what would new not optional threats look like

14 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Varied waves instead of hounds frfr. Could come as rift raids or clockwork if those even would get built anywhere canonically.

Eweling waves, small projectile using sheep that apply a slowing effect on hit but can't run as fast or kick as hard as the Ewecus due to not having their legs fully grown out

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

like sometimes your too cold, sometimes your too hot etc..

Isn't that just... seasonal temperature change? DST has that already. Could you give some more examples?

41 minutes ago, _zwb said:

Isn't that just... seasonal temperature change? DST has that already. Could you give some more examples?

DSTs temperature changes are based on the games seasons, which last roughly 20 game days before another season replaces it.

For all the other Survival games I mentioned temperature works differently- Hot or Cold can happen regardless of the season.

Sometimes it can even affect what biomes you can explore without Warmer or Colder weather gear.

DST even has a Temprature thermostat structure, but it never actually will see any use because you know it’ll never be “cold” during summer.

On 1/6/2024 at 3:45 AM, xhyom said:

Pig raids as they showed us in the wx cinematic is a cool start

I want to put my two cents on the idea of Pig Raids:

What if the game pressed consequences on you for slaughtering pigs and destroying their houses? The raids could start occurring if you did any of that, eventually just like hound waves, and the more you antagonize pigs in the constant, the more powerful and rewarding those raids become as you progress into the world.
It could evolve into some sort of reputation system even, allowing you to barter with pigs or just get more deals from Pig King.

So, yep. Minecraft villagers.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

For all the other Survival games I mentioned temperature works differently- Hot or Cold can happen regardless of the season.

The problem with that is it takes away the uniqueness of each season, and wouldn't fit the theme of each season. Imagine if you start freezing in summer while your crops wither, doesn't make that much sense does it?

Sometimes it can even affect what biomes you can explore without Warmer or Colder weather gear.

DST even has a Temprature thermostat structure, but it never actually will see any use because you know it’ll never be “cold” during summer.

As if you wouldn't be able to predict the temperature of the firelands/ice biome. I don't understand why this is a problem

3 hours ago, _zwb said:

The problem with that is it takes away the uniqueness of each season, and wouldn't fit the theme of each season. Imagine if you start freezing in summer while your crops wither, doesn't make that much sense does it?

As if you wouldn't be able to predict the temperature of the firelands/ice biome. I don't understand why this is a problem

Currently I’m playing Palworlds, which is well the TL:DR- Pokémon for Adults.

This game in short: Is everything I could want out of a survival game, you can build a base, you have to deal with hunger draining, you have to manage resources- and weight of those Resources, you have to keep an eye on if it’s a Hot or Cold night and pick the appropriate gear for the temperature, the game even has frequent “Raids” on your bases by hostile villagers, or Pokemon like creatures that try to invade your base, fight your Pokémon’s, or eat up your farm corps.

So you have to actually return to your base every once in awhile to “defend” it.

As someone who played the very first ever Pokemon game, who is now a grown Adult- This game was made for the now adult Pokemon fans..

But I'm mentioning it because it has all the solid foundations of what makes a survival game, an actual survival game.

And SHOULD these features ever be added to DST, they should probably be added under their own new game mode setting, or optional world toggles so they don’t completely disrupt the way people have been enjoying “Current DST”

But here’s how/why it would heavily impact DST-

Temperature that flips between hot/cold regardless of season would mean that a single thermal stone is no longer the only tool you ever need for hot & cold weather- with the temperature alternating in and out like that, your thermal will go from Hot/Neutral/Cold phases more often- Meaning you’ll either need to Repair it more often… Keep both an always hot & Always cold thermal, OR you’ll need to be prepared to make more thermal stones because of how fast your going to go through them.

Weight carrying capacity- It never made any sense to me why my character struggles to carry a heavy marble statue, but can lug around 8 stacks of 40 stones & 20 wooden planks, we have Boats, Beefalo- And even Magical Teleporting portals and storage devices that could serve an actual more important use IF weight Capacity were a thing in DST.

Base Raids- the way dst is currently built, the game warns you in advance of incoming dangers, giving you ample time to actually just run away from your base and force your base to “Off-Load” from the game world while you drag whatever dangers were about to show up (Deerclops, Bearger, Hound Wave, Antlion Sinkhole) away from your base to another area.

