What do you want from a Walter skill tree?

1. Increase map scouting range.

2. More Woby utility so she does not just act soulless. She can pick up and harvest nearby items that she has in her inventory. She can have alot more.

3. Make big Woby have its own perks to use over a beefalo, don't make it more like a beefalo. For example, maybe a big bark to scare enenmies which would make using the slingshot on Woby more effective.

4. Improved slingshot. Give each ammo combat utility. For example, gold rounds could bounce to another mob.

5. Make the slingshot be usable in combination with melee attack. For example, hitting an enemy enough with a melee attack can boost the power of your next shot.

6. Add more perks to the pinetree hat. Just because it has great skins. Maybe it could further increase map scouting range?

7. More overall utility.

• Like 8

I know what i dont want. I dont want his horrible sling shot dps and mechanics being fixed by the skill tree, fix it and later add proper skills

35 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

More Woby utility so she does not just act soulless. She can pick up and harvest nearby items that she has in her inventory. She can have alot more.

I love this one

• Like 7
  • Spooky 1

Should be a no-brainer addition, but.. Walter is a Boyscout, the kid should be well adapted to knowing how to survive in the Woods.. for this reason alone, Wheelers Navigadget just seems like a perfect fit for him.

But if Klei gave him that, he would quite literally replace a role just adding Wheeler herself into the game could’ve had.

And I don’t “Like” Walter enough to let him completely replace Wheeler.

However- If she’s never getting added to the game, just give Walter the Navigadget.

Its a noob friendly tool that points to the direction of more of whatever you socketed into it with a pretty little way point arrow.

Also, seeing as how Klei done went and added a full boat in one storage slot for Year of the DragonBoat, Give him something similar with like a inflatable life raft or something (big yellow inner tube with an oar)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, arubaro said:

I know what i dont want. I dont want his horrible sling shot dps and mechanics being fixed by the skill tree, fix it and later add proper skills

Same but i have no hope in Klei doing that after what they did with Wolfgang's planar issue.

Outside of the skill tree though, they shpuld 100% improve the efficency of crafting rounds. Putting that in a skill tree is dumb.

32 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Should be a no-brainer addition, but.. Walter is a Boyscout, the kid should be well adapted to knowing how to survive in the Woods.. for this reason alone, Wheelers Navigadget just seems like a perfect fit for him.

But if Klei gave him that, he would quite literally replace a role just adding Wheeler herself into the game could’ve had.

And I don’t “Like” Walter enough to let him completely replace Wheeler.

However- If she’s never getting added to the game, just give Walter the Navigadget.

Its a noob friendly tool that points to the direction of more of whatever you socketed into it with a pretty little way point arrow.

Also, seeing as how Klei done went and added a full boat in one storage slot for Year of the DragonBoat, Give him something similar with like a inflatable life raft or something (big yellow inner tube with an oar)

Instead of Wheelers nav bar, you should be able to give an item to Woby, and he will sniff out more of it. It makes much more sense.

• Sanity 1

I think Reusable Ammo would be nice QOL + Buff. Have it drop on the ground next to the person you hit. As it stands I think there's to much resources required to properly make use of the slingshot. Plus, against giants it would create an interesting dynamic of spacing with the boss to refill ammo.

• Like 1

Bullet Auto Manufactoring Process.

The cost of bullets is arguably good or bad. That's not the topic I care about in this comment.

But the crafting process (imagine without Action Queue) is excruciatingly manually repetitive and time consuming.

This should be automated by a new structure that can continuously produce ammos. The structure can be possibly upgraded for better production effiency. Materials (rocks, gold, marbles) added to the structure as fuel.

Each 10 pebbles cost between 10:0.99 and 10:0.85 material instead of 10:1 ratio crafted by hand. When different a material is added to the structure (like adding gold to the structure with residue marbles), the old material will be pushed out keeping only the integer number.

Video games are not about being realistic. It's about ignoring part of reality and simulate a fun process. Bullet crafting is a example of what not to do, in my opinion.

Bullet Stack Size Increase

Inventory management for Walter's ammos is quite harsh.

When we compare total damage to melee weapon:

- 1 full stack of 60 gold pebbles = 0.4 spears

- 1 full stack of 60 marble pebbles = 0.45 darksword

That is the downside (designated penalty) of using ranged weapon. But I think this conversion should be improved in late game by increasing pebbles stack size from 60 to 99, for both Walter and Woby. In that case:

- 1 full stack of 60 gold pebbles = 0.66 spear

- 1 full stack of 60 marble pebbles = 0.74 darksword

That conversion rate is more reasonable for late game, considering total damage per slot is still inferior compared to melee weapons. But it's much more comfortable for the sake of gaming experience.

Of course, this can be divided into 2 or 3 skills.

Spoiler

for example:

- skill 1: improve stack size to 75

- skill 2: improve stack size to 90

- skill 3: improve stack size to 99

Note: regular chests still have stack size of 60. Probably allow scaled chests to store 99 or more.

