Should riding/taming get more update for other creatures?

Taming a grass gator would change the entire game.  Being able to traverse the ocean on a mount that lets you turn on a dime would make ocean exploration 100x more enjoyable. It could also make crab king an enjoyable fight, although they'd probably have to tweak CK a little like make imposing claws deal damage to your mount.

The best thing is that I don't think it would be that hard for them to do it. Grass Gators share the same type of model as the beefalo, all the developers would really have to do is come up with a saddle, the equivalent of the beefalo bell, and then some easy stuff like roar and pet animations. 

5 hours ago, Lardee said:

All the developers would really have to do is come up with a saddle, the equivalent of the beefalo bell

I think the better/easier solution would be just generalizing the beefalo gear so it can be used for every mount in the game. 

I don't like the idea of having the equivalent of a beefalo bell for other mounts in the game eitherway. For example, a rockjaw could be made a mount in two ways.

A: Add a dedicated saddle and beefalo bell that clogs up inventory space and doesn't differentiate from beefalo taming.

B: Reuse the beefalo saddle + use meat to tame it and call it by dropping meat at the shore. 

B would remove any unnecessary items and make the taming mechanics more niche and unique.

7 hours ago, Lardee said:

The best thing is that I don't think it would be that hard for them to do it. Grass Gators share the same type of model as the beefalo, all the developers would really have to do is come up with a saddle, the equivalent of the beefalo bell, and then some easy stuff like roar and pet animations. 

It would not be that easy! While the beefalo model has been used as a base template for a lot of other creatures like you mentioned the Grass Gator, they are still animated very differently and heavily edited!

They would have to make new versions of every currently existing mount animation in the game to fit the gator, and there are upwards of 50+ of them in the game, might even be nearing a hundred!

Not impossible, but not as easy as you say it is.

Edit: Actually, double that animation count, therell need to be versions of them for when they're in water of course! 

20 minutes ago, Hornete said:

It would not be that easy! While the beefalo model has been used as a base template for a lot of other creatures like you mentioned the Grass Gator, they are still animated very differently and heavily edited!

They would have to make new versions of every currently existing mount animation in the game to fit the gator, and there are upwards of 50+ of them in the game, might even be nearing a hundred!

Not impossible, but not as easy as you say it is.

Edit: Actually, double that animation count, therell need to be versions of them for when they're in water of course! 

Maybe.. but how hard would it be to just add some new skins to the Beefalo Dressing Structure that alters the Beefalos appearance? We still have the cute dress up tab as a core part of the game now, and I was expecting at some point it would become like the character Wardrobe where I can Mix/Match Heads, Torsos, Legs Etc.. Sadly: Nothing ever came of that.

Cant be “too Hard” to just add a “Costume” to the Beefalo right?? I mean they release new character skins nearly every update..

14 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

You can mix and match parts even with the limited amounts of cosmetics we have

I know, but that’s not what I meant.. 

I can make Wigfrid look like a Minotaur by giving her Wortox’s Tail & furry hands.

470E5A8D-A624-4A98-ADE4-7CBE9DA86FEB.thumb.png.538273cabac2ec084fc2565961bd3ff9.png

So then.. Why can’t I make a Beefalo look like something other than a Beefalo (such as a grass gator or Koalephant) by changing its head, tail etc like playing with Legos?

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

So then.. Why can’t I make a Beefalo look like something other than a Beefalo (such as a grass gator or Koalephant) by changing its head, tail etc like playing with Legos

oh you want it like that different skeletons i guess not as easy as moving one piece to another

On 5/22/2023 at 12:54 PM, gamehun20 said:

Can't you already keep them at base via a new above average tree? And teleportation 

No need to have the above-avarage tree - they don't return to their spawn once they are far enough. And sometimes, there's no need for teleportation either (If the waterlogged is connected to the mainland via shallow water). I sometimes chase them using woodie's goose form and bring them to base (usually to the surprise of everyone on the public server). They are a great source of twigs.

When I'd first heard of saddles back when I was only playing basic Don't Starve and its expansions, I'd assumed other creatures like Koalephants and Ewcuses and so forth would be viable rides, so yeah, I've thought this would be a cool idea from before I even bought DST.

A tamed grass gator could be fairly slow when taking you across the sea, so boats or teleport have their place, but at the same time we have more options to face the ocean.
I'd love if we could also mount Koalephants, Ewecus and Vargs, with different stats and perks each. No option should overshadow beefalos and their tendencies, though. (IE: if a Varg deals more damage than an ornery beef, it should be slower, or some sort of careful balance like that.)

On 5/22/2023 at 6:46 PM, Mike23Ua said:

IMG_5751.thumb.jpeg.d93290b9ba26dd1949b991ddbecb5332.jpeg

Having a mob that can hover above the ground when you ride it would allow you to fly over walls, avoid enemy attacks that target the ground (such as Klaus Gem Deer or Antlion damage) You could also fly over the dark abyss down in caves, I mean there’s a lot of new gameplay that would open up If we had a hovering mount..

This would be absolutely amazing, although I'm not sure how could they balance it out so it doesn't break most of the game.

13 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

a Varg deals more damage than an ornery beef

Varg default damage is 50, the same as ornery, only different is 1800 hp vs 1000 hp.

I think the difficult in taming a creature constantly target and try to attack you is worth the 800 hp bonus.

The next character could be a beastmaster who specializes in taming and handling animals. Then they could also change the hunting minigame and make it crazy good like RWYS where you can have a chill experience or a try-hard, optimized experience and you get proportionally rewarded. Getting rare and useful hunts would depend on your hunting skill and not some lame chance/roll of the die whose only purpose is ostensibly to punish late-game koalaphant hunters or reward the more niche bounties like a varg for a hound farm or steel wool for a war saddle.

Then the better animals could (among other things) be tamed. Some could be ridden. Others could do other tasks. Like for example a pack mule (doesn’t have to be a mule) that can be sent across the map to your teammates.

There could also be rewards for the beastmaster if he (or her) chooses to pen his beasts. Maybe their spirits could be summoned into battle (they astral project from their pens in the base…) like some sort of shadow apparitions.

This could also incentivize exploring multiple biomes since some animals might only be found in some of them. Like the Lunar Islands, the Ocean, or the Caves.

Aslo… if I were to redesign the game (with my non-existent programming skills) then I wouldn’t let cattle (beefalos) be tameable. I think a tameable animal should be a reward for a minigame like a hunt, and also that the species should be more appropriate/badass.

koalefant and gators seem like extremely obvious choices, and you could even squeeze in the spider queen exclusively for webber. 

Unfortunately updating mounts never seemed to be in klei's priorities ever. It's a shame since all the saddle items seem to imply it's not exclusive to beefalo.

Pudgy also always needed buffs.

Archived