Everything we know about Wagstaff's Steam account.

The newest update allows Wagstaff to speak directly in the chat, complete with a username and profile icon:

image.png.89cd55867be814184498e69f37c69e9e.png

This implies that Wagstaff, the Don't Starve Together character, is a real person who personally joins our worlds to help us through the moonstorms. While we can't see him in the player list and so can't check his profile directly, we can figure out a few things about him just by observing him in-game:

Firstly, his username of "Grainy Transmission" is changed to "Wet Grainy Transmission" if it's raining, presumably as a bit that we don't understand due to not being in his friend group.

image.png.b9973de5caa6a4b8808d7a82757ed336.png

His messages are also very fast and very repetitive, he can even send them out at the same moment that he begins walking. This implies that he has some sort of macro set up to send specific messages at the push of a key, something he might have learned about from mods popular during the time of the Forge and Gorge.
Additionally, while he'll sometimes say stuff along the lines of "I'm sure it was somewhere around here..." while standing in the moonstorm waiting for you, these do NOT get sent in the chat, meaning he's likely just idly examining nearby things and that happens to be one of the examination quotes for a common entity like birds or evergreens.

His profile icon, the loyal rarity Prismatic Moon Caller Staff, is only available on Klei awards starting back in Feb 18th 2021, meaning that Wagstaff has his Klei account linked with his Steam. I was hoping the Moon Caller Staff icon had been present as a Twitch drop and would thus imply Wagstaff watches Twitch streams, but it was only ever available separately on Klei Rewards. Since there are permanent rewards links out there and this icon is always available, Wagstaff could have made his account as recently as today, right as the update dropped.

This is all the information I could gather, however it's possible there's more in for example the dialogue after defeating the Celestial Champion, or whenever he runs by you post-Lunar Rifts. Much to think about.

• Like 14
  • Haha 23
  • Health 1
  • Shopcat 1
  • GL Happy 1
  • Spooky 2

This would make a really cool creepypasta. The Grainy Transmission is an A.I. that slowly takes over your hosted world to keep it for themselves, eventually barring you from joining the server ever again.:shock:

• Like 2

• Highly similar to the player's default appearance, but with different eyes
  • Leaving strange structure in the world
  • Apper in even single-player world

Soon you will receive a forum private message from Wagstaff telling you to stop.;)

Edited by Cassielu
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Shopcat 1

33 minutes ago, Masked Koopa said:

We should be able to feed him tbh

Would do nothing except for honey seasoned food buffing his works speed.

Edited by SSneaky
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, SSneaky said:

Would do nothing except for honey seasoned food buffing his works speed.

Enough red caps and monster meat and he might drop more parts for us... ?

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it's limited to Wagstaff, it would have been a brilliant atmosphere shape and characterization. Sadly its not, just another totally unnecessary negative optimization update.

RIP creepypasta Wagstaff chat, It was really surprised me.:wilsondisappointed:

Edited by Cassielu
  • Like 2

On 3/14/2024 at 9:48 PM, Masked Koopa said:

We should be able to feed him tbh

You feed him a single piece of uncooked carrot and he screams and turns into dust exactly like Maxwell and that's how the lunar quest and the game ends.

Spoiler

Lmao

• Like 2
  • GL Happy 1

i think maybe wagstaff is just trying to help the community while also having a bit of fun but his actions can be seen as kinda like greifing as he builds random structures on the world and also makes a giant junkyard which does'nt seem bad at first but when you look deeper he has hidden a boss (possibly a modded version of were pig as they're similar)