[Resolved] Extended game fonts

Hi there! This is addressed more to the Klei development team than to the forum users.

What is the problem: we are actively making Ukrainian localization for the game and, obviously, the original game fonts do not support Cyrillic. And yes, we know that the Cyrillic support was integrated by the previous RLP team, but in many fonts that used there, there are no Ukrainian and Belarusian alphabet symbols, so we need to develop fonts from scratch.

As it turns out, the game uses extended versions of fonts that are not publicly available anywhere on the web. You can see on the attached screenshots what I mean.
Also, as it turned out, the same issue before us asked by Some1 in time during the active development of RLP for Together, who was contacted by the developers literally the next days and provided fonts and additional help on their converting.
I've tried contacting Some1 (he's been inactive in the community since way back in 2017) and the current RLP development team (they say the necessary files are missing or lost), so it looks like we need help directly from the Klei devs.

BelisaPlummilaPublic.png

BelisaPlumillaGame.png

Edited by Phyan
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Health 1
  • Sanity 2
  • Big Ups 1
  • Potato Cup 1

3 hours ago, elay_me said:

Will the letter ў be added so that in the future Belarusian localizers can then make their own localization based on your font?

Of course! We want to implement support for as many different characters as we can!
Extended Cyrillic (especially with Ukrainian and Belarusian letters support!) and Extended Latin are our priority so everyone will be able to use our extended font version in their localizations!

Edited by Phyan

• MOTD

@Phyan Hey sorry for the delay, this thread got missed and I had to look into what license this font had. It's listed as Free for Personal and Commercial Use by the author Lluís Bartra when they released it in 2006. In 2014 we made our own special version that added more characters. I see no reason why we can't share this and I've attached our modified font here. 

We have limitations in the game on how many characters we can include. However, in your Twitter request here that alerted me to this, you said:

Regarding Unicode characters, thanks for pointing that out, yes, the game still lacks support for the Hryvnia symbol [₴, U+20B4] as well as the Belarus Short U symbol [Ў, U+040E] [ў, U+045E] I really hope you can add support for at least these characters! Especially Ўў

I can confirm that in the next hotfix of the game these three characters will become natively supported. If you want to create additional ones for a mod etc, you can use the included font file and something like http://www.angelcode.com/products/bmfont/ to create those. Hope that helps!

belisa_plumilla_complete.ttf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Sanity 1
  • Big Ups 3

@Corey, thank you so much for getting in touch and providing original font versions to us!
You can't imagine how much you helped us, so thank you from the whole Ukrainian Don't Starve community!
:wilson_vforvictory:

I'm sorry to say, but it seems that we still have difficulties with exporting them through BMfont: all letters like Ї Ґ Й (as well as the extended Latin letters) even in the font you provided are cropping during the export:

Spoiler

image.png

We know what causes this to happen, but we can't adequately address it sadly.

Perhaps you can somehow redirect us to the developer responsible for importing fonts into the game? Some1 seems to have had the same problem and was consulted by either Brook or some other community manager in that time.

Edited by Phyan

@Phyan How has the font sent by Jasse resolved your main problem in the first post if the font is still be different from your LaTeX attached texture? o_X

It is literally as a free font from the internet, just with some extented symbols. I really can't get it.

On 8/22/2023 at 11:54 PM, Corey said:

@Phyan Hey sorry for the delay, this thread got missed and I had to look into what license this font had. It's listed as Free for Personal and Commercial Use by the author Lluís Bartra when they released it in 2006. In 2014 we made our own special version that added more characters. I see no reason why we can't share this and I've attached our modified font here. 

We have limitations in the game on how many characters we can include. However, in your Twitter request here that alerted me to this, you said:

I can confirm that in the next hotfix of the game these three characters will become natively supported. If you want to create additional ones for a mod etc, you can use the included font file and something like http://www.angelcode.com/products/bmfont/ to create those. Hope that helps!

belisa_plumilla_complete.ttf 51.75 kB · 29 downloads

Maybe I am a bit late but I would like to point out that your extended version of the Belisa Plumilla font is missing the "ť" character used in the Slovak and Czech languages.

This is most like a bug since every other character from these languages is supported (the "t" character from the image is incorrectly displayed "ť" character which leads to confusion in the chat):

Screenshot_20240212-073744.jpg

• Like 1