I like fishing.

I like fishing  

94 members have voted

1. 1. I like fishing

• I like fishing
    • I don't like fishing

9 minutes ago, DegenerateFurry said:

Wavy Jones is the absolute worst sanity mechanic in this entire franchise. It appears at way too high a sanity threshold for everything it does to your boat, and unlike the normal hands that appear to put out fires, you can't just chase it away and be done with it; it keeps coming back until daytime

First, they are the best sanity mechanic and second,  they only appear 3 times, the rest of the night you are free

I wont be against lowering the sanity threshold 

• Like 2
  • Wavey 1

13 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Minigame itself is pretty amusing and not really hard to master.

I could see someone agreeing with this after lots of practice, but with my last time of ocean fishing being a failed attempt at summoning albatross with 6 other people, I don’t.

I can get twigs and silk easily, and pond fishing gives enough feedback that most people could engage with it.

Ocean fishing is over designed relatively, they added a dozen ways for ocean fishing to fail, dozens of items in pearls shop and two separate stations to make it fail less, but the end product is usually the same.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 2:31 AM, GenomeSquirrel said:

I’m surprised people like this, seems worse than pond fishing in every capacity, like going through a bee boxes worth of effort for a pond fish that is can sometimes do bizarre yet redundant things.

Ocean fishing is faster and more efficent than pond fishing.

21 hours ago, arubaro said:

First, they are the best sanity mechanic and second,  they only appear 3 times, the rest of the night you are free

I wont be against lowering the sanity threshold 

I wish he would dissapear after stepping on his hands for awhile. Sometimes he hides behind a campfire or something.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

wish he would dissapear after stepping on his hands for awhile. Sometimes he hides behind a campfire or something.

Dont build structures with collision at the edges and if you did or you cant avoid placing it there you can simply step near that structure when you heard their warning noise, they always spawn in the opposite side of the boat 

11 minutes ago, arubaro said:

Dont build structures with collision at the edges and if you did or you cant avoid placing it there you can simply step near that structure when you heard their warning noise, they always spawn in the opposite side of the boat 

It is such a pointless punishment. There is no point of it, you basically are unable to sail for the rest of the night.

20 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

It is such a pointless punishment. There is no point of it, you basically are unable to sail for the rest of the night.

Again.... you just need to scare them 3 times to be free and you can control where they spawn. Stop the drama

1 hour ago, arubaro said:

Again.... you just need to scare them 3 times to be free and you can control where they spawn. Stop the drama

When it gets stuck behind an object (if you forget or another player does it) there is nothing you can do besides squish your boat even tighter.

7 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

When it gets stuck behind an object (if you forget or another player does it) there is nothing you can do besides squish your boat even tighter.

Yes, for that im explaining to you how to prevent it

It sucks and should be fixed but there are easy counterplays

• Sad Dupe 1

4 minutes ago, arubaro said:

Yes, for that im explaining to you how to prevent it

It sucks and should be fixed but there are easy counterplays

I know but it still often happens in multiplayer. Especially when i am with someone else on their boat with tons of stuff to the side.

It's not that I dislike ocean fishing. It's that it's such an inefficient use of time in the early game.

Actually, the thing I dislike the most about ocean fishing is having to juggle all the different lures.

Edited by cybers2001
  • Sanity 1

5 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

Actually, the thing I dislike the most about ocean fishing is having to juggle all the different lures.

Spork is all you need to cover vast majority of fishes unless you are hunting super special ones.

• Like 2

I think fishing could have another layer of fish and it being some mutant giant variants you could find for more fish and getting your boat dragged with that as a consequence for fun and chaos. Lunar fish needs to be a thing, heavy fish should count 2x meat drop value and pearl shouldn't act so stingy on getting ocean fish imo for shell bundles. 

• Like 2

I like fishing conceptually. It’s fun being able to do a little minigame to get arguably higher-value big fish meat (over pond fish morsels), but the primary issue is that fishing is almost never worth the time cost or the hassle of doing it. I tried paddling around in the ocean to find Fallounder for Pearl’s quests- it took me half the season to find one school of them, then after reeling them in up over the course of about an entire day and weighing them I found none were heavy. I then continued on my journey to get another school. A gnarwail then proceeded to spawn and ate three of them before I could get over to it and hit it to make it stop.

Ocean fish also aren’t particularly useful because of the existence of eels, a much easier-to-amass resource that doubly act as a fairly decent gold generation tool. They require you to go to the wilds and fish them up with freshwater rods, which might mean a bit of a walk, but two or three ponds (and there are almost always more elsewhere) will net you a gigantic amount of eels for way less effort because pond fishing is so much easier, faster, and less resource-intensive if you mess up. (It does cost more silk overall since the SFR is infinite durability, but you also don’t risk needing to recraft lures.)

My suggestion regarding ocean fishing is to increase your reel strength (meaning you’ll reel the fish in more quickly) and reduce the frequency of a fish pulling back so you don’t get those aggravating sections of waiting for it to stop pulling, reeling it in for a few seconds, then waiting again. I know that might step on the stupefying lure’s toes a bit, but I think it’s useful regardless because ocean fishing is just miserable if you want to get it done expeditiously. I’ve pulled my hair out too many times just trying to fish up a single corn cod that manages to pull itself two or three entire tiles away from where I hooked it just because it won’t stop pulling. It shouldn’t take THAT long to catch one stupid fish, because no ocean fish is anywhere near worth that amount of time investment when other food sources are so much more convenient and reliable. 

• Like 4