Fishing (Spoiler)

Bogpad

Ok, I thought it would be nice to collect everything we know about fishing in here, so here I start with what I have learned so far, feel free to add any info you have aswell!

Tool needed:

Fishing Rod

2 Spider Silk

2 Sticks

The Process:

To go fishing, you craft a fishing rod and move to the next pond, these are a swamp biome exclusive map feature.(you can not fish in the ocean surrounding the islands!)

Equiping the fishing rod enables you to interact with the ponds, starting a "Mini game" that results into catching fish.

The process of fishing is the following:

- First click starts fishing. At this point you can click again to "stop fishing", or just move your character. Starting the fishing process will take 11% durability off of your fishing rod.

- After some seconds (I counted up to about 30 seconds sometimes), you will get the next option in the fishing mini game, its the "hook" option.

Missing the click on the hook option leads back to step 1.

- After you click the "hook" option, the next option pops up, it's "reel in".

If you miss this click, your fishing rod will be pulled out of your hand and into the pond, no matter of its current durability.

hitting the "reel in" option in time will make your character pull a fish out of the pond and place it behind him/her, where the fish will stay alive for 5 seconds, then die. picking up dead or living fish makes no differece to the inventory item you will get.

Things we know about Fish:

Raw Fish bonus:

Hunger: 10

Health: at least 69

Cooked Fish bonus:

Hunger: 17

Health: at least 69

advanced cooking:

Fish Sticks:

X Fish + X Sticks

1 Fish + 3 Sticks:

Health: 30

Hunger: 30

Time: 4/16

2 Fish + 2 Sticks

Health: 40

Hunger: 30

Time: 4/16

Fun facts about fishing/fish:

- the last 11% of your rod can not be used to fish anymore, since the rod will break after you clicked on the pond, thus meaning that a rod at 11% is useless (except for hitting a frog with it).

- fish does not seem to count as meat-type, because cooking fish with fruits or vegetables nets you with either fruit medly or ratatouille.

- if you put 4 fish in a crock pot, you get a wet goop, as you do when cooking only filler items.

- hitting an enemy with a fishing rod does not enough damage to kill a frog or a rabbit in one hit and decreases the rods durability to 56%. It actually takes 4 hits to kill a frog, no idea on rabbits as of yet.

- standing in a weird angle to the pond can result in a bug, where your animation indicates that you are fishing, while in reality, you are not.

- as of now, it seems not possible to "over fish" a pond. bait-times seem randome, they do not get longer the more fish you pulled out already.

Edited by Bogpad

I just started experimenting on fish as food, and raw/cooked fish healed me for at least 69 health, thats a pretty amazing number, considering how easy it is to get fish.

Easy?

I doubt standing near tentacles for some time is safe enough.

Hey, good idea!

Mwa ha ha ha ha

I actually wouldn't even mind if they respawn, make it a slow respawn if it must be, but something needs to change.

There is only one swamp region left for me on my whole map, and I haven't looted one single tentacle spot thingy for the new hat. In all other swamp biomes I have on my current map, tentacles are already extinct!

Doesn't seem like it's worth the resource investment and time to fish, especially since I have to go to a dangerous biome. Is ocean fishing coming? And has anyone developed strategies to make fishing worth it or is it just something fun to try for the time being?

Doesn't seem like it's worth the resource investment and time to fish, especially since I have to go to a dangerous biome. Is ocean fishing coming? And has anyone developed strategies to make fishing worth it or is it just something fun to try for the time being?

I usually harvest silk by placing spiders nest very near to 2 spiketacles, so they fight and die first thing in the night.

And spiketacles aren't that bad once you learn how to fight them. You'll probably have to kill only 1 or 2 to clear a swap and fish safely.