How to deal with the new meteorites (without blasting them and still have solar)

Note: This is for the case of destructive (metal) and tile-forming (slime) meteors both being present. My main planetoid on my current map has that. If you just have destructive or tile-forming, you can obviously do something a lot simpler. 

Note 2: As of Public Testing 559498 & 559761, miners can now mine through doors according to the patch notes. That will make this design obsolete. Thanks for the discussion anyways!

After numerous experiments and a lot of crashes in sandbox, I came up with the solution below.

The problem:

• Some Meteorites are very destructive and only bunker doors and bunker tiles are unaffected (e.g. the metal ones)
  • Some meteorites leave tiles that will not fall through doors (e.g. slimy leaves slime tiles on closed bunker doors)

Hence this means a traditional bunker door construction will not work as it will suffer from tile-buildup above and that will block light. On the plus side, wires and pipes seem unaffected, at least if you do not use lead (can melt) or sedimentary/sandstone (too soft).

So, what do to? A possible solution is to mine anything on the bunker door layer from above like this:

001.thumb.png.d6fda57ebc73c591875f0d8a278f3e6e.png

Miners are right at the space limit. The vertical distance is maximal. Can probably be reduced, but meteor buildup needs to be avoided or the robo-miners may get damaged from explosions being too close. The side-tiles protecting the miners are needed as some meteors come in flat enough to damage them otherwise. As this happened within 30 seconds of my first test, it is probably not a rare event. Cooling is liquid via the new conduction panel. 

Below the bunker door layer, you can use any kind of mining and solar set-up you like. The old designs should still work. 

Note: There is a self-cleaning effect and solid tiles do not simply continue to build up with this approach. It is important to put the miners at the space-limit so tiles cannot build up more than 2 layers above them for this to work well. See later in this thread for my observations. 

Please post any observations you have with this set-up and of course any improvements or better solutions. 

Update: This is self-cleaning, see discussion below. Just for easy reference, here is the complete set-up I use. You can expect something like 60% solar yield long-term would be my guess. Cooling pipes are just igneous, miners at the top are steel, rest is ordinary materials. 

full_setup.thumb.png.739848e1efda8e0bb6c2c1d4e7d49589.png

Note that this is not perfect. Tiles can still build up, but should also be removed partially by explosions. It may be a good idea to build this as high up as possible because then there are only two layers where tiles can form. This here is part of my set up after 250 cycles, sadly built 4 tiles below the space limit:

002_250_cycl.thumb.png.39d86feb5e4f0f8b84f3cee34bb30b95.png

Since I do not want to shift everything up, I am now trying with this variant below. Also added thermal isolation to prevent the miners from getting heated up by Regolith landing on top. 

try2.png.68861772b3befa8bb0aedcfe5097b4f4.png

38 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Well, looking at this, I think there is something really badly wrong with the new meteors. Something that needs a fundamental fix.

003.thumb.png.242efe79649c9bad268f37e201110654.png

Back in the base game we used to build robominers so they could dig each other out - maybe that's the way to go here? Build them closer or in a way that they can dig whats on top of the other miners in range?

Edit: I understand that some rare meteors come at an angle and can damage the miners from the side, which is why you have those walls and that probably limits their visibility. There might be other ways to go about this. Maybe even consider vertical bunker doors (can they be rotated??)

Here's a thought - bunker doors, heated up so it cooks into dirt then sand, then it will fall when the doors open? XD I don't think it will be the meta, but the thought of it is mildly entertaining.

14 minutes ago, mightybaz said:

Can robo-miners mine through doors?  I'm sure I've tried this in the past without success.

They cannot. That is why I am doing it this way. I did test it out to see whether Klei had changes this, but they did not.

3 hours ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

Edit: I understand that some rare meteors come at an angle and can damage the miners from the side, which is why you have those walls and that probably limits their visibility. There might be other ways to go about this. Maybe even consider vertical bunker doors (can they be rotated??)

Not that rare. I had one robo-miner get damaged pretty much within 30 seconds of testing this. Vertical bunker doors to not help, as they block the robo-miners even when open. 

3 hours ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

Here's a thought - bunker doors, heated up so it cooks into dirt then sand, then it will fall when the doors open? XD I don't think it will be the meta, but the thought of it is mildly entertaining.

