Coming from playing a large game where feedback is but a drop in the pool,

I'm reminded of how much feedback from smaller sources can affect the game. Granted, a lot of things can be "Fixed" with mods, such as accuracy of placement with geometric placement, which consoles do lack, we've got a better shot of QoL changes from feedback than any other game. Given it's active playerbase, small ideas have a better shot at making it in and I believe there is room for independent thought behind suggestions rather than a herd mentality of accepting things that don't really equate to enjoyment of the game.

No matter what people say, the game is generally going in a good direction and now the issue of brightshades have been pruned in a sense. 

If you like brightshades, the threat and annoyance they serve, you may keep them. If you don't like them, there is an in game way to address a threat.

I've seen an amount of my suggestions make it into the game, and anyone with a good idea has a chance to see this happen, especially if it's a non intrusive option. 

With the community however, there is a herd mentality that is starting to crop up, and it appears to serve a very common agenda, that being a means to aggressively maintain the status quo at the expense of anyone with original ideas. 

While I'm still here, I'll be making suggestions that may seem unpopular and even scorned, but I've come to learn that many of the suggestions I've made have been introduced and no matter how I carry myself on the forums, I'll always be grateful that a very small voice can make big changes.

This topic of discussion made months ago about chests being expanded was met in thread with a GREAT NUMBER of vicious criticism, but in the end, it's a feature that will be making in it, and the application that klei has decided to undertake is a great improvement compared to my seed of an idea.

Also, a method to preserve normal crops is another suggestion that I've made which will also be making it in, during the same patch.

There is no such thing as an "Idea man" in any company. As much as I'd love such a title to exist, it simply doesn't. Not without other forms of relevant experience, but I'm glad that in a roundabout way, I have the opportunity to serve the game, because it isn't possible with literally any other game, and I am thankful for that.

Other more talented users have made more ambitious suggestions than my own, and I hope to see those materialize even in the form of a don't starve together sequel, the example of the suggestion being elevation. But who knows, the author of klei may surprise us and figure out a way to add it into the base game, but I doubt it.

I'll continue making suggestions until I'm banned.

I'll also try not to make it a habit to respond to anyone at the risk of the latter possibility to come to pass faster. The fact that chest expansions  and waxable standard crops will be making it into the game tells me I'm on the right track no matter how much flack I do endure. 

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 1

11 minutes ago, chirsg said:

This topic of discussion made months ago about chests being expanded was met in thread with a GREAT NUMBER of vicious criticism

On 1/11/2024 at 4:18 AM, chirsg said:

So a standard chest gets 45 total slots and a scaled chest gets 60 total.

in ur late post it was to add more slot in chest, which i imagine will be same with the more slot chest mod that cover half of screen when opening. which it is getting so much criticism, cus its not pleasingly aesthetic. 
i admire ur narcissistic approach thinking that the storage solution is based on that post. while it was already being a discussed problem because of lags that happen to most late game basses. 

Edited by prettynuggets
  • Like 10
  • Big Ups 1

You were the one who was spamming the shell shard posts in forums for awhile, and also spammed it in the recent Klei live stream at some point with butt emojis (With jeans on). Most people want them changed but it is no way to act.

It is cool your chest suggestion got accepted and i thank you for suggesting it(i dont know any other of your personal suggestions that got added, the crop thing was from many people asking for plastic plants because of brightshades), though there is hypocrisy in your post.

Edited by Jakepeng99
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chirsg said:

I'll also try not to make it a habit to respond to anyone at the risk of the latter possibility to come to pass faster. The fact that chest expansions  and waxable standard crops will be making it into the game tells me I'm on the right track no matter how much flack I do endure. 

I highly doubt it you will get banned for just making suggestions unless you go around flatout insulting and verbally attacking people.

So that's a bit of a weird thing to say. Moderation on Klei forums is pretty chill (too chill at times)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chirsg said:

I'm reminded of how much feedback from smaller sources can affect the game. Granted, a lot of things can be "Fixed" with mods, such as accuracy of placement with geometric placement, which consoles do lack, we've got a better shot of QoL changes from feedback than any other game. Given it's active playerbase, small ideas have a better shot at making it in and I believe there is room for independent thought behind suggestions rather than a herd mentality of accepting things that don't really equate to enjoyment of the game.

