Is there a reason why Split Screen is disabled on PC?

For those that don't know, the console versions allow you to play with other players on the same device with split screen, yet for some reason the option is completely missing on PC, and I find this choice to be extremely weird considering how upon world creation, one of the options for opening your world is "local" (who are you supposed play locally with?). I don't even think the option is missing from the code of the PC version (most console enabled features are still in the PC version's code, just disabled) but rather that it's simply not enabled for some weird arbitrary reason. I legitimately can't think of an explanation for this choice, is it because splitscreen is coded to detect multiple controllers and the devs don't want to make it detect multiple types of inputs? Or is it to encourage people to buy a console version while already owning the PC one just to play with their family members? I would really like to hear a response from the dev team about why such an obvious feature is completely absent on what is otherwise the most complete version to experience the game

And because I know some people are inevitably going to make some remark about it: Yes, people do in fact play games on split screen on PC, a splitscreen game literally won game of the year, there is no reason for this option to be disabled on a PC game that is literally called "Don't Starve Together"

Well what local would mean in this case is lan play, just letting people play together on multiple devices while connected to the same network.

That being said I think it'd be really good if they just allowed you to also play splitscreen on pc, both because lan play would require several pcs to work which can be expensive and because on paper there shouldn't really be too many issues with it on pc if it's already a standard thing on console.

6 hours ago, MagicalStorm said:

As someone who played a lot of split screen games with her little cousins on PC, yes please.

^I feel like the lack of split screen is just a missed opportunity to encourage people to get others around them interested in DST

6 hours ago, Nettalie said:

Well what local would mean in this case is lan play, just letting people play together on multiple devices while connected to the same network.

That being said I think it'd be really good if they just allowed you to also play splitscreen on pc, both because lan play would require several pcs to work which can be expensive and because on paper there shouldn't really be too many issues with it on pc if it's already a standard thing on console.

Actually.. it may be a limitation in Older PC Hardware. Like for example some peoples PCs can’t run a surface & caves server at the same time.. *shrugs*

42 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Actually.. it may be a limitation in Older PC Hardware. Like for example some peoples PCs can’t run a surface & caves server at the same time.. *shrugs*

So people with good pc also aren't allowed to do it then?

Klei can easily just give a warning "don't enable this if your pc isn't powerful enough"

8 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

For those that don't know, the console versions allow you to play with other players on the same device with split screen, yet for some reason the option is completely missing on PC, and I find this choice to be extremely weird considering how upon world creation, one of the options for opening your world is "local" (who are you supposed play locally with?). I don't even think the option is missing from the code of the PC version (most console enabled features are still in the PC version's code, just disabled) but rather that it's simply not enabled for some weird arbitrary reason. I legitimately can't think of an explanation for this choice, is it because splitscreen is coded to detect multiple controllers and the devs don't want to make it detect multiple types of inputs? Or is it to encourage people to buy a console version while already owning the PC one just to play with their family members? I would really like to hear a response from the dev team about why such an obvious feature is completely absent on what is otherwise the most complete version to experience the game

And because I know some people are inevitably going to make some remark about it: Yes, people do in fact play games on split screen on PC, a splitscreen game literally won game of the year, there is no reason for this option to be disabled on a PC game that is literally called "Don't Starve Together"

Could be because splitscreen dst is a disaster, I have played locally on series x before and I gotta say, game lags, somehow.

So it is likely they don't wanna bother with the feature.

Theres no reason why it shouldnt be added.

I also feel like console players like myself should have the option to change their world/save from online to offline and vice versa.

I had no internet for 3 days and was unable to play my longterm world which sucks. 

9 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

ne of the options for opening your world is "local" (who are you supposed play locally with?)

i think this one is through Lan. other device with same connection/network.
this is why klei give PC version a copy of game so two person can play together while not able to do it on split screen. 

2 hours ago, Spino43 said:

So people with good pc also aren't allowed to do it then?

Klei can easily just give a warning "don't enable this if your pc isn't powerful enough"

I’m not sure what the case is when it comes to PC but I remember asking about the PS5 and Xbox Series X/S getting features that the PS4 & Xbox One currently do not have- Such as higher player count (they max at 6) larger game world, & lots more & Tons for world Gen settings (highest it goes is more)

I asked how come the newer consoles PS5 & Series X/S could not have these capabilities and I was told something about a rule Sony has that they can’t add any content to DST for the PS5 that wouldn’t also be available on the PS4, and that they’d likely have to remake the game on PS5 to get the clear on that.

It’s been a year or two though so this May have changed, you’ll have to ask the almighty JoeW.

Im just going to assume that the same would apply to Newer PC vs Older PC.

On 10/28/2023 at 6:39 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Im just going to assume that the same would apply to Newer PC vs Older PC.

Certainly not, enabling or not enabling caves is still a thing.

On 10/27/2023 at 8:14 PM, Guille6785 said:

I don't even think the option is missing from the code of the PC version

It is probably missing. splitscreenutils_pc.lua
image.thumb.png.832314f9dbdae6e287b439f7353838ea.png
splitscreenutils.lua doesn't exist, at least on PC version.

So... Any news on this? Would love to be able to play the game in split-screen on the TV via steam link, but as it stands Stardew valley is basically the only game me and the GF can play together on the couch...

Bumping this, I've played DST on my Ps5 and honestly it's quite solid, not my preferred way to play but if it allows me to play with someone it's a great compromise. Would love to bring my Steam Deck over to a friends and play splitscreen there.

3 hours ago, Klarsch said:

So... Any news on this? Would love to be able to play the game in split-screen on the TV via steam link, but as it stands Stardew valley is basically the only game me and the GF can play together on the couch...

49 minutes ago, Starlogy said:

Bumping this, I've played DST on my Ps5 and honestly it's quite solid, not my preferred way to play but if it allows me to play with someone it's a great compromise. Would love to bring my Steam Deck over to a friends and play splitscreen there.

This absolutely has to be brought up; Steam has been pushing towards a more console-like experience for the past few years now, a lot of my friends own decks and I myself use steam link sometimes to play PC games in my living room. This notion that split screen on a PC game is somehow ridiculous needs to die out. I hope Klei notice this thread and at least consider this change

Archived