If you had to remove 1 DST character who would it be?

Remove 1 DST Character  

140 members have voted

1. 1. If you HAD to completely remove/delete a character from DST who would you scrap?

• Wilson
    • Willow
    • Webber
    • Wurt
    • Wes
    • Warly
    • Maxwell
    • Wigfrid
    • Wickerbottom
    • Woodie
    • Wendy
    • Wolfgang
    • WX-87
    • Wortox
    • Wormwood
    • Winona
    • Wanda
    • Walter

Maxwell. I like balance. I can accept some characters being "way over the top" than the rest, but I think Maxwell got buffed to a point he breaks almost all aspects of the game.

- Hes THE gatherer. And he can farm resources in a PASSIVE way, which completely breaks the survival aspect of the game. You can just walk around while your shadows do almost all the chopping, mining, fighting, etc. Even at "niche" things like salt farming hes THE best, again, without even moving a finger while his shadows kill all the cookie cutters and mine all of the salt. And EVEN WITHOUT A SKILL TREE Maxwell still surpasses Woodie on wood gathering...

- The "Wall" spell completely breaks most bosses mechanics and fights. He can solo any boss by just spamming wall and sitting while his shadows do everything, which is lame. And multiplayer boss fights become a ridiculous "Press F simulator" if theres a Maxwell around...

- His damage output can be insane, I think he does even more damage than Wolfgang, which is supposed to be "the damage dealer character"

- And hes able to read Wicker's books (really Klei?), which kind of ended up replacing her as a character. I have seen countless times people farming books with Wicker to later switch to what is now "the improved Wicker" Maxwell.

Edited by kroban
  • Like 2
  • Big Ups 3

26 minutes ago, kroban said:

Maxwell. I like balance. I can accept some characters being "way over the top" than the rest, but I think Maxwell got buffed to a point he breaks almost all aspects of the game.

Not at all. The only powerful thing he has is the ability to harvest resources without harvesting them. If you enjoy chopping trees or picking up grass then knock yourself out. I've done that too many times and Maxwell is my salvation from repetitive gameplay. 

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

12 hours ago, . . . said:

His abilities drastically made the game easier and are completely broken compared to the OG vanilla cast abilities then Klei adopted later the mentality of "make everyone OP then nobody is OP"

You think Wortox is better than some of the original abilities people had?

You think unnecessary healing is better than double damage and a speed bonus? What??

• Like 1

14 hours ago, . . . said:

Wortox. Because then it would remove Walter, Wanda, and the RPG-ification of the entire DST cast. It would also remove character skills too and reworks and then we would've had more game content instead.

Though I would prefer remove the beefalo trader guy then skins wouldn't exist and DST wouldn't be a mega-base barbie dress up simulator.

Go touch some grass, you seems excited

I picked wes, because he’s the least interesting with also the least potential for interesting changes. 

walter may be unpopular, but he’s at least unique.

wes doesnt have anything really going on outside of “difficult”, which is more tedium than actual difficulty

• Like 1

I was tempted to vote for Wes. But that would have been too easy.

But by GOD I was not expecting the sheer vitriol that Walter's seeing innthe poll. And I voted for the poor bugger! I know he's got his problems, but damn guys, 30% of the total votes?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

But by GOD I was not expecting the sheer vitriol that Walter's seeing innthe poll. And I voted for the poor bugger! I know he's got his problems, but damn guys, 30% of the total votes?

I know right. It's insane. Not that I particularly like him. And to be honest he's at the bottom of the list because I nearly forgot to add him until I looked up the character list instead of relying on memory. I think he just needs some tweaks

9 minutes ago, InkArts said:

I know right. It's insane. Not that I particularly like him. And to be honest he's at the bottom of the list because I nearly forgot to add him until I looked up the character list instead of relying on memory. I think he just needs some tweaks

I was genuinely surprised. Like i know a lot of people see him as weak, but his downside isnt that much worse than wormwoods, and he has woby and his slingshot, which are both super nice early game.

i like walter conceptually he just needs a little boost to have his woby be as fast as a beef, and his slingshot to be easier to use/cheaper

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Not at all. The only powerful thing he has is the ability to harvest resources without harvesting them. If you enjoy chopping trees or picking up grass then knock yourself out. I've done that too many times and Maxwell is my salvation from repetitive gameplay. 