No matter what people say, the game is generally going in a good direction and now the issue of brightshades have been pruned in a sense. 

If you like brightshades, the threat and annoyance they serve, you may keep them. If you don't like them, there is an in game way to address a threat.

I've seen an amount of my suggestions make it into the game, and anyone with a good idea has a chance to see this happen, especially if it's a non intrusive option. 

With the community however, there is a herd mentality that is starting to crop up, and it appears to serve a very common agenda, that being a means to aggressively maintain the status quo at the expense of anyone with original ideas. 

While I'm still here, I'll be making suggestions that may seem unpopular and even scorned, but I've come to learn that many of the suggestions I've made have been introduced and no matter how I carry myself on the forums, I'll always be grateful that a very small voice can make big changes.

This topic of discussion made months ago about chests being expanded was met in thread with a GREAT NUMBER of vicious criticism, but in the end, it's a feature that will be making in it, and the application that klei has decided to undertake is a great improvement compared to my seed of an idea.

Also, a method to preserve normal crops is another suggestion that I've made which will also be making it in, during the same patch.

There is no such thing as an "Idea man" in any company. As much as I'd love such a title to exist, it simply doesn't. Not without other forms of relevant experience, but I'm glad that in a roundabout way, I have the opportunity to serve the game, because it isn't possible with literally any other game, and I am thankful for that.

Other more talented users have made more ambitious suggestions than my own, and I hope to see those materialize even in the form of a don't starve together sequel, the example of the suggestion being elevation. But who knows, the author of klei may surprise us and figure out a way to add it into the base game, but I doubt it.

People have asked for those features before and after you. Unless someone from Klei emailed you directly chances are they add features that they see multiple people suggested. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Moderation on Klei forums is pretty chill (too chill at times)

I think they mostlty respond to reports from experience, i remember they allowed that whole Youtuber hate war thing to happen for awhile in some random populor Willow thread went on for a while.

Edited by Jakepeng99

I mean I asked for water gilding sea spiders & pirate themed stuff before either was ever added. I choose to chalk it up to pure coincidence that someone at Klei was thinking on the same wave length.

I’ll continue to make more completely out of the box, bizarre & as some of the folks on these forums would lead you to believe “unfitting of DST” Suggestions, because limiting my own thoughts & creativity rather what I suggest gets added to the game or not, is how I never come up with creative new ideas.

That doesn’t just apply to “Me” that goes for anyone, any forum member, Mod Creator or Klei Developer.

Yes it’s important to still maintain a solid “Foundation”, but at the exact same time- it’s good to branch out & think beyond that.

Minecraft & Fortnite wouldn’t ever have become as popular and played as they are right now: if they did not push their own boundaries of what they had to offer.

Now days when people play Fortnite they can play standard battle Royale, Rocket Racing, Lego Survival & freaking Guitar Hero.

Why? Because instead of staying in their little “box” some folks choose to see a world outside of that.

Same goes with Minecraft, it has standard mode, and then there’s everything beyond that. If you buy the Ben 10 DLC expect that to play more like Ben 10 then it does Minecraft.

My I guess you can say “purpose” here on these forums is to question the realms of what is possible for DST.

Some people tell me “Bro just quit dst and leave these forums it’s never going to be a RogueLite/Like”

And to those people my response is- “Did you ever expect fortnite to be Legos?”

And while people are telling me stuff like to “abandon all hope” I choose to instead question what would happen if we limited the amount of times a player could be revived by telltale hearts, meat effigy’s, resurrection stones, What would happen if the player COULDNT just destroy all the mob spawners like Hound Dens?

What if we placed loot chests (like the ones found in ruins) beyond a floor full of spikes that erupt upwards and damage the player if they stand on the spot for too long?

What if THESE were used as a Floor trap that erupts upwards dealing chip damage to players who passed over the top of them?