I did consider that as well. But they would only go for the lowest layer. What could work is a pipe-network to heat things up to cook all the dirt into sand. But if that turns out to be the only way to automatize this, then I think I will throw in the towel and just do my next colony without meteors. 

I think that the good folks at Klei either did not think this through or they have some solution I have not yet managed to find.

Anyways, thanks for the comments! 

Yyyyeaahhh I think the old fashioned bunker door setup only works on meteors that don't leave permanent tiles. But, I have found a solution that works for me – have dupes manually dig them out until I don't need the resources anymore, then install blasters. I'm pretty happy with how blasters work, but I really wish they'd drop the debris from the meteors. I haven't found a way to mod it though. :confusion:

ETA: Okay so, the best solution I've found is to install bunker doors to protect the solar panels, then manually dig out the mess after the shower is over before opening the doors. It's not *that* much to dig, way less compared to full regolith showers.

However, if there are no dupes on duty, the rocket platform will eventually become entombed. Robo miners and blasters both need power, and panels will be out of commission, so there needs to be a coal generator being fed by an autosweeper as a backup power to protect the rocket platform.

Despite all of that, I still like the challenge of the new meteors and it would be a bit sad if Klei made them all trivial to deal with. Perhaps the intention is to make us actually colonise the asteroids instead of coring them out and forgetting about them.

11 hours ago, Gurgel said:

What could work is a pipe-network to heat things up to cook all the dirt into sand. But if that turns out to be the only way to automatize this, then I think I will throw in the towel and just do my next colony without meteors. 

Why is it that bad? Could work as for me. Haven't tried yet though..

On 4/12/2023 at 10:30 AM, NikiHammerforce said:

Why is it that bad? Could work as for me. Haven't tried yet though..

Not bad, but I do not like high-temperature engineering very much. Personal preference. Its should definitely work and I have not ever seen any damage to the cooling pipe (which is out of range for dupe-repair). Hence pipes seem to be unaffected. 

That said, there seems to be a kind of self-cleaning happening. Maybe that is enough to keep things working reasonably well?

Cycle ca. 4700:

image.thumb.png.9f264e716acf586eeb78cdeff28bd869.png

Cycle ca. 4800:

image.thumb.png.92c5a18b96538ea37782f4fd28d735f9.png

Cycle ca. 5000. Ok, so there is definitely a real self-cleaning effect and stuff does not continue to build up. That may be the missing ingredient.

image.thumb.png.3c055b5149deb5f77ed4c7eec2e99c7c.png

Cycle ca. 5450. Yes, mostly self-cleaning. The large one on the right side of the 6th from the right would likely be gone now if I had used the design I originally proposed above (2 Bunker tiles height, right at the space limit). Will change to that now.

006_ca5450.thumb.png.cae50a1fb42ee4746ec2e4d37e41aaad.png

Cycle ca. 7000. Yes, not a problem after all:

gen3_7000.thumb.png.a4fd4e7e54c104de8d229b69d4ca0b85.png

On 4/12/2023 at 10:00 AM, MiniDeathStar said:

Despite all of that, I still like the challenge of the new meteors and it would be a bit sad if Klei made them all trivial to deal with. Perhaps the intention is to make us actually colonise the asteroids instead of coring them out and forgetting about them.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the challenge as well. I just got a bit frustrated there I think. And given a bit longer-term observations (see above), maybe stuff will actually not build up "in the air" because the metal meteors bomb it away again. 

One question: How to you automatize dupes digging out things? The old oil-well trick does not seem to be working anymore. Or do you have to do it manually? That would be surprising, as so far Klei did allow us to eventually automatize everything and that seems to imply the blaster and that means a supply chain across meteorites.

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

One question: How to you automatize dupes digging out things? The old oil-well trick does not seem to be working anymore. Or do you have to do it manually? That would be surprising, as so far Klei did allow us to eventually automatize everything and that seems to imply the blaster and that means a supply chain across meteorites.

Automated notifiers with pause when the space scanner changes from green to back to red (i.e. the shower is over). Then queue up dig commands.

The asteroid summary on the sidebar also gives "Entombed" notifications in red when there are entombed buildings, but that doesn't tell you that the meteors are over, so you have to pay more attention (and I'm very bad at that, haha).

