How to play? No tutorial?

As a long-time fan of Klei games (ONI, Mark of the Ninja, Invisible), I've been on the fence on Don't Starve for years.  Decided to pick up Don't Starve Together to give it a try and there doesn't seem to be any tutorials or how-to-play when the game starts?  Or am I just missing it?  Or should I have started with Don't Starve first?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Neither game has a tutorial. The entire original idea of dont starve was that you were supposed to learn it by trying and failing countless times until you were ready for all the things that caused your demise earlier. Dont starve together I think kind of expects you to pick up a few things from other players but the die and learn approach still works at least for the basics.

But honestly you can just use the wiki like everyone else, if for nothing else at least to know what even is there to do because the game wont really give you any concrete goals.

17 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

As a long-time fan of Klei games (ONI, Mark of the Ninja, Invisible), I've been on the fence on Don't Starve for years.  Decided to pick up Don't Starve Together to give it a try and there doesn't seem to be any tutorials or how-to-play when the game starts?  Or am I just missing it?  Or should I have started with Don't Starve first?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Play with other people, The fun of DST is learn together, play together, starve together. 

Honestly, play the original DS first. Just base game with reign of giants, try to survive winter, and once you do you can move on to DST and keep on suffering there.

If you do not like the "no tutorial" game concept, there's a lot of stuff on the internet etc you can watch to take all fun out of the game.

I highly recommend playing the single player game- there are specific set pieces and story segments that pretty much walk you through most the game if you pay attention.

I learned the majority of my DS Knowledge from Solo DS’s Adventures Mode. I also recommend checking out the Xbox Achievements list for DST- While it won’t give you a step by step tutorial of what to do it WILL guide you to learn things like: You can tame Beefalo, befriend Pigmen, using sewing kits to repair stuff, Revive Dead Teammates, Etc..

This game has no tutorial by design. Because in the early stage of game testing the developers found out that setting goals would keep players away from the real game, the fun bit.

Just so you know, the survivors died a lot of time, and got revived, before Charlie came into power. So when you die, don't be ashamed of it, it's cannon.

The funnest aspect of Video Games has always been reading through hundreds or thousands of Wiki Pages riddled with Advertisements that somehow slow your internet connection heavily, and also disconnect DST from the internet, which requires a Game Restart. It's all part of a solid game immersion and a smooth user experience.

The second funnest aspect of Video Games has always been to consume hours and hours of Video Tutorials, most of which don't provide the specific information you're looking to learn.

The third funnest aspect of Video Games has always been to learn from dying, but the dying doesn't actually give you the information you're looking for. It's a great system. 

While the ideal is to learn by experience or with other players there's a lot of mechanics you can't learn organically. There are plenty of players who think they know what they're talking about and accidentally give out information that is wrong, only half correct, or give their take on how to survive and/or what to use based on their own skill level which can make beginning alot harder if you follow that advice so I recommend looking at the wiki and youtube videos if you want the least stressful dst learning experience. Personally I wouldn't start with don't starve to learn don't strave together unless your specifically interested in don't starve as there are some mechanical differences but it's a fun game in it's own right.

This isn't to shame anyone though even I've been guilty of some of the things previously mentioned.

When I recommend DST to someone, they usually ask me...

1. When I die, is there a chance I will learn how the game functions?
Hell yeah!
2. Do I get to research Wiki Pages to understand how the game functions?
Hell yeah!
3. Is there a chance I can learn how the game functions by watching video tutorials or talking to other players?
Hell yeah!

The game practically sells itself.

Feels worth noting that they said this in the most recent roadmap:

On 3/14/2023 at 4:43 PM, JoeW said:

The original Don’t Starve was designed around the idea of players being self directed. However multiplayer isn’t always compatible with this design and was largely why we resisted multiplayer for the original Don’t Starve. 

With DST, we have smoothed some of the rougher edges over time, but most of the focus has been on providing group based challenges up until more recently. We think there are still a few areas that we would like to see improved upon, and many, MANY of you have suggested the same. The areas that we are going to focus on in this roadmap are in early game discovery, and the late to end game loop.

Now - before you start getting worried, know that we understand that we’re stepping into some weird territory here. Our goal isn't to make the game easier, or even to make the game harder (overall). The goal is to make the game more interesting in the ways that those who love Don’t Starve and Don’t Starve Together will enjoy while also providing people who don’t know the game more opportunities to understand what the game expects of them.. 

But not all Don’t Starve Together players are the same. To some, DST is too easy, to some it’s too hard, and to others it “is what it is” and they don’t want it changed. Our goals here are to offer all players something interesting, fun and engaging and to improve the game in areas we think will have a lasting impact. This roadmap should result in a game that is easier to understand and harder to master.. 

On 3/14/2023 at 4:43 PM, JoeW said:

To that end we will be working on additions to the compendium and other elements of the game that will provide more information about what is happening, as well as progress indicators that help players see themselves grow through what they have learned in the game. 

