Do you like Science or Magic more?

According to this: image.png.cbc913e5b616715f26dd8a2c8f3055da.png

this world is full of magic and science, what filter (magic filters count things like ancient pseudoscience station do, and things that can't be explained, like wickerbottems books) you think is better? keep in mind the enjoyment the items give too.

might do a magic or science only playthru somedayAlchemy Engine - Don't Starve WikiPC / Computer - Don't Starve - The Spriters Resource

They're both means to not having to worry about the "uncompromising", "wilderness" and "survival" parts of the game, so they're both equally good.

A better question would be to ask people if they like Shadow or Lunar magic more, then all chaos will be set loose.

well, I have decided to do a magic only playthrough

On 8/9/2023 at 3:09 AM, Cheggf said:

A magic only playthrough would first entail farming tumbleweeds until you randomly obtain a blueprint for a prestihatitator. 

I will be using wickerbottem so i know the recipe at the start. Wickerbottem is a very good choice as the only light i can craft is the nightlight, which is... the nightlight, so I can use the light book. getting a feather pencil is going to be an issue, as the light book is going to be used a lot and no charging is bad.

The only exception to this rule is 4 boards, alongside an axe ONLY for 16 wood, 1 top hat, and a trap, so i can craft the first magic station. The Pinch and winch so i can continue the lunar questline, and conveniently, sunken chests can drop feather pencils. i will update this post to see how this goes soon.

note that I cannot craft or use science items but can use it for magic recipes. but can't craft science items myself, so the sunken chests for the rescue again for gold, and paper, and oh no it just dawned on me how many science items are there... like the boat, guess its required to beat the game so i allow it. I'm going to add a bunch of rules on the fly aren't I...

32 minutes ago, Nnumber3 said:

The only exception to this rule is 4 boards, alongside an axe ONLY for 16 wood, 1 top hat, and a trap, so i can craft the first magic station.

You can obtain all of those materials without science. Get something (Rook or antlion) to destroy something made of boards (Pig or bunny house) for boards, randomly find a trap set piece for rabbits. Unless you can just pick up sleeping rabbits, I forgot if you can. I don't think you can. 

21 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You can obtain all of those materials without science. Get something (Rook or antlion) to destroy something made of boards (Pig or bunny house) for boards, randomly find a trap set piece for rabbits. Unless you can just pick up sleeping rabbits, I forgot if you can. I don't think you can. 

I forgot you could use rooks! I pretty sure I won't survive until summer with nothing but 3 uses of the lightbook and my fists, (Which is how I got the silk) could save scum for spawn light, but i feel it's kinda cheating. the top hat is a failed survivors drop but that relays on insane luck, alongside the rook even spawning near a pig home, as it could spawn in the desert. im already breaking my rules with the pinch and winch so i don't think it's that bad. rabbits do go to sleep at night, but they have to be homeless, and i can't use a shovel. tumbles have the answer as they have a 0.1% chance to drop pickable rabbits, but having all of these things sounds like torture. the trap set piece is also insanely luck based as if it only has 3 to 1 use left, I'm screwed.

(also had to use a pic to open a sinkhole)

Tbh I think a science-y equivalent to the ruins gear would be fun, especially with the prevalence of wagstaff now.

You’d think the shadow side of things would be more magic-oriented, and the lunar side would be more science-oriented to reflect both of their “leaders” but that’s just not the case. It’s a real shame too, since idk about you but I really like the asthetic of the mechanical sciency things in DST.

Anyways back to the main point of the thread, while I’d love to go science, magic is definitely cooler rn

made a separate post for this challenge. 

its right here :wilson_blush:

18 minutes ago, goblinball said:

Tbh I think a science-y equivalent to the ruins gear would be fun, especially with the prevalence of wagstaff now.

You’d think the shadow side of things would be more magic-oriented, and the lunar side would be more science-oriented to reflect both of their “leaders” but that’s just not the case. It’s a real shame too, since idk about you but I really like the asthetic of the mechanical sciency things in DST.

Anyways back to the main point of the thread, while I’d love to go science, magic is definitely cooler rn

Makes a lot of sense, as magic is the star of the show right now and Wagstaff IS a "lunar inventor" I love magic in this game, but mechanical weapons sound really cool too, and more fitting. I can just imagine fighting of terrorbeaks with a lunar machine gun...

Archived