I think Twitch drops are a bad bandaid way to get audience

It's not a great way in the sense that bringing more audience to play the game, it does it's job but in a weaker way I think.

Mostly what from my experience it adds that bigger number to inflate my viewer count when I used to stream but it always irked me in the wrong way because it's literally no different than having bots on your stream. It makes number go bigger while nothing really is exciting happening on stream to make the audience be interested or engaged and I won't lie there's not a lot of DST streams you can get into that you didn't to feel like WOAH and HOOOH LETS GOOO!! unless they are something like speedruns, fun tests or even contests communities make.

What was prolly big was Forge and Gorge because it brought a lot more engagement in the audience and players themselves, putting everyone in more stressful situations while being goofy fun everyone could enjoy.

I still have fair criticism to sometime share that I don't like forge just for how it was monotonic and less creative unlike gorge and being more that players had to force each other into cooperation and being extremely toxic otherwise noone can do anything, but gorge is literally a gordon ramsey stream where I used to scream "WHERE'S THE FLOUR?!" and being overly excited to hear myself go insane and laugh from that but - both modes made people engage, and I think adding game modes instead of mods on workshop would be really good for everyone and audiences of content creators and what not.

The game doesn't feel very versatile over these years, focusing only on survival life stuff been okay, I enjoy it, I come back to it and pay for skins cause I like pretty structures, but I also want more funny semi casual fun for gamemodes which I feel like all the little DST events like midsummer were nothing but decor farms that added that loophole to spam gambling machines instead of trying minigames that take time and being repetitive. Repetition makes things boring, Klei, that's why spicing things up like adding difficulty scalings and variation adds more excitement. New situations like twiggies and berry bushes and disease was a bold choice till the disease was replaced by lategame annoying plant that we can't get rid of permanently from specific plants.

What I'm trying to say is... we need game modes, bring forge and gorge as player hosted things, update them a little (especially gorge), add a PVP arena mode like how Electroely been developing for a while which was SO much fun I've had because it's fun to use weapon abilities to do fun tricks against players, it doesn't have to be balanced internet speed wise but it being enough that players that live close to one another could have most fun at it. Streamers would have a lot more fun at it, youtubers would make more videos of the game modes, maybe try hosting some more events like PVP events and what not... even if they are invitationals - be bolder, be smarter. Survival isn't everything that is to an uncompromising game, it's the experience we've gotten from playing each one of these fun things you've developed for us.

If you want the game pop off more with the outside audience you need to rack up better engagement and be a lot more engaged with us in these little events.

10 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

we need game modes

We really don't though. I get you point about how chaotic and fresh and new the gorge and forge were and I share your sentiment that there could be support to just add the game modes to the world select without adding anything really new. But the game doesn't need them. The events were fun but to make them common detracts away from the game DST actually is. The year of events are also not really in line with the rest of the game, but the difference is that the events are still rooted in the games core mechanics, while the forge and gorge shift the focus away completely from the base mechanics and replacing them with different ones. I'd rather for dst to remain a semi stagnent audience while remaining attached to the game that it is instead of trying a hundred different things for an audience that isn't that commited to the core game itself.

I think they are scared of bringing the Gorge back because they don't wanna do a poor job or lazy job and just "bring it back". Maybe they want something, but are not prepared yet. So they are releasing it when it feels right. I say we be patience :>

I love gorge so much by the way <3

I don’t disagree that having lots of fun and varied gamemode is a great idea however I reaaaally don't want the devs to be slashing the workflow on side content when the survival experience is in the state it is now. I certainly appreciated Forge & Gorge, and the customization rules to pick from settings to make the world different (like light out)… but, when it comes to content creators I would consider that the responsibility of offering something worthwhile watching is also on them.

If either streamers or viewers are tired of the same-old same-old sessions then it’s certainly time for a change, and I feel it too every now and then, but waiting on Klei to brew PVP content is not the way I see change; instead we all have ability to create variety on this game thanks to its community and modding efforts. A content creator could, if they have the ideas, to reach out for help and build what they actually want to play and something people would want to watch. It’s not effortless but that should be way it is, as personally I've long been uninterested into watching something DST related except if there was a twist and some channels really put a lot of creativity and of themselves in a challenge or so, I can think of certain BibboBams' videos for example. Or if we look as of now there’s many concepts that aren’t that much explored and that would change a lot of the horizons and one of my favorite that existed for a long time is the Cavemen gamemode, again by Electroely, and I don’t happen to know anyone who tried it on video… or in general of any original event taking place from someone's initiative as of lately (not that I know everyone so maybe there was).

So what I’m trying to say is that there’s also a part of engagement to build by ourselves if there’s a desire to grow. And while we can see the Twitch Drops as an easy way to boost the game streaming stats, and it is, it’s also one to give a chance to attract the audience on someone that can then be convinced by the show and the person.

