Why is the update called "host of Horrors" if there is nothing "scary" and "horror" in the update itself?

2 hours ago, cropo said:

Doesn't China have a lot of strict rules regarding depiction of rotting and undead things? Surely that might have factored in to it a little? Plus I like the more mystical looks of the creatures rather than them just being giant piles of gore myself.

Moonrock pengull was released 2 years before Klei being acquired by Tencent, yet it's still somewhat gory

18 minutes ago, _zwb said:

Moonrock pengull was released 2 years before Klei being acquired by Tencent, yet it's still somewhat gory

Their Chinese playerbase was absolutely massive before Tencent acquired them.

It's not about the appearence, it's about what they represent, have you seen stunned Lunar Deerclops? Have you seen how it twitches? It's kind of creepy, they are not living creatures affected by the Brightshades, they are dead creatures possessed by Brightshades, they don't conserve their animal behaviour either, Deerclops stops destroying structures, Beargers stops looking out for food.

28 minutes ago, cropo said:

Their Chinese playerbase was absolutely massive before Tencent acquired them.

Either way, it would've been censored exclusively if it was gory enough, take Terraria as an example, or PUBG.

20 minutes ago, Neu7ral said:

Either way, it would've been censored exclusively if it was gory enough, take Terraria as an example, or PUBG

Not always, censorship there doesn't really have a consistent enforcement and is always changing. a small thing that no one reports may not be censored, but entire content updates carrying that theme for much longer will start to raise eyebrows and could actually have action be taken.

6 hours ago, Fill-Lips said:

It's strange this thread is on about horror and gore, but no mention of Lunar pengulls, cos they are quite horrifying and gorey to look at:

Moonrock_Pengull.webp.b65fb8787227164bb09b60221ef45228.webp

Gah, I love the Lunal Pengulls. Such a great and creative design. Wish they leaned into it more but It's Klei's game if they wanted to move away from it that's fine. Just glad they are bringing back the concept with the mutated reanimation even if it is less brutal.

Horror isn't only about how scary something looks. It's also about the implications of something's existence that are scary. Looking at the video game and going "huh, deer got stabbed through the eye" isn't really as terrifying as "giant god in the sky that we previously assumed was just a piece of rock has been mangling creatures left and right in a way that looks pretty damn painful and we're not sure what it's goal is. Also, if it can do this to a freaky deer or bear, what can it do to me?"

At least that's how I view it. And overthink.

31 minutes ago, BezKa said:

Horror isn't only about how scary something looks. It's also about the implications

I mean... I could implicate a crapton of stuff based on its foundation that'd make dst seem like a survival-horror but that doesn't change the fact that dst has been getting less and less creepy and tim-burton'y throughout the years.

In the same manner taking a hue-shifted mob and slapping a 'it's a zombie' sticker on its forehead doesn't really cut it

Klei either needs to make the mobs look actually creepy, like with the original 3 horrors or deerclops's empty eye stabed with a spike. Or they have to lean into the animation side of horror, where the mobs' movements would indicate that it is being puppeteered by the gestalt/Alter. Deerclops' after-stun spike regrowth is a good example. He just levitates of the ground and spikes burst out of him. Idk, maybe Varg's head could just bobble around as its running, or Bearger's mouth could be permanently agape, his lower jaw swinging around with each swipe and step

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

tim-burton'y

I despise this weird expression and I can't wait until people stop using it because it's driving me insane

As for everything else, we're still in beta. I hope some things get changed, but if it was left as it is now I wouldn't mind, and still think "horror" matches well enough

2 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

Bosses are not scary at all despite people claiming "the rotting zonbie corpses" are "terrorific" (they are not rotting corpses lol)

Not that they need to be scary, i think that they look cool, but lets not imply they are something they arent

I don't know dude, if I saw possessed bear, I'd be very scared

21 hours ago, Sanitar said:

The problem is that they don't look like necromancy. In the same minecraft zombie piglins look like zombies. Varg, Bearger are not suitable for zombies (undead)

Gestalts inhabit fresh corpses. These corpses have not yet had time to rot.

However, the biggest problem is that, the term "horror" is often connected with shadow things (like Pure Horror and Resting Horror). This update is mainly about moon things, which should be described with words like "brilliance", "bright", etc.

Archived