After playing like 3k hours in DST of course I don't enjoy doing those things, I like to play Woodie basically because of that. But Maxwell takes it to the extreme. Just with wood for example, its ridiculous how easy he can chop an entire forest worth of wood, have it all picked up and landed right at his feets in like, less than 10 minutes. Without having to chop a single tree by himself. He even has the "Amazon" mechanic now to just tp entire stacks of whatever he farms across an entire map. All of this in an extremely cheap way, a couple of nightmare fuels.

That's not even mentioning like I said, the fact he can read Wicker's books. You can farm entire bundles of food, grass, reeds, etc with barely any effort by just standing still and spamming rechargable books while shadows pick up everything. I have seen Maxwells picking up like 2k grass this way. IN A DAY.

I like the concept of what Maxwell represents as a character: a wizard using his shadow minions to do the dirty job for him. But its just ridiculous how strong he is right now. I have seen people almost afk soloing bosses like Dragonfly as him. Hell, even the Enraged Klaus. Hes an afk character on a survival game, its insane.

Edited by kroban
  • Like 1

Wolfgang only because he talks in the third person.
As soon as he stops he is an acceptable member in my book.

image.png.3aa407a39dcb86d3d0e0d0e36da8420f.png
I took that personally

Edited by Evelo

I expected more votes for Winona! I barely see anyone play her or talk about her, and I get why. She doesn't offer much from a gameplay perspective other than the catapults (and most players just build those and then swap character) and from a lore perspective... she didn't really do anything meaningful yet. 

I guess people just hate Walter way more.

8 hours ago, Horsheen said:

You think unnecessary healing is better than double damage and a speed bonus? What??

Yes, because the don't starve franchise is a survival game not a fighting game, so any character which has something which is basically akin to soft god mode in terms of survival is op.

6 hours ago, arubaro said:

Go touch some grass, you seems excited

You touch grass whatever that means, also blocked.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, . . . said:

Yes, because the don't starve franchise is a survival game not a fighting game, so any character which has something which is basically akin to soft god mode in terms of survival is op

surviving only was an issue for most people back in 2013-2015, now most people get bored if they only survive and do nothing else, if how good a character is depends on how good they are at simply not dying then all characters are too good and should be removed because not dying isn't an issue

Edited by grm9

Just now, grm9 said:

surviving only was an issue for most people back in 2013-2015, now most people get bored if they only survive and do nothing else

Well even if you're good at surviving that doesn't change the fact Don't Starve is at its core a survival game, so anything that trivializes survival is op to me.

1 minute ago, . . . said:

Well even if you're good at surviving that doesn't change the fact Don't Starve is at its core a survival game, so anything that trivializes survival is op to me

minimal knowledge about how to get food and kite nightmares does, should all food get removed and nightmares be made impossible to kite?

Edited by grm9

13 minutes ago, grm9 said:

minimal knowledge about how to get food and kite nightmares does, should all food get removed and nightmares be made impossible to kite?

let's just agree to disagree ok since to you wortox is probably the most balanced character.

As a person that loves Walter as a character and basically mains him... I really don't get this much hate on the character.

Like yeah, hes clearly at the bottom of the barrel right now, even more so considering the Skill Tree characters. He's far from being as efficient as others. But y'all should try him beyond the "UhH I gOT 1 HiT LosST SomE sAnItY, wALtUuH bAd ChArAtCeR".

Like, actually play a run as him. The fact that most players know so little about Walter yet he gathers this much hate amazes me.

You can deny A LOT of the sanity lost from damage by just wearing a heavy body armor and pinetree hat. Armor in DST isn't the same as in DS, you don't need the 2 pieces. Yet people seem to think that he just can't receive any damage lol.

His slingshot can do wonders, specially in ruins. Insta freezing with cold rounds and you can kill rooks with barely any dodging. And cursed rounds can stunlock lots of mobs in general.

But I would even go as far as to say that he's the only character that really makes you feel the raw survival aspect of the game. For example, and let's be real here: **** like the Tam o' Shanter basically solves all sanity issues for the rest of the characters. That isn't the case for Walter, which makes you find different ways to gain and mantain your sanity. Like basing with the idea of having trees near you as much as possible to both deny the sanity lost from missing HP and to gain as much as the tamo gives to other characters.