Also changing of game for a time is a good thing to do and not overwork something you'd love to return to. :) 

Honestly I don’t understand what the purpose of Twitch is- Especially when it comes to PC players. I’m an Xbox Player, and I have yet to watch a single Twitch Streamer for DST who can manage to play the game without ANY Mods enabled, So for me i believe that twitch streamers that USE mods should have an always on screen Notification Prompt that reads as:

Not Representative of Actual Gameplay*

For me Personally I used to watch Tv shows like E3 (R.i.P) And G4 to watch game trailers, game world premieres, Reviews etc.. when I look up a game on YouTube or Twitch- It’s generally because I want to find out more about the game before I decide rather or not to purchase it. But when it comes to DST the Streams I’ve watched have always showcased content that’s not actually part of the game- rather that’s character mods, cool biomes like cherry forest or advanced difficulties with Uncomp mode, or even just Gorge/Forge mods- None of that content is in the actual game.

Some things that likely WOULD be interesting to viewers (& actually part of the game) would be for streamers to spend hours and hours just showcasing all the clothing items you can mix and match to create your own unique character looks, there’s a reason why “Showing off your Outfits” is one of the popular threads here on the forums.

Eitherway it does feel slightly satisfying to me as a Dont Starve Fan to see the Franchise being shown in mainstream Media like Twitch and the Xbox Live Events App- People who stroll these things will see DST in the lineup and be like “Huh I wonder what Don’t Starve Together is?”

So at the very least- it does it’s intended job of getting the game noticed <3

46 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Snip

Before fairly recently glermz was the biggest streamer that played without any server mods most of the time, but yeah most streamers I've seen also use some weirdo mods that make me not want to watch instantly...

I have to be honest here, and don't take this as me trying to be rude, but most mods out there are an eyesore to look at.

32 minutes ago, Antynomity said:

Before fairly recently glermz was the biggest streamer that played without any server mods most of the time, but yeah most streamers I've seen also use some weirdo mods that make me not want to watch instantly...

I have to be honest here, and don't take this as me trying to be rude, but most mods out there are an eyesore to look at.

Need more artistic collabs for mods methinks. Better drawn more fitting DST art wise, decently balanced or just pure aesthetics.

8 hours ago, Frashaw27 said:

We really don't though. I get you point about how chaotic and fresh and new the gorge and forge were and I share your sentiment that there could be support to just add the game modes to the world select without adding anything really new. But the game doesn't need them. The events were fun but to make them common detracts away from the game DST actually is. The year of events are also not really in line with the rest of the game, but the difference is that the events are still rooted in the games core mechanics, while the forge and gorge shift the focus away completely from the base mechanics and replacing them with different ones. I'd rather for dst to remain a semi stagnent audience while remaining attached to the game that it is instead of trying a hundred different things for an audience that isn't that commited to the core game itself.

I'll disagree because we don't really need them to host servers but we need better access to those game modes for everyone to enjoy them quite well. It won't need to make those costs they had to host because it was definitely costly for them to keep them alive, but Klei got the assets for gorge and forge and giving them a little bit of makeup and tuning might bring in some of that old interest people had in more casual-ish fun.

It's not a very exciting way to live to not try and attempt to expand your audience or bring back the old, I feel like they could at LEAST build a minigame team of sorts to occasionally update and tune the game modes more or somehow implement them into DST like an "all vote and go in" to generate into those worlds before returning back to normal save. The whole gateway saga existed for that after all. People are still very interested in these gamemodes. Klei can't just make Constant's content forever, it'll be not a good choice longterm imo.

Biggest problem for me is I can't just buy the drops and they're very slow at putting them in the Klei shop. 

Twitch drops seem more geared towards skin collectors, problem is we're ALREADY playing the game and don't really need to be advertised to. I really don't want to feel forced to watch someone play DST for hours to get a skin, I'd rather just open my wallet and pay for it and then play DST myself with my new skin

I think that drops are a good way to put smaller streamers on the map. It's one of the reasons why I disagree with the ambassador program. 

The cherry picked few that are entitled to a free boost just because their name is on a list.

I think that drops are generally more beneficial for smaller no names, but devil's advocate, drops are one of the main ways dst streamers can remain lucrative... However, realistically, this isn't the sort of game that tends to be something that realistically pays the bills even if you go full time without being one of the big dogs and I'm sure the big dogs aren't entirely in it for the money. 

It's complicated.

At this point, it's better to have than to not have it.

I'd argue in favor for better drops. Whenever there's a torch drop, I don't even bother watching or even wasting my bandwidth. 

in;b4 next drop will be a torch. 

The best drops are structures and by far, I think the best drop we have ever gotten in history is the camelia flowerbed.

You've never seen anyone farming broken shells before the release of camelia and after it drops, everyone undertakes the Sisyphean task of killing slurtles 

I prefer if devs focus their resources and time on finisnishing content and adding more. There are a lot of stuff that can be added and biomes to rework

We dont need a league of legends clone or an unbalanced pvp arena. DST was never a popular game to watch but is indeed a popular played game

There is no reason to inflate twich numbers when dst is already most of the time top 50 played game only in steam

Archived