IMG_6359.png.bd41f310db47c60281e32fef97e30434.png

My point here is to make it clear that DST has all the animations and assets in the world to be more RogueLite/Like…

So I don’t need people to cloud my vision by telling me it’s unfitting of DST, I KNOW it doesn’t fit inside your comfort box, my goal: Is to see beyond that box & question what all actually is or could someday be possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Now days when people play Fortnite they can play standard battle Royale, Rocket Racing, Lego Survival & freaking Guitar Hero.
Why? Because instead of staying in their little “box” some folks choose to see a world outside of that.
Same goes with Minecraft, it has standard mode, and then there’s everything beyond that. If you buy the Ben 10 DLC expect that to play more like Ben 10 then it does Minecraft.

Some people tell me “Bro just quit dst and leave these forums it’s never going to be a RogueLite/Like”
And to those people my response is- “Did you ever expect fortnite to be Legos?”

I think a lot of people are going to make fun of the absurdity of some of these statements, but truthfully Mike I think you're absolutely onto something with this line of thinking. DST is already surprisingly big here in the west and it's only getting bigger in China, if Newhome is anything to go off of then Don't Starve as a series is likely going to branch off in all sorts of ways if given enough time, just like what happened with Plants vs. Zombies. I just hope we'll get any of that branching out here in the west, too, but I pretty well trust Klei not to make any decisions that would screw either portion of the fanbase over.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maxposting said:

if dst ever expands i want way more lore (preferably one which makes sense from a timeline perspective)

this is the constant, which inherently doesn't really have a timeline.

• Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, Jakepeng99 said:

I think they mostlty respond to reports from experience, i remember they allowed that whole Youtuber hate war thing to happen for awhile in some random populor Willow thread went on for a while.

We attempt to let people say what they want to say unless it gets too unruly. 

It does make for a forum that's a bit more spicy. But that goes through phases. And ultimately it's more important that people can say what they want to say. We're probably a bit too permissive. But I would rather it be too permissive than too restrictive. 

We have had an understanding for a while now. We're not going to argue with players and we're not going to justify our actions. We'll clarify things when needed and we'll explain some things when we think it will help. But mostly, we respond through the game. 

It could be done differently. We could talk more and be more explicit, but really I think the result would just be more argument. We can't make everybody happy all of the time. 

The hope is that people can figure out that it is more productive to discuss things in a reasonable way. We're not going to babysit or tell people how they need to behave to get along with other people. 

What I really wish people could do is remember that this is just a video game. It's not worth fighting with other people about it. I get that it's a thing you love and you want to protect it- we love it too. But we're all here for fun. 

But just a little bit of advice for the forum regulars. Please remember. This game has been around a long time. Whatever we're working on at the moment is neither representative of a whole new direction nor is it an example of why nothing is ever going to be what you want. We can only do so much at once. The point of the roadmap is to explain what we're focused on at the time. That changes. And we're always headed toward what we think will give players what they are looking for. (Even if it takes a while)

We truly love and care about our community. But we can't do everything all at once. We can't make everybody happy all the time. We also do not react to everything immediately. We consider our roadmap a promise and we do our best to follow through with that. No single roadmap or update made DST what it is. And throughout development we have gone through these cycles with players as new groups come and go. What the game needs now is not what the game will need next year, and so on. 

I won't ask for the benefit of the doubt. But the history is there. And it would be pretty cool if people on these forums could discuss their thoughts like people who are all part of a group that loves something enough share their ideas and less like adversaries that need to get everybody to agree with them. People that disagree with you aren't going to ruin your game. 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1
  • Health 6
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 2

17 minutes ago, JoeW said:

It does make for a forum that's a bit more spicy. But that goes through phases. And ultimately it's more important that people can say what they want to say. We're probably a bit too permissive. But I would rather it be too permissive than too restrictive. 

We have had an understanding for a while now. We're not going to argue with players and we're not going to justify our actions. We'll clarify things when needed and we'll explain some things when we think it will help. But mostly, we respond through the game. 

It could be done differently. We could talk more and be more explicit, but really I think the result would just be more argument. We can't make everybody happy all of the time. 

The hope is that people can figure out that it is more productive to discuss things in a reasonable way. We're not going to babysit or tell people how they need to behave to get along with other people. 

What I really wish people could do is remember that this is just a video game. It's not worth fighting with other people about it. I get that it's a thing you love and you want to protect it- we love it too. But we're all here for fun. 

