transmutes for pure brilliance and pure horror if this is actually considered a balance issue.

Edited by chaosmonkey
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Yeah its alright. It feels more rewarding to get

holding space near rocks and sometimes moving away from the sleep inducing enemies which's names i forgot isn't that fun imo

That is a blunt and inconstructive reason

what's there that needs to be constructed?

You admit it is bad for the game but use the "who cares" card

you don't, people usually say that because if it'll get removed, they'd need to put a mod for adding it back onto every server they play on and don't play servers without that mod while people that don't like it can simply not use it on all servers that they play on without having to play on PC, install mods and not play on half of the servers

This scenario can and will be forced upon players even if they don't want to use it

you can not use pure brilliance that others got that way and go mine it yourself if you don't want to use pure brilliance that people got that way 

Edited by grm9
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, chaosmonkey said:

I'd personally prefer they just get rid of the wilson transmutes for pure brilliance and pure horror.

That technically would fix the problem, but it would make Wilson's affinities worthless.

19 minutes ago, chaosmonkey said:

Summoning lightning leading to charged glass in a moonstorm makes perfect sense thematically. It's already been nerfed to 1 glass per lightning strike which is about as far as it can be balanced on that side.

Yeah i am not saying to remove it. Maybe it is more of a Wickerbottom bookcase issue than a moonstorm issue.

16 minutes ago, grm9 said:

you can not use pure brilliance that others got that way and go mine it yourself if you like mining it 

Solution to dealing with large imbalance should not be self imposed hinderances.

you don't, people usually say that because if it'll get removed, they'd need to put a mod for adding it back onto every server they play on and don't play servers without that mod while people that don't like it can simply not use it on all servers that they play on without having to play on PC, install mods and not play on half of the servers

I suggested to nerf it, not remove it entirely. And i doubt your prediction is close to realistic.

holding space near rocks and sometimes moving away from the sleep inducing enemies which's names i forgot isn't that fun imo

Its alright, there is some excitment for the reward since they feel more valuable. It is better than just pressing right click on books and staying still once in your world.

what's there that needs to be constructed?

A solution to it being unhealthy. It is a problem. It is a problem and "just try ignore it" is an even more unhealthy solution.

Edited by Jakepeng99

13 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Solution to dealing with large imbalance should not be self imposed challenges

why, and what is balance even about?

16 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

I suggested to nerf it, not remove it entirely

the response still applies

17 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

And i doubt your prediction is close to realistic

why and which part of the response was prediction?

17 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Its alright, there is some excitment for the reward since they feel more valuable

not really, getting something extremely rare and good through doing something boring still isn't fun

18 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

A solution to it being unhealthy

why is it?

19 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

It is a problem

why is it?

19 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

It is a problem and "just try ignore it" is an even more unhealthy solution

why is it? why is not interacting with something that won't negatively impact others if you don't interact with it and that you don't like bad?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Solution to dealing with large imbalance should not be self imposed hinderances.

…whats the large imbalance of having a bunch if pure brilliance?? If you already have the rifts up and go to 1 (one) rift, you get ~20 pure brilliance if all 12 crystals are up, which is ~20 repair kits, which sets your repairing needs for 2 years.

Yeah, you won’t need to go to a rift as much, but is that saying a lot? It’s not like there’s revolutionary gameplay going over and harvesting the ryftstals that you are missing out by taking the mass transmute option.

We do not need to nerf mechanics that might make your gameplay easier long term, especially when the intented use is speeding up farming minerals for the champion, which it is very good at accomplishing.

• Like 8

Yeah honestly I think this balance might be pretty good right now. I have more than enough pure brilliance just doing rifts in my long term single player world. In a multiplayer world, pure brilliance can be hard to come by. Having a way to mass produce it seems beneficial in that scenario.

• Like 1

We really need a decent farm of pure brilliance in the late game, I can give you some reasons for that:

1 - Lunar Siphonator is very time consuming to be done. And kill Celestial Champions is getting more and more necessary to megabasing.
2 - When we play with multiple people in late game worlds the Rift maybe is not enough.
3 - Decoration.
4 - The demand for that will probably increase with post rift new craftings. 

28 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

…whats the large imbalance of having a bunch if pure brilliance?? If you already have the rifts up and go to 1 (one) rift, you get ~20 pure brilliance if all 12 crystals are up, which is ~20 repair kits, which sets your repairing needs for 2 years.

Yeah, you won’t need to go to a rift as much, but is that saying a lot? It’s not like there’s revolutionary gameplay going over and harvesting the ryftstals that you are missing out by taking the mass transmute option.

We do not need to nerf mechanics that might make your gameplay easier long term, especially when the intented use is speeding up farming minerals for the champion, which it is very good at accomplishing.

2 years is a big exagerration but you make a decent point. I still think it needs a nerf or change though.

1 minute ago, Habakkuk said:

4 - The demand for that will probably increase with post rift new craftings. 

I imagine there will be multiple new sources added to compensate.

Hear me out cause this is going to get weird…

What DST needs most, is more randomized mob encounters.

And if Rifts & MoonStorms were more dangerous (as in having more types of mobs that can spawn from/in them..) then players would have to deal with Risk Vs Reward.

