Miner hat?

I was a bit disappointed when i made the miner hat. I was expecting a hat that would last forever that would provide light, but all it is is a strong torch. I suggest maybe using a system like charcoal to power it or something like that. For example when the hat was at zero percent instead of breaking, the hat would consume any charcoal in your inventory and put the hat back at one-hundred percent. The hat should also only turn on at night so it wouldn't waste charge during the day. Again these are all suggestions. Thanks for reading!

Hmm, good idea. I wasn't taking into account the firefly when i posted this. The consumed firefly idea is a good idea. Or maybe they could change the recipe to be made from charcoal and run on charcoal because charcoal is a bit more difficult to get. Maybe they could create a firefly lantern?

I was expecting a hat that would last forever that would provide light, but all it is is a strong torch.

Bare in mind that having a movable, constant source of light would render the nights completely safe, thus ruining 1/4th of the games appeal, surviving the night.

It's certainly a tough choice, as I can see the merits of both options. It's interesting, while I can understand why the miner's hat doesn't provide "eternal light", maybe they should allow it to be restored. Of course I supported the "fix items" idea. And it really can't just be about not providing players renewable light sources because we can easily carry the resources we need to create multiple torches.

just adding a firefly is not enough imo, since it is super easy to catch dozends of them while wearing a miner hat. not that it isn't easy to do it with torches, but just the few seconds of switching the torch for the net at least have the illusion of a risk, while doing it with a miner hat does not.

Yes. Imagine hats could stack...?

http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/haberdasher

Lol :D

just adding a firefly is not enough imo, since it is super easy to catch dozends of them while wearing a miner hat. not that it isn't easy to do it with torches, but just the few seconds of switching the torch for the net at least have the illusion of a risk, while doing it with a miner hat does not.

They are easy to catch, but they are finite. Charcoal, on the other hand, is equally easy to get and potentially infinite.

For as much as it costs, 500 research, straw hat (however many grass that is), etc, it really is underpowered. I was expecting, at the very least, a light source that runs out very slowly, that would let me explore at night. Instead, I get a hat that runs out as quickly as a torch. A light source that runs out that fast is emergency use only, not a luxury item, as befits the high investment and manufacture cost of the miner's hat.

In an emergency, tell me why I should make a hat instead of a torch? Torch takes almost no resources comparatively and is just as effective. Yeah, the torch burns down trees, but who cares? Burn all the trees. I'll just pickup charcoal and pine cones. In an emergency I'm not even going to have the raw materials to make a miner's hat. So I'd have to carry it around and have it take up a precious inventory slot.

Conclusion:

torch > Miner's Hat

Miner's Hat = underpowered

I think its 30 grass for the farmer hat, but still, 30 grass, one gold and one firefly are not much, the hardest thing to get is the firefly, and even that is not hard on the first run, and even more easy as Soon as you have the hat.

saying the torch is better is just bullocks, it runs out a lot faster, haven't tested it in detail, but I am relatively sure that it runs out at more than twice the speed, and even if it was the same speed, only the miner hat allows you to actually do stuff, because the torch takes your hand slot.

so while I can not agree on the costs for the hat beeing too high, the only thing that makes me wish it was a bit more powerfull is the mere fact that fireflys are finite. if they would respawn, the hat would be perfect as it is right now. as long as they don't, I think the hat should last at least a bit longer.

ohh yeah lol thank god that period was only a short one. haven't played since the newest stack changes, and I am a bit afraid of wood only stack up to 20 now... 24 was bad enough already :D but if it is true what I heard about charcoal and stacking up to 40, this might indeed be the moment where it does make sense to gather extra charcoal to use as fuel for your fire instead of wood.

ohh yeah lol thank god that period was only a short one. haven't played since the newest stack changes, and I am a bit afraid of wood only stack up to 20 now... 24 was bad enough already :D but if it is true what I heard about charcoal and stacking up to 40, this might indeed be the moment where it does make sense to gather extra charcoal to use as fuel for your fire instead of wood.

True. I had been avoiding that task for some time, with my only use of charcoal being the creation of a crock pot.

Sorry to bump an old thread but, this is a topic I've thought about for awhile.

Maybe charcoal only boosts the durability of a miner's hat by like 10% because of the infinite amounts that can be collected and have Fireflies fully restore a miner's hat because they are a finite item so far.

Like all things, future changes may make this suggestion obsolete.