Blasters are the only way to make it *fully* automatic. They even have a conveyor rail port so they can be fed shells from a payload opener. If Klei or a mod makes blasted meteors drop debris, a series of sweepies can collect those.

16 hours ago, MiniDeathStar said:

I haven't found a way to mod it though. 

I have the code for such a system done, I was planning on creating a laser-blastshot mod and that was the first component of that mod I was done with (But that mod is on ice for now)

Probably could release it later as a standalone mod

18 minutes ago, SGT_Imalas said:

I have the code for such a system done, I was planning on creating a laser-blastshot mod and that was the first component of that mod I was done with (But that mod is on ice for now)

Probably could release it later as a standalone mod

Oh hi, I use a lot of your mods! ❤️

I was looking at the meteor blaster code and it seems they just destroy the meteors and despawn them, so they don't have the opportunity to spawn debris. I think it can be modified to inspect what sort of meteor it is and spawn debris based on that (taking into account difficulty settings), but transpiling this with Harmony onto the original method is way too galaxy brained for me. Patching with postfix seems more doable, but I think postfix comes too late.

Edit: this will work for slime meteorites if you just leave the doors open.

Overlapping thermium robominers. There will always be at least one available to start the cleanup from one end.

1096146657_Capturadepantalla(272).thumb.png.c21262e774798bd0117a224282992d55.png

Pretty easy to keep them cool now with the new conduction panel.

image.png.c7b0cada8ba8300c0c9da46c1cabdf9d.png
image.png.c78ab6f824eab6701acc548be3127221.pngimage.png.65f70a12f1c36659dbdec1a284bcd224.png

Klei is making the Relogiths wait this Time. If the (Light) Radiation Level drops, we can regain our Relogiths.
I haven't fully developed yet. Duplicants just came to check if it happened. they are watching.  it's ok?

If you like this, let me develop it and share it here?
Presumably: (Memory Toogle, NOT Gate, XOR gate, Or Gate)

Update: 

I connected the signal coming from the update gates to the filter gate, it is set to 160 sec. logically it gives green after cleaning. I connected its output to A- AND Gate B- already radiation sensors. process signal goes to the loader. but still not exactly what I wanted. temperature is not enough.

It made more sense to go and get 5KG of Niobium and explore. Using nuclear liquid waste, heat glass element values are very good.
(sorry for translate)

Video:

On 4/15/2023 at 5:46 AM, HagenAizen said:

image.png.c7b0cada8ba8300c0c9da46c1cabdf9d.png
image.png.c78ab6f824eab6701acc548be3127221.pngimage.png.65f70a12f1c36659dbdec1a284bcd224.png

Klei is making the Relogiths wait this Time. If the (Light) Radiation Level drops, we can regain our Relogiths.
I haven't fully developed yet. Duplicants just came to check if it happened. they are watching.  it's ok?

If you like this, let me develop it and share it here?
Presumably: (Memory Toogle, NOT Gate, XOR gate, Or Gate)

Update: 

I connected the signal coming from the update gates to the filter gate, it is set to 160 sec. logically it gives green after cleaning. I connected its output to A- AND Gate B- already radiation sensors. process signal goes to the loader. but still not exactly what I wanted. temperature is not enough.

It made more sense to go and get 5KG of Niobium and explore. Using nuclear liquid waste, heat glass element values are very good.
(sorry for translate)

Video:

Noticed that the slime spells out "FUU."

On 4/12/2023 at 5:12 PM, Gurgel said:

Use crown moulding or ceiling lamps wherever you want your dupes to auto-dig. The dig task will be queued up for duplicants to work on, but they will never build it because the building location is invalid.

I have a theoretical idea that haven’t been tested. Excuse me if this failed.

Currently, the meteor-created blocks that don’t fall includes oxylite, slime (and its heated product), and refined phosphuros (from melted and resolidified phosphorite). Since oxylite turns into gas on its own, only the latter 2 are needed to be dealt with.

Thus, you can heat the bunker gate to 330+°C, so all slime turns to dirt, and finally to sand, which is affected by gravity and can be dealt with in a simple way. And as long as the background wall is absent, liquid phosphurous will vanish on its own, thus isuue sloved.

This method should probably allow you to use solar without blasting the meteors. However it costs a lot of energy and may even be undesired as it removes/transforms the solid product (if you need these resource by saying “without blasting them”).

Archived