Palworld gives you a warning that intruders are headed towards your base, as well as shows you how much distance is between said intruders and reaching your base, and then you need to return to your base to defend it from attack.

This feature also exists in games like Conan Exiles & State of Decay 2.

DST is more of a Sandbox game, then it is a Survival based one… and hopefully this long post here can help you realize a little bit why. <3

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Temperature that flips between hot/cold regardless of season

Honestly I have no idea how you would implement such a feature, you haven't talked about it.

16 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Base Raids

Don't change the subject.

23 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

-snip-

And SHOULD these features ever be added to DST, they should probably be added under their own new game mode setting, or optional world toggles so they don’t completely disrupt the way people have been enjoying “Current DST

I'm glad you are enjoying Palworld and I took a look at the game so I would have a bit more context on what the game is about. My opinion is that the features in Palworld would not fit well within DST. Also, from what I saw, in terms of gameplay, Palworld is closer to a game like Ark: Survival Evolved than to a game like Pokémon.

1 minute ago, _zwb said:

Honestly I have no idea how you would implement such a feature, you haven't talked about it.

Don't change the subject.

What are you wanting me to say? Season lengths are predictable, and what items you need to carry on you throughout those seasons never change.

While this has been a staple part of the DS franchise since its inception, perhaps maybe in the year 2024 it’s time for a change?

What is even the point of a thermometer, if it only shows you how close it is till Summer/Winter starts?

I live in Alabama in the real human world, the other day it was 14 degrees here, today.. it’s a much warmer 69.

Thats how temperature works..

The other day I was wearing two pairs of sweat pants underneath a pair of blue jeans, 3 long sleeve shirts & 2 thick jackets.

Today im only wearing 1 pair of blue jeans, 1 long sleeve shirt, & a small thin jacket.

My point is that Temperature fluctuates between hot & cold regardless of if it’s Winter or Summer.

In the actual game there is a world Gen setting to set seasons to Random, but this doesn’t actually impact much… because seasons are still tied to a certain amount of days.

(5 days, 20 days, etc) and it only randomized itself ONCE- so if you have a world where your random season lengths were:

5 Days of Autumn, 20 Days of Winter, 15 days of Summer- this cycle will always repeat itself for future summer and winters.

which in turn: Allows you the player to know exactly when you’ll need certain Winter/Summer/Spring gear, and when you can ditch needing to carry those items around until the season you’ll actually need those items cycles back around again.

DST would be a vastly different survival game if players actually needed to pay attention to the thermostat structure & have items for days it might be cold, hot, raining, windy, etc…

Instead of how the game is right now allowing you to use winter items for 20 days that are winter, then ditching those items altogether until winter comes back.

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

DST would be a vastly different survival game if players actually needed to pay attention to the thermostat structure & have items for days it might be cold, hot, raining, windy, etc…

this would only make backpacks better since you'd need to carry more stuff and you'd need to deal with rain and overheating before you get eyebrella

12 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Carrying clothing item for another season isn't that much of a change. Just carry all of them actually, I got enough inventory space for that

8 minutes ago, _zwb said:

Carrying clothing item for another season isn't that much of a change. Just carry all of them actually, I got enough inventory space for that

It would change the game in a variety of areas, particularly when fighting bosses.. & the late game rifts even sort of nudge the game in this direction (ever tried to fight crab king in lunar hail?) 

One minute your fighting Klaus with a football helmet on to avoid accidental damage from mistiming, the next your switching that football helmet out for an Eyebrella when it randomly starts raining.

Like I said, it’s a simple change.. one that doesn’t require adding any extra content into DST.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

This game in short: Is everything I could want out of a survival game, you can build a base, you have to deal with hunger draining, you have to manage resources- and weight of those Resources, you have to keep an eye on if it’s a Hot or Cold night and pick the appropriate gear for the temperature, the game even has frequent “Raids” on your bases by hostile villagers, or Pokemon like creatures that try to invade your base, fight your Pokémon’s, or eat up your farm corps.

So you have to actually return to your base every once in awhile to “defend” it.

As someone who played the very first ever Pokemon game, who is now a grown Adult- This game was made for the now adult Pokemon fans..

But I'm mentioning it because it has all the solid foundations of what makes a survival game, an actual survival game.