Controls tutorial should be a must. New players don't know how to take single item so they get kicked for taking entire stacks, they also don't know how to auto-attack or attack neutral enemies.   

Controls are must but I think some stuff like how to survive while joining in winter/spring/summer is also worth separate tutorial segment. Joining in summer and picking up flowers to make whirly fan and pretty parasol then run under a trees in circles with the fan then switch to parasol isn't first thing that comes to mind for new player.  And can't change my mind here, public servers are super empty by summer, people just don't want to play then. In winter you can heat up real quick with burning trees for 70 seconds of warmth and much more with muffs you starts with but in summer you get about 5 seconds from the shade or pray you find a mined sinkhole to sit in caves until you're ready to get out.  

7 hours ago, Wonz said:

Controls tutorial should be a must. New players don't know how to take single item so they get kicked for taking entire stacks, they also don't know how to auto-attack or attack neutral enemies.   

Controls are must but I think some stuff like how to survive while joining in winter/spring/summer is also worth separate tutorial segment. Joining in summer and picking up flowers to make whirly fan and pretty parasol then run under a trees in circles with the fan then switch to parasol isn't first thing that comes to mind for new player.  And can't change my mind here, public servers are super empty by summer, people just don't want to play then. In winter you can heat up real quick with burning trees for 70 seconds of warmth and much more with muffs you starts with but in summer you get about 5 seconds from the shade or pray you find a mined sinkhole to sit in caves until you're ready to get out.  

Actually several newer gameplay mechanics have made summer much easier to deal with now, for starters… you can build a grass raft then intentionally miss time rowing an oar on it to cause yourself to become wet, sure the trade off is lost sanity and being wet.. but at least you have a cheap way to stay cool on hot summers!

54 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Actually several newer gameplay mechanics have made summer much easier to deal with now, for starters… you can build a grass raft then intentionally miss time rowing an oar on it to cause yourself to become wet, sure the trade off is lost sanity and being wet.. but at least you have a cheap way to stay cool on hot summers!

That doesn’t really have anything to do with their issue though - a new player isn’t going to instantly think of that if they join a summer world. (Though honestly I don’t think it’s  necessary for them to teach people how to survive when they join in the middle of a dangerous season, it’s probably not something that should be directly encouraged)

19 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Options being very few is one thing and some option being difficult to figure out as new player is another. Where are you gonna find grass in summer? It's all withered. To find it they will have to rely on luck to find a cave entrance that's already mined and finding second flint for a pickaxe would be yet another gamble, you can expect all flint around spawn gone so there's another gamble for bird bringing you one before you melt or hitting jackpot with meteor biome.  

They either need big luck or be babysat by others. Luck progression is the dumbest thing there is and babysitting is often considered "annoying/not my job"  

worth to mention this year kley has planned to release an update/updates focused on making the game more clear to understand showing more in game information. In their own words the goal with said changes is to make the game easy to learn but difficult to master.

Not saying by any means you shouldnt play and enjoy the game until said update drops, but you might want to wait till checking guides and experience the game raw.

Honestly in its current state going to this game blind is one of the best things you can get out of the experience, simply explore the map and if you are curious about a structure, an enemy, or simply wonder what that weird item does test it.

Actually.. one of the things Klei needs to convey more clearly to the player that the game currently conveys very poorly or not at all is weather resistance.

well to be more exact: That they need both a head slot item & a hand slot item to avoid the misery that is endless rainfall in Spring.

This information is something you more than most likely won’t figure out at all unless you look it up on a freaking Wiki Page or ask someone on these very forums.. 

The game needs to work on conveying Damage & Weather Resistances.

Hell I just learned the other day that apparently Armor does NOT Stack in this game (wearing a marble suit + a Helmet) this is completely freaking illogical because Protective Hat + Umbrella = Rain Resistance- well until you can get a boss loot drop anyway.

all this time I’ve been putting on both a Football Helm AND a Marble Suit when apparently… I’m just wasting Resources??

to make that even more complicated to convey to the player the newer Brightshade gear actually DOES provide Bonuses if you wear both the Helm & Armor (you get 8 extra damage on Brightshade Weapons) but this boost goes away if your not wearing the armor & Helmet.. ???????

Lastly even though taming a Beefalo will protect you from most damage because the Beefalo gets hit & not you.. SOME certain mobs while mounted will ignore attacking the Beefalo and Directly target the player mounted on top (such as Bishops and MacTusks..)

It is absolutely Impossible to play this game without looking things up online, but in doing that… you spoil the fun stuff you could’ve figured out.

And I don’t know what Klei’s “plan” is to make the game easier to learn, but harder to master.. but unless it covers some of the stuff above- Newbie players are still going to struggle & die until they look it up on Wikipages.

Archived