For example, yay your spamming lightning strikes for free rewards right? Yeah well in the hamlet DLC want to know what ELSE lightning brings to life? ;) 

• Like 2
  • Wavey 1

Just now, Jakepeng99 said:

2 years is a big exagerration but you make a decent point.

This isn't an exaggeration, for my case. With my boss setups and a double ruins clear, I go through roughly 10 repair kits a year. Most of those go into the sword/smasher, with ~1-2 going to the helm. 

2 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

I still think it needs a nerf or change though.

I don’t really see that. This isn’t a “core” resource like nightmare fuel or ruins gems where having a surplus can lead to massive advantages and are usually sought after for the entire game. This is a resource that has some nice uses, but outside of those uses are not very required for many things. Heck, most people who have an excess of pure brilliance just use it for decor because it looks nice on the ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakepeng99 said:

That is a blunt and inconstructive reason. You admit it is bad for the game but use the "who cares" card.

You forget this is a multiplayer game too. This scenario can and will be forced upon players even if they don't want to use it. I hope klei addresses it, like maybe adding a max on the screen and make them destroy lightning rod. I think that would be an ok balance. I am not sure of a good way to balance it.

I know and support that theory but I'm just betting this is how it ends. This card wins Klei's favor every time.;)

Edited by Cassielu
  • Sad 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

You know what, since we are already there why don't we just nerf wicker to the ground?? you can get all the sticks youll ever need in a minute, you can farm all the food you need with her that you will ever need, you can get infinite light that youll ever need!! (irony, joking, not seriusly)

• GL Happy 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Hear me out cause this is going to get weird…

What DST needs most, is more randomized mob encounters.

And if Rifts & MoonStorms were more dangerous (as in having more types of mobs that can spawn from/in them..) then players would have to deal with Risk Vs Reward.

For example, yay your spamming lightning strikes for free rewards right? Yeah well in the hamlet DLC want to know what ELSE lightning brings to life? ;) 

Interesting idea. Not sure of a good execution though.

25 minutes ago, Cassielu said:

I know and support that theory but I'm just betting this is how it ends. This card wins Klei's favor every time.;)

Yeah you are right. No hard feelings. Sorry for being rash.

This isn't an exaggeration, for my case. With my boss setups and a double ruins clear, I go through roughly 10 repair kits a year. Most of those go into the sword/smasher, with ~1-2 going to the helm. 

If the boss setups are what i imagine (catapults, flingos and such, or things that make them much easier) then i dont think it is a good comparison since you are not taking damage most the time. I am not against that try to nulify every boss playstyle, but it should not be the main comparison.

This isn’t a “core” resource

It is evolving into a core lategame resource.

Edited by Jakepeng99

Interesting idea. Not sure of a good execution though.

Yeah you are right. No hard feelings.

One of the truly unique things about a RogueLite/like/survival game is that in most cases: There is always a Risk vs Reward factor..

Theres always this moment (especially in RogueLites) where the game will literally give you an option to safely return back to the hub and “bank” all your earned skill points and artifacts, OR to venture deeper into the dungeons against more difficult unknown upcoming threats.

Even Minecraft has this… you can only farm certain resources at night, but in doing so you set yourself up for, whatever random horrors might spawn that night.

Without DST having that, the game is a mostly predictable “chore” of go here: do this, collect this, build that..

Lets make one thing perfectly clear here: Wild Rifts are a gigantic portal opening up in your game world and spitting out whatever may be on the other side..

If Klei was EVER going to make DST more like being outside at night in Minecraft, Funny otherworldly rifts would be the way to accomplish that.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Wavey 1

15 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

If the boss setups are what i imagine (catapults, flingos and such, or things that make them much easier) then i dont think it is a good comparison since you are not taking damage most the time. I am not against that try to nulify every boss playstyle, but it should not be the main comparison.

Whike it is technically true, its still worth pointing out. Even in cases where you are still doing a majority of the damage (like DFly with only bone armors), you need 2 repair kits tops to dish out the damage needed to kill her. The only boss that’s a real exception is bee queen, but thats because bee queen is a boss ever and there are much better methods to deal with it that require minimal setup (like the twins or armored bearger).

15 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

It is evolving into a core lategame resource.

While it is, its not evolving into one you need massive amounts of. Most of the items you make from it either are unbreakable by themselves, or break and can be repaired completely by one repair kit. Compare that to nightmare fuel, which are used in a vast array of breakable items, or are needed to refuel items in decent quantities.

Edited by Maxil20

2 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

That technically would fix the problem, but it would make Wilson's affinities worthless.

dont u think people using wilson affinity branch to craft purebrilliance before this farm possible ?
who would choose to farm infused shard old way, waiting it come mine and if lucky one pool drop 3 infused shard that equal to 1 purebrilliance.. and so u know usually they only drop 2 shard.
wilson better off taking other branch than using point for these affinity items transmute .. 
i also think that pure horor should be transmuted from nm fuel. not from dreadstone :flustered: i mean there not much use of purehoror and dreadstone farming is way too limited.. 

27 minutes ago, prettynuggets said:

i also think that pure horor should be transmuted from nm fuel

Oh i like it. Would actually give a pathway to get dreadstone from Nm fuel even if it was a 9:1 ratio.