And SHOULD these features ever be added to DST, they should probably be added under their own new game mode setting, or optional world toggles so they don’t completely disrupt the way people have been enjoying “Current DST”

But here’s how/why it would heavily impact DST-

Temperature that flips between hot/cold regardless of season would mean that a single thermal stone is no longer the only tool you ever need for hot & cold weather- with the temperature alternating in and out like that, your thermal will go from Hot/Neutral/Cold phases more often- Meaning you’ll either need to Repair it more often… Keep both an always hot & Always cold thermal, OR you’ll need to be prepared to make more thermal stones because of how fast your going to go through them.

Weight carrying capacity- It never made any sense to me why my character struggles to carry a heavy marble statue, but can lug around 8 stacks of 40 stones & 20 wooden planks, we have Boats, Beefalo- And even Magical Teleporting portals and storage devices that could serve an actual more important use IF weight Capacity were a thing in DST.

Base Raids- the way dst is currently built, the game warns you in advance of incoming dangers, giving you ample time to actually just run away from your base and force your base to “Off-Load” from the game world while you drag whatever dangers were about to show up (Deerclops, Bearger, Hound Wave, Antlion Sinkhole) away from your base to another area.

Palworld gives you a warning that intruders are headed towards your base, as well as shows you how much distance is between said intruders and reaching your base, and then you need to return to your base to defend it from attack.

This feature also exists in games like Conan Exiles & State of Decay 2.

DST is more of a Sandbox game, then it is a Survival based one… and hopefully this long post here can help you realize a little bit why. <3

Same. But it's basically ark. 

I wouldn't put it as anything close to DST

37 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

One minute your fighting Klaus with a football helmet on to avoid accidental damage from mistiming, the next your switching that football helmet out for an Eyebrella when it randomly starts raining.

That doesn't matter, swapping items aren't difficult, it might be difficult for console players, but not on PC.

Honestly is is just requiring more inventory slots and like grm9 said, buffing backpack

40 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

It would change the game in a variety of areas, particularly when fighting bosses.. & the late game rifts even sort of nudge the game in this direction (ever tried to fight crab king in lunar hail?) 

Like I said, it’s a simple change.. one that doesn’t require adding any extra content into DST.

I mean, you could just keep it on though

50 minutes ago, _zwb said:

That doesn't matter, swapping items aren't difficult, it might be difficult for console players, but not on PC.

Honestly is is just requiring more inventory slots and like grm9 said, buffing backpack

The difference is made up in how many sewing kits you would need to repair damaged items, or how many resources you’ll need to carry to craft extras.

For me, I never ever EVER carry pigskin around with me, and as I’m sure you are aware, if you don’t have an Eyebrella Pigskin is needed for Umbrella Crafting.

I always keep an umbrella/Eyebrella either on me or in a storage chest during the times I know I won’t be needing it- (you won’t ever need Eyebrella in Autumn or Winter for example..) so it can be stashed away and forgotten about till you need it later again.

More importantly character reworks and skill trees have been giving characters even more new items to fill their inventory slots up with. Woodie got meat effigies & treeguard summoning idols, Wendy has to carry around mourning glories and ecto potions etc.. so inventory space IS being filled up more and more..

Willow now has Bernie, her lighter, and Embers which all work in Tandem with one another.

So backpacks are already the dominate way of play anyway.

But now that sewing kits & miners helmets can literally be freely obtained by performing on Charlie’s Stage, I think Klei could really change other aspects of the game with this in mind.

If sewing kits are now this easy to obtain, then logically making players use them to repair items they weren’t repairing as often just sounds like “balance”

Case in point- Thermal stones never lose durability if kept hot or cold, BUT if weather wasn’t tied to which season your in, Thermals would go from hot to cold more often, requiring you to either use more sewing kits, or be prepared to craft extra thermals.

With Miners Helmets being dropped from the stage play I see no logical reason why Klei can’t add a randomized length of day.

For example- some nights are full moon nights (every 11th night I think??) but Wickerbottom can force Fullmoon anytime she desires.

What if day lengths weren’t tied to which season you’re playing in, and could instead be highly randomized?

you can already change day lengths in world Gen settings, but what if some days could be 5% Yellow, 70% Red, & 25% Blue? Or What if some days could end up being 0% Yellow, 0% Red, & 100% Blue?

