[Game Update] - Public Testing 579980

Is this the right moment to ask for decorative plants like briar bluff to add a small bonus to happiness of critters if present? I think it`s still in it`s description. Different critters could prefer plants from different biomes which would add more use for them.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Is this the right moment to ask for decorative plants like briar bluff to add a small bonus to happiness of critters if present? I think it`s still in it`s description. Different critters could prefer plants from different biomes which would add more use for them.

I would like this, too. That would be a reason to put at least one bluff briar into the stables. And it adds variety and beauty. 

Maybe the plant could provide a bonus of +1 to the critter's happiness. Not too much, and still good enough. 

• Big Ups 1

hmm... I suddenly remembered that since the earliest times creatures have two temperature ranges. But the comfort range doesn't actually affect anything.
Maybe now is the right time to make the impact of the temperature comfort range to increase the happiness of creatures.

457140_20231106205905_2.png.43ccee1c7d64b8d27bc0abf3f0ef0cc9.png

• Like 15

so critter condo and no grooming or brackene allows for a ranch to function without dupe work, cool.  full metabolism but no high reproduction rate though.  i hope you guys do one for flying critters so i can automate puft ranching, maybe gassy moos too

i wish it affected taming a wild critter, like a +5% to taming.  it would only really affect pacu though but would be for the cuteness of the land critters

and can we get overjoyed reactions for the critters that get +10 to happiness?  even if it's just cute stuff

i'm glad pacu got some tuning to their diet, 0.33seed or 140kg algae seemed funny

• Like 2

To developers

I think the idea of Dehydrator and Rehydrator is great.

I don't know the detailed specifications, but I think the food obtained through them should be of lower quality than the original food.You also need to think about reducing calories.

The quality of food deteriorates, but the expiration date becomes indefinite.

That relationship is realistic and understandable.

Rehydrator has huge "WORK IN PROGRESS" sign. Since we all know that everything in beta is work in progress it's strange they highlighted that fact for this building. I wouldn't be suprised if they changed everything about Rehydrator in the future

On 11/3/2023 at 2:30 AM, JarrettM said:

Features

• Spaced Out! only
    • Added Rocket Port Extension building.

I think would be kind of neat if Extension was serving as ladder. I know dupe can climb on top of it so it does provide access but since it's already looking as ladder:
image.png.2be50503b0c9bc154ef80600ab790679.png

I would also like to see movable part of Gantry to be either one tile shorter (as you cannot place Gantries from both sides in picture above) or three tiles longer to cover whole rocket platform width.

17 hours ago, Colqhoun said:

A second version of rocket port extender that doubles as a wall would be nice. 

Second version serving as wall would be also really nice. Some people would enjoy possibility to have rocket silo to each rocket. Or (in my case) i ould certainly like to move conveyor (un)loader out of very hot rocket silos...

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 9:45 AM, VitaCoke said:

wrong again. it does, but above the tile. so when you build it on the ceiling or as a wall, it is sealed.

It does not, at least not reliably or sufficiently.  I have four of them in a rocket.  None are on the ceiling.  The O2 pressure in the rocket not maintain 1800g as it would if you put the oxylite in a just one storage container.  Some sporadically outgas, but apparently not enough to maintain pressure.  So, basically, you still need a storage container to get reliable outgassing and even then you're going to see dupes waste time transferring sub 1 kg amounts between the storage container and the wall container. Right now: can't recommend for this purpose.  

46 minutes ago, Kderosa said:

It does not, at least not reliably or sufficiently.  I have four of them in a rocket.  None are on the ceiling.  The O2 pressure in the rocket not maintain 1800g as it would if you put the oxylite in a just one storage container.  Some sporadically outgas, but apparently not enough to maintain pressure.  So, basically, you still need a storage container to get reliable outgassing and even then you're going to see dupes waste time transferring sub 1 kg amounts between the storage container and the wall container. Right now: can't recommend for this purpose.  

I wonder how are you trying to offgas said Oxylite. I don't use Oxylite as source of Oxygen for my rocketeers (i just prefer one large gas tank), but since I had glimpse of your conversation about offgasing I immediately thought of using few Storage Tiles as emergency oxygen supply (I am sometimes dumb enought to forget to return with ship when oxygen is out). So I've set up testing enviroment to see how much it does offgas:

image.png.65ad95255ad2a115e71c25ea740e4f34.png

In my quick test, I get constant offgas around 500 g/s, so oxygen is replenished as fast as pump removes it...

EDIT

I had some issues with my testing save (it was created before current test patch) so I've recreated test to make sure there's not something I overlooked. Now I must confirm storage tile and offgasing are working kind of strange - in picture below, dupes just set tile to Oxylite and loaded it up with 1.000 Kg, yet there's still vacuum inside rocket.

image.png.c212f3a546bd290d52b776f664325062.png

Offgasing starts only if I introduce a little bit of oxygen inside rocket (I've set up dupes to erase filter on tile and then set it again to Oxylite). Now oxylite offgas around 1.000 g/s.

Edited by Jurij I. Gorkij
More testing

20 hours ago, Jurij I. Gorkij said:

I had some issues with my testing save (it was created before current test patch) so I've recreated test to make sure there's not something I overlooked. Now I must confirm storage tile and offgasing are working kind of strange - in picture below, dupes just set tile to Oxylite and loaded it up with 1.000 Kg, yet there's still vacuum inside rocket.

Exactly.  Sometimes they appear to work fine. Then I check back later and the O2 levels in the cabin are very low, despite having over 1 ton of oxylite in storage.