But yeah, if theres one thing thats clear is that he needs the skill tree the most...

Edited by kroban
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, DegenerateFurry said:

Wortox. I don't like his demon aesthetic and that's the only reason.

I though if anyone - you'd love his design

7 hours ago, . . . said:

let's just agree to disagree ok since to you wortox is probably the most balanced character.

Overhealing to an experienced player is irrelevant making Wortox not only not overpowered but actually pretty bad. That's why he got teleporting buffs.

I get you, removing survival aspect entirely sounds crazy. That's why Willow didn't had fire immunity and still dosen't have heat immunity even tho I think she should. Nowdays she has fire immunity, wx-78 has darkness, overheating and freezing immunity, wiker has night and rain immunity, Wanda has infinite revives, and I'm waiting for Maxwell rework to remove his sanity straight up.

Is it really a big deal? 

6 hours ago, kroban said:

I really don't get this much hate on the character.

hes clearly at the bottom of the barrel right now

You seem to get it. 

You can deny A LOT of the sanity lost from damage by just wearing a heavy body armor and pinetree hat. Armor in DST isn't the same as in DS, you don't need the 2 pieces. Yet people seem to think that he just can't receive any damage lol.

Sanity issue of Walter affects beginners and they don't get his mechanics because he is weird. For others, this is not why he sucks. 

His slingshot can do wonders, specially in ruins. Insta freezing with cold rounds and you can kill rooks with barely any dodging. And cursed rounds can stunlock lots of mobs in general.

No it cannot. Ice rounds are almost identical with ice staff. As for combat... Walter gameplay be like: 

Screenshot_20240316-084805_YouTube.jpg

12 hours ago, kroban said:

After playing like 3k hours in DST of course I don't enjoy doing those things, I like to play Woodie basically because of that. But Maxwell takes it to the extreme. Just with wood for example, its ridiculous how easy he can chop an entire forest worth of wood, have it all picked up and landed right at his feets in like, less than 10 minutes. Without having to chop a single tree by himself. He even has the "Amazon" mechanic now to just tp entire stacks of whatever he farms across an entire map. All of this in an extremely cheap way, a couple of nightmare fuels.

That's a good point. Woodie is perfect for those who want to speed things up rather than completly ignore those parts of the game. I'd rather skip them entirely however. "Amazon" is amazing especially since logs take more space than boards which is stupid and not worth it after sawhorse change. 

12 hours ago, kroban said:

That's not even mentioning like I said, the fact he can read Wicker's books. You can farm entire bundles of food, grass, reeds, etc with barely any effort by just standing still and spamming rechargable books while shadows pick up everything. I have seen Maxwells picking up like 2k grass this way. IN A DAY.

I'm a Wiker main and you just made me drool.

I don't see the issue. Before I had to use lureplants but now I can design my grass farm however I want. It kinda witheres grass and is an overkill anyways, so just having 40 grass at base and summoning 1 worker at it periodically with no books is good enough if not better. 

On 3/15/2024 at 1:37 AM, . . . said:

His abilities drastically made the game easier and are completely broken compared to the OG vanilla cast abilities then Klei adopted later the mentality of "make everyone OP then nobody is OP"

Nonsense. Every single person in DS was broken unrelated to their perks, simply owing to mechanics like armor stacking. Not to mention how blown out of proportion Wortox was at release.

A solo person can easily replace soul healing with a few shovel uses. Punching the occasional butterfly also nets you almost half the healing a soul does to Wortox, so there's way more than enough healing to go around for any character at all times in vanilla.

As for "but he has an inbuilt lazy explorer!!!!", let's take a look back at all the people crafting and using lazy explorer as beyond a cane that drops from AG, besides FW. You will find no one in their right mind to care. Half a screen of teleporting is extremely underwhelming no matter how you look at it, even when the price is just killing a mob.

It took him two years to get an actually interesting perk that isn't entirely replacable.

Some characters that were overall better at Wortox long before their reworks, largely owing to being the best at something non-replacable:

WX, Wickerbottom, Maxwell, Wendy, Wigfrid, Webber, Wormwood.

Interesting results. Seems like some people voted on who they think is most problematic, which is what explains Wanda's second place finish, and some people voted based on who they think is the most pointless ("I never play them anyway so I wouldn't miss them"), which is why Walter is the runaway first place finish.

• Like 1