But just a little bit of advice for the forum regulars. Please remember. This game has been around a long time. Whatever we're working on at the moment is neither representative of a whole new direction nor is it an example of why nothing is ever going to be what you want. We can only do so much at once. The point of the roadmap is to explain what we're focused on at the time. That changes. And we're always headed toward what we think will give players what they are looking for. (Even if it takes a while)

We truly love and care about our community. But we can't do everything all at once. We can't make everybody happy all the time. We also do not react to everything immediately. We consider our roadmap a promise and we do our best to follow through with that. No single roadmap or update made DST what it is. And throughout development we have gone through these cycles as with players. What the game needs now is not what the game will need next year, and so on. 

I won't ask for the benefit of the doubt. But the history is there. And it would be pretty cool if people on these forums could discuss their thoughts like people who are all part of a group that loves something enough share their ideas and less like adversaries that need to get everybody to agree with them. People that disagree with you aren't going to ruin your game. 

Thank you for the response Joe. You speak some wisdom.

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

We truly love and care about our community. But we can't do everything all at once. We can't make everybody happy all the time. We also do not react to everything immediately. We consider our roadmap a promise and we do our best to follow through with that. No single roadmap or update made DST what it is. And throughout development we have gone through these cycles with players as new groups come and go. What the game needs now is not what the game will need next year, and so on

Woah, that was some much needed context, and I think that I needed to listen to it. Thanks for this response, it means a lot for many here.

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

I understand where you're coming from here but I also think that this "choose your side" or "this, this, and that is wrong with what you said" (<< Usually people want to be right instead of normally discussing ideas) is inevitable.

My approach is something like a blade without a handle, where both sides are sharp, and our agreement with certain ideas is like a cure for the bleeding. I feel like it is very important to have an idea of the game and defend it, even if it's going to mean that other people will put me in a group. I believe there are many views that people have of the game, and I myself will forever defend them, as long as the development team keep the idea alive.

I will give you an example.

Player 1 wants to have fun while playing the game, so anything that benefits them- even if it makes the game easier- is going to make them give positive feedback.

Player 2 also wants to have fun, but they are more inclined to believe that some challenge or annoyances here and there are great for the game.

If the Team at development adresses one idea, but not others, they are being partial. It is great to understand that, even IF I disagree with you, we can both exist. The discussions that exist regarding this subconcious "view" that we all have are always inevitable.

I don't want my view to be the main lead for development neither yours, but I want Klei to give a fair share of cookie crumbles for both.

If a character gets treated with love and caring, while others are being treated unfairly, there is LOVE for the game + LOVE for the characters involved. So much so that these discussions get pretty heated sometimes.

I would love that we could get a perfect discussion of ideas without sounding "negative" sometimes. But if we're seeing the changes being made, people getting happy, and a bunch of features catter for a group while ignoring the other, it is inevitable that a person would get frustrated. I hate to be negative too, but I am an advocate of free speech, as long as it is not offending another one personally.

I would just want the Team to consider literally EVERYONE.

Edited by Swiyss

5 hours ago, SSneaky said:

this is the constant, which inherently doesn't really have a timeline.

and yet it follows causality, fascinating.

Edited by Maxposting
if you're reading this please don't think the comment was meant to be snarky, it was not, i apologize if it came off that way

20 hours ago, finn from human said:

I think a lot of people are going to make fun of the absurdity of some of these statements, but truthfully Mike I think you're absolutely onto something with this line of thinking. DST is already surprisingly big here in the west and it's only getting bigger in China, if Newhome is anything to go off of then Don't Starve as a series is likely going to branch off in all sorts of ways if given enough time, just like what happened with Plants vs. Zombies. I just hope we'll get any of that branching out here in the west, too, but I pretty well trust Klei not to make any decisions that would screw either portion of the fanbase over.

they made a suggestion that DST x Lego Fortnite was a no brainer. . .

19 hours ago, JoeW said:

and less like adversaries that need to get everybody to agree with them. People that disagree with you aren't going to ruin your game. 

bit hard when 

Screenshot_20240306-214319_Chrome.png

Edited by mykenception
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, mykenception said:

bit hard when 

Screenshot_20240306-214319_Chrome.png

escalating situations causes this, and you can still sorta just ignore and leave, it's not like they're hurting people (i hope)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1