Here's my preferred O2 Rocket delivery system. 

Primary O2 supply to the atmosuit docks and (overflows) to the rocket interior is from the Gas Output Port. This is the cheapest way to supply O2 to the rocket if the infrastructure is available. The bridge arrangement gives priority to the gas output port.

Secondary O2 supply to the atmosuit docks is from the Gas Cargo Cannister when the gas infrastructure is not available on a planet.  I find this is the most energy efficient method because gas pumps are power hogs. The ducts can be easily reconfigured to permit overflow to the rocket interior as well, but this serves to shorten the amount of time you can stay on a planet.

So, the secondary O2 supply to the rocket interior is in a storage bin which allows for outgasssing (or an oxygen diffuser in the earlier game, but this takes up more space and uses more power). The storage bin is strategically placed were it cannot easily be radiation vomitted on which causes overpressure of the cabin, popped eardrums and ultimately stress reactions in your dupes.  This is bad.

Ideally, the oxylite would be stored in one or more of the new wall storage tiles and the storage bin repurposed to hold other materials, but their unreliable outgassing prevents this presently.

Emergency O2 is the gas bottles left behind when worn atmosuits are dropped.  Or just keep your dupes in the atmosuits indefinitely and they'll be able to breathe magic O2 provided the O2 pressure in your rocket cabin is high enough.

This rocket design gives great room and barracks bonuses (total morale of 30+ typically) and is entirely self contained for two dupes.  When colonizing a new planet, no infrastructure needs to be built on the planet.  The dupes can live right in the rocket for 30+ cycles until either the O2, food, or water supply is depleted. Usually it's the O2 for the atmosuit docks ff your fridge is at least half-way filled.

20231108095745_1.jpg.46ce4f9ec9a0bb035c6257e624bac8fb.jpg

On 11/4/2023 at 6:00 AM, LadenSwallow said:

I have always liked using meter valves with not gates to control a metal volcanoes output through a steam chamber. Many of my conveyor loader builds could require changing. Would it be possible to have the new behaviour act like the advanced toggle on the counter automation building?

I would like to second this suggestion. Holding Meter Valves open with automation is a really valuable use-case, and if nothing else, it's a nice quality of life feature that we don't have to listen to the meter valve flipping on and off repeatedly when it's receiving lots of input.

Alternatively, a non-automated Conveyor Valve a'la what Liquids and Gasses have wouldn't be a terrible idea...

• Like 2

half of me sees this as good, but lets not break starvation farming options.. make feeding and such worth more?
This would be a "big" change vs what the norm is, and while it can be good, it makes alot of older guides worthless!
So leaving starvation in, and adding bonuses.. maybe new drops only from happy when killed/died?
Pacu Dropping Roe/eggs that are meant for just food but only when happy?
Hatches when happy make refined carbon?

Make the new idea do more things, and not "punish" for using old ideas.

I would like to see a option to store the oxylite and have a machine that will output it so its not over pressured.
Replacing the walls.. would be.. not a early thing or maybe we could have it be later on bigger storage? I like the idea of more options like the rocketry mod. More shapes/sizes etc, the inside customization would be nice, ability to dig out walls with a "cost" like put X ore inside and it will unlock?

1 hour ago, Mementh said:

half of me sees this as good, but lets not break starvation farming options.. make feeding and such worth more?

Just to check you are aware that the algae requirements to feed Pacus was drastically reduced, from 200 kg/cycle to 7.5 kg/cycle?

And starvation ranching which involves grooming has not been nerfed by these patches, only some forms of ungroomed starvation ranching.

And even then, it's mostly an effect of critters now not being so tolerant of crowding, in other words the nerf is towards crowding hundreds of critters in a tiny room. In the case of Pacus the changes mean you can't starvation ranch hundreds of pacus in a tiny pool. You can still starvation ranch them in a pool which is large enough that they don't become miserable.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, blakemw said:

Just to check you are aware that the algae requirements to feed Pacus was drastically reduced, from 200 kg/cycle to 7.5 kg/cycle?

And starvation ranching which involves grooming has not been nerfed by these patches, only some forms of ungroomed starvation ranching.

And even then, it's mostly an effect of critters now not being so tolerant of crowding, in other words the nerf is towards crowding hundreds of critters in a tiny room. In the case of Pacus the changes mean you can't starvation ranch hundreds of pacus in a tiny pool. You can still starvation ranch them in a pool which is large enough that they don't become miserable.

makes sense, but i was gonna do the 100's for silly sake to copy a francis john video :)
So now you have to still provide water space, not just air space in general am i understanding right?

9 hours ago, Mementh said:

So now you have to still provide water space, not just air space in general am i understanding right?

Yeah, Pacus have to be kept in a minimum of 8 tiles of liquid. You can keep 9 pacus in 8 tiles of liquid before they become miserable, or you can keep 10 pacus in 9 tiles of liquid with a Water Fort.

The rules are a bit funny/nuanced:

1. For crowding, pacu look for other pacu (not other critters) in the connected volume of liquid, regardless of rooms.
  2. For confined, pacus use completely normal rules, meaning it is the room that matters not the body of liquid.
  3. Other critters will get crowded by pacu if they are in the same room, even if the pacu are not getting crowded by the other critters.

Because pacus use liquid volume but only consider pacus, and because other critters use room, you can actually for instance have 8 pacus and 8 sanishells in the same ~100 tiles of liquid, as long as the pacus are in a separate room they won't crowd each other.