Yeah you can effectively toggle this by playing the game in “Lights out mode” but what if it wasn’t JUST a mode? What if the game throwing unpredictable curveballs at you like this forced you to have supplies on hand to prepare for the unexpected?

Curveballs are what make survival games, and Roguelikes into the franchises that they are.. And just because they don’t currently exist in DST….

Just because to you they feel highly out of place, doesn’t mean that they don’t have any rights to be in DST.

In fact: in a game that’s already slam full of options on how the player chooses to play it (I can literally turn off every season and just build a massive Carrat race track..) I don’t think it’s going to hurt anything whatsoever to give players more options, modes, & settings in how they prefer to interact with and enjoy the game.

Lets just go ahead and fully rip that band-aid off, I HATE boss fights in dst, I was trying to fight Klaus the other day when suddenly a random frog rain, Varglet, and the season changed- so instead of just being able to focus on the Boss, I had to now deal with Wetness and tools slipping out my hands, dodging frogs, a Varg spawning hounds & the season going from spring to summer overheating-

if your incredibly skilled at the game sure maybe you can handle all of that, and if you can cool, cookies for you! But I could not- and I got ticked off and disabled anything that was directly interfering in just trying to learn how to fight the boss-

Varglet? Turned him Off, Frog Rain? GONE! Rainfall & Overheating? Screw that I’m shutting that off too..  now then- I can finally just focus on the boss and sanity drain/nightmares.

Whats my point? The game is already highly customizable as it is…..

So I sincerely do not think that adding “Highly randomly generated worlds” “Truly random season starts and ends” “Random lengths of Day” or “Weight Carrying Capacity” Y/N as world generation choices are going to hurt the way your currently playing and enjoying your game..

If anything- it would give players more OPTIONS in how they play the game.

I don’t judge people who turn off Wildfires, I judge them for wanting to completely remove wildfires from the game when there’s a world Gen setting to have them happen “Lots more often”

27 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The difference is made up in how many sewing kits you would need to repair damaged items, or how many resources you’ll need to carry to craft extras.

For me, I never ever EVER carry pigskin around with me, and as I’m sure you are aware, if you don’t have an Eyebrella Pigskin is needed for Umbrella Crafting.

I always keep an umbrella/Eyebrella either on me or in a storage chest during the times I know I won’t be needing it- (you won’t ever need Eyebrella in Autumn or Winter for example..) so it can be stashed away and forgotten about till you need it later again.

More importantly character reworks and skill trees have been giving characters even more new items to fill their inventory slots up with. Woodie got meat effigies & treeguard summoning idols, Wendy has to carry around mourning glories and ecto potions etc.. so inventory space IS being filled up more and more..

Willow now has Bernie, her lighter, and Embers which all work in Tandem with one another.

So backpacks are already the dominate way of play anyway.

But now that sewing kits & miners helmets can literally be freely obtained by performing on Charlie’s Stage, I think Klei could really change other aspects of the game with this in mind.

If sewing kits are now this easy to obtain, then logically making players use them to repair items they weren’t repairing as often just sounds like “balance”

Case in point- Thermal stones never lose durability if kept hot or cold, BUT if weather wasn’t tied to which season your in, Thermals would go from hot to cold more often, requiring you to either use more sewing kits, or be prepared to craft extra thermals.

With Miners Helmets being dropped from the stage play I see no logical reason why Klei can’t add a randomized length of day.

For example- some nights are full moon nights (every 11th night I think??) but Wickerbottom can force Fullmoon anytime she desires.

What if day lengths weren’t tied to which season you’re playing in, and could instead be highly randomized?

you can already change day lengths in world Gen settings, but what if some days could be 5% Yellow, 70% Red, & 25% Blue? Or What if some days could end up being 0% Yellow, 0% Red, & 100% Blue?

Yeah you can effectively toggle this by playing the game in “Lights out mode” but what if it wasn’t JUST a mode? What if the game throwing unpredictable curveballs at you like this forced you to have supplies on hand to prepare for the unexpected?

Curveballs are what make survival games, and Roguelikes into the franchises that they are.. And just because they don’t currently exist in DST….

Just because to you they feel highly out of place, doesn’t mean that they don’t have any rights to be in DST.