Bounced-off Ammos

This is a post I made long time ago. I no longer agree with everything I said in that post. But I still want it.

394776049_recycleammos.gif.fd40f96f9c9add391b738f7fd3366571.gif

A intuintive thing to add:

- pebbles bounced off mobs will disolve and disappear if not picked up within one game day.

A fun thing to add:

- bounced off pebbles may hurt one nearby mob. but that pebble is guarentee to disappear.

QoL: Free Range Woby

Make Woby go away and play by itself. I don't need her to block every structure I'm trying to build.

Woby's Scouting

This is my wild wish. Free Range Woby can scout a remote part of the map. It's similar to telescope.

Scouting ability details about mechanics

Spoiler

- The appearance will be similar to Ocuvigil effect without its sight.

- The path between Woby's departing location and destination will also be revealed as a thin line.

- The scouted area cannot be too far. The range is dependant on Woby's hunger. Max hunger (4 mon meat) should allow Woby to scount anywhere on the map.

- Woby cannot enter ocean or void. If selected area is in ocean or void, the shore on the way to the targeted area will be revealed instead.

- The scouting Woby has to be well fed, costing monster meat. Woby also needs to carry pyprus and pencil (jet feather is Walter's synergy).

- The user interface will be similar to Wortex's global soul hop. The soul icon will be replaced Big Woby's head icon.

- Woby will be inaccessible for some time while scouting. The unavaibale time is dependant on how far the scouted area is.

- When Woby returns, she returns with a map scroll. The map can be read by anybody. If Woby was sent away without papyrus or pencil, he'll return with no map but some local special items.

- Honestly, I think pencil + papyrus is a bit too expensive. Maybe invent a new map kit exclusively for Walter as an cheaper alternative. It would fit the character well. The map kit is also made of pencil + papyrus, has 100% durability, can be used several times (10 times? since it's only a small area compared to the entire map), each time will produce a new local map. This can be useful for checking toadstool's new spawn location, whether ag or any boss has been killed by somebody else, guessing the location of loot stash, whether some forest has petrified, etc.

- Woby's hunger drains at regular speed.

- my wild wild wish optional benefit: Woby may bring the area's local special items. For example,

- 1 or 2 cut grass from savanah

- pine cone from forest

- rock from rock biome

- lightbulbs from mud biome

- leeche or banana from ruins

- a living spider from spider heaven

- a fish or frog leg from swamp

- etc.

- because of this reason, Woby can be sent to known area repeatedly to collect items, at the cost of several monster meat, of course.

image.png.cdb9b35b76a8d4846b86eb6102f41a33.png

I think it may be too much for Klei. But it would be nice to allow Walter to annotate his map for extra info about entities of interests. I'm entering fantasy land of my wishes.

Another wild wish. Walter moves 10% faster near the scouted area within one day after Woby's return. The range is the similar to Ocean Tree's range. Scouting locally before battling makes sense. The bonus may be shared by other characters. Other characters who didn't read the map scroll only gets half of the speed bonus within the range. I feel this synergize multiple aspects of Walter's gameplay.

Edited by goatt
  • Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

I'm personally hesitant to suggest stuff like Woby gathering items mostly because I feel like it'd lead to a problem where people are then against a similar feature being globally available because this is meant to be X character's private perk. I'd much rather something like that be given to anthropomorphic followers like pigs and merms than made something character-specific. That isn't to say I'd be against the idea in a vacuum, I just worry that it'll start this thing where being able to pick up items is a defining walter niche rather than just a small bonus.

I think it'd be better if Woby was given something similar to Wheeler's navigadget where she can sniff out items for you. Or perhaps a mechanic where she can go digging in the soil to give you some random loot.

• Like 2

remove the useless tree sanity perk and make a skill tree skill babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• Spooky 1

Baseline, I'd like to see some general Woby and slingshot buffs/tweaks, so that they're just a bit better at what they do. Otherwise, I'm hoping for some stuff already mentioned here, like ammo economy changes, preferably as a base change, not tied to the tree itself, Big Woby being able to take another passenger, etc.

So basically, what I want to see from Walter's skill tree is a mix of simpler skills and out-of-tree changes to make his present perks more worthwhile, and more fun and unique additions, like these:

20 hours ago, Sikers said:

A passenger seat for Woby so we could take someone on the ride

8 hours ago, Masked Koopa said:

I think it'd be better if Woby was given something similar to Wheeler's navigadget where she can sniff out items for you. Or perhaps a mechanic where she can go digging in the soil to give you some random loot.

• Like 1
  • Spooky 1

I'd love it if Walter had opportunity to make his slingshot instantly fire an empowered shot after delivering melee attacks, I believe it would make him feel pretty dynamic with weapon and ammo switching while also letting him keep damaging mobile enemies.
Make his slingshot ammo synergize with other ammo, so that there's always a reason to use variety of them. Poop for empowering other ammo effects, Marble for making other ammo splash in AoE radius, Gold for making other ammo bounce, etc. etc.
Grant him an opportunity to build a treehouse, maybe craft a spyglass.