In fact: in a game that’s already slam full of options on how the player chooses to play it (I can literally turn off every season and just build a massive Carrat race track..) I don’t think it’s going to hurt anything whatsoever to give players more options, modes, & settings in how they prefer to interact with and enjoy the game.

Lets just go ahead and fully rip that band-aid off, I HATE boss fights in dst, I was trying to fight Klaus the other day when suddenly a random frog rain, Varglet, and the season changed- so instead of just being able to focus on the Boss, I had to now deal with Wetness and tools slipping out my hands, dodging frogs, a Varg spawning hounds & the season going from spring to summer overheating-

if your incredibly skilled at the game sure maybe you can handle all of that, and if you can cool, cookies for you! But I could not- and I got ticked off and disabled anything that was directly interfering in just trying to learn how to fight the boss-

Varglet? Turned him Off, Frog Rain? GONE! Rainfall & Overheating? Screw that I’m shutting that off too..  now then- I can finally just focus on the boss and sanity drain/nightmares.

Whats my point? The game is already highly customizable as it is…..

So I sincerely do not think that adding “Highly randomly generated worlds” “Truly random season starts and ends” “Random lengths of Day” or “Weight Carrying Capacity” Y/N as world generation choices are going to hurt the way your currently playing and enjoying your game..

If anything- it would give players more OPTIONS in how they play the game.

I don’t judge people who turn off Wildfires, I judge them for wanting to completely remove wildfires from the game when there’s a world Gen setting to have them happen “Lots more often”

that wouldn't make the game harder because there's nothing important that depends on the phase of the day other than catching butterflies and fireflies for the crabby hermit's quests and you can cast a star or use umbralla in case of weather, it isn't hard to stand nearby a tree or an endo campfire

you have to keep an eye on if it’s a Hot or Cold night and pick the appropriate gear

Im playing it and is basically wearing the 1st clothing you unlock all the time or equip the torch if you are in the very beguinning so you dont get cold at night...which doesnt kill you... later you unlock warmer clothing for areas with lower temperature and heat protective cloths for hot ones... isnt as interesting as dst in any way.

Raids are as easy as dodging or hide while your pokemons deal with the weak invasors...hounds arent a big deal but still are way more dangerous than palmworld raids. Even grounded raids are more "challenging"

Dst could have areas with different temperatures as people suggested many times but comparing a game with poor basic survival mechanics is insulting to klei's franchise

What's the point? If I can handle light & insanity issues then it doesn't matter how long the night is.

What if the game throwing unpredictable curveballs at you like this forced you to have supplies on hand to prepare for the unexpected?

You would just have to prepare for every situation and it's unnecessary grind.

HATE boss fights in dst, I was trying to fight Klaus the other day when suddenly a random frog rain, Varglet, and the season changed- so instead of just being able to focus on the Boss, I had to now deal with Wetness and tools slipping out my hands, dodging frogs, a Varg spawning hounds & the season going from spring to summer overheating-

If you hate those so much why advocate for more mechanics to interrupt whatever you're doing?

Randomness and chaos doesn't equal to fun gameplay, no, not on their own. If you just want random things happening all the time the game would be a huge mess with no clear structure or pattern. Is there even any game built on random things happening all the time?

14 hours ago, Riddla said:

I want to put my two cents on the idea of Pig Raids:

What if the game pressed consequences on you for slaughtering pigs and destroying their houses? The raids could start occurring if you did any of that, eventually just like hound waves, and the more you antagonize pigs in the constant, the more powerful and rewarding those raids become as you progress into the world.
It could evolve into some sort of reputation system even, allowing you to barter with pigs or just get more deals from Pig King.

So, yep. Minecraft villagers.

Perhaps having a Wortox/Webber/Wurt/Wonkey could automaticlly enable raids, with Wortox and Webber giving low tier raids while Wurt automatically sets raid level to maximum.

2 hours ago, Paxtonnnn said:

Honestly I don’t get why people want pig raids so badly. It just sounds like it’d be hound waves but more annoying

I think it is in large part because pigs are perhaps one of the most under-developed aspects of DST, they haven't been changed in ages despite being the oldest follower. A raid that delivers large meat and pigskin would also be nice for pubs. I think how annoying it is would largely depend on implementation, but an intelligent creature attacking you opens up a lot of options for survival mechanics.

Archived