Give him scouting perks that improve on his resource foraging, or letting him spot enemy weaknesses (maybe allowing him to Inspect a mob to note how injured it is, so that you can determine how much health it has left without using HP bar mods), could also grant him ability to "sneak" past aggressive mobs or gain semi-invisibility against them if you hide among foliage/natural obstacles such as trees. Or even be able to fire slingshot at the ground to distract mobs and force them to walk to the pellet impact zone. Also funny Bush Hat perks perhaps?

Woby should carry bodyslot containers when she's big, imagine the convenience of having two piggybacks/krampus sacks on her.

On 2/18/2024 at 5:31 PM, Jakepeng99 said:

1. Increase map scouting range.

Super idea, love that!

I'd like Woby to be able to run from monkeys because you can't leave him outside like I normally do with Hatch. Also training him with some commands would be appreciated.

Some hunt ideas can be added, so tracking the monster requires less tracks to find.

Also it would be nice if Wobby could drop hound tooth. I like to go darts with Walter but they require rare resources - winter bird feathers only so the whole winter is spent to kill birds, reeds which everyone needs, and hound teeth which in some worlds is rarity.

Edited by shaurun
  • Like 1

As i see, community doesn't really expect anything, so probably we'll have less people dissappointed this time :D

I've started a new world with Walter to see how he actually plays now. 

Currently he's good in scounting, killing birds and summoning Crampus. He is awesome with his sanity in caves, but beefalo is definetely the choice for him, not a Woby. Woby is also bad when it comes to monkeys.

Slingshot bullets are useless except for gold ones, freezing ones and slowing ones. I fight with ordery beefalo mostly as Walter, and it's meelee is better than ranged combat. So slingshots are good for farming birds and multiplying gold (because you have lots of meat after birds). 

This boy doesn't have any survival skills, resource gathering skills, and currently should fight with a beefalo like Wes. His scounting is also more limited than. for example, Woodie's or Wortox's - you'll definetely end up with taming a beefalo. To me he'd better have dog companion who can do some stuff for him, instead of being a portable chest / bad beefalo.

So in general I would love:

- scouting improved, like possiblity to locate some places/creatures with some items, so he could always tell people that for example toadstool will be thid direction, Ancient guarding to the north, dragonfly to the west, even when he haven't revealed the map yet.

- Woby should do some stuff, e.g. occasionally digging some items, have possiblity to run to base to bring something you forgot, start hunts by himself and complete it without your participation. 

- ranged combat improved. Speedup shots, create AoE shots like with water baloons.

His sanity mechanic I actually like, it's easy to maintain once you have healing food and beefalo.

• Like 1

Walter actually needs quite a few balance changes and tweaks.

Unfortunately those dire needs of balances and updates are being given in the shape of skill trees, which is something I strongly disagree.

Edited by Dandefender
  • Like 1

Here's what I want for Walter(just some spitball ideas):

• I want his ammo to craft more per craft, making 15 pellets per craft (and he crafts faster)
  • Faster slingshot firing speed 
  • More slingshot ammo types
  • He could get a perk that gives him more campfire stories, and amplifies the sanity aura from them (he finally learned some good stories)
  • Woby perks in maintaining speed more, more storage in woby backpacks and/or woby armors which can give walter different effects or just basic innate damage reduction so that he won't be bucked off as easily (imagine a bone armor that lets walter be immune to 1 hit every 5 seconds kind of like the weregoose perk)
  • They could go with a badge tree where he gets different skills like bravery which makes him lose less sanity from getting hit (but not to the point of invalidating the downside, just a minor reduction as I still want him to be challenging), things like that
  • I'm not opposed to more slingshot types but I'd prefer for him to keep his Trusty slingshot since he commonly mentions that he prefers it over other options
  • A more convenient way of passively gaining sanity would be something I am not opposed to, but I don't really mind the inconvenience much anymore personally
  • A way to prototype cursed bullets and take them with you as they're not quite impressive enough to warrant being locked to the ruins, and characters like Wanda and Wolfgang have thulecite crafts that come pre-unlocked.
  • QoL fixes I want include showing us woby's hunger, big woby no longer triggering spider dens, Woby slowing down like a tumbleweed does when Walter wants to ride her or open her storage while she's running away, making it so that the first shot of the slingshot doesn't take forever to fire, and perhaps auto-reloading the slingshot with the first ammo type in his inventory would be quite sweet, as to not have to worry about it during combat. 
Edited by Catuna_
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, abrocator said:

15 different allergies.

Is what he needed. Instead of just bee allergy would be funnier to have a boyscout with allergy to nature like being near/picking flowers making you sneeze like in hamlet, weeds and mosquitoes dealing more damage to him, etc

In exchange he could have better perks

• Like 3