Lunar Rifts shouldn't be a small danger to your world that only provides loot.

I find it pretty weird that late game content such as this is almost never a danger to the world, especially since for some reason the rift closes after a number of days? (why? hopefully it's not intended) I also find it pretty weird how it only spreads a little bit and then stops. Might sound crazy but I think that the rift should keep spreading at the very least until it reaches a biome's border, so it's not something to ignore, alongside that add a way to seal the rift which would temporarily stop all danger before another rift opening somewhere else.

Thanks.

Since there’s no way to deactivate the spawning of these rifts, this suggestion just sounds like a punishment for killing the Celestial Champion. It’s already a lot of effort to kill CC and now there’s a downside to doing so? I don’t think that this is a good idea.

I do agree that there should be more world-spanning dangers that can occur though.

1 minute ago, deemo_ said:

Since there’s no way to deactivate the spawning of these rifts, this suggestion just sounds like a punishment for killing the Celestial Champion. It’s already a lot of effort to kill CC and now there’s a downside to doing so? I don’t think that this is a good idea.

I do agree that there should be more world-spanning dangers that can occur though.

8 minutes ago, yourAnty said:

alongside that add a way to seal the rift

Yes, but sealing the rift is a temporary solution. You said that another rift will open somewhere else after a certain amount of time. Having to run around every so often and close/defeat these rifts to avoid worldwide danger sounds tedious and repetitive. I’d rather they stayed optional and hopefully become more rewarding than they currently are.

1 minute ago, deemo_ said:

Yes, but sealing the rift is a temporary solution. You said that another rift will open somewhere else after a certain amount of time. Having to run around every so often and close/defeat these rifts to avoid worldwide danger sounds tedious and repetitive. I’d rather they stayed optional and hopefully become more rewarding than they currently are.

They are fully optional yet you want them to be more rewarding (the loot stinks I get it but damn do I just want some dynamic danger in the world already)

You'd be already fully prepared for the rifts after celestial champion what's wrong with having actual late game dangers to your world? Especially after you have just obtained one of the best items in the game?

2 minutes ago, yourAnty said:

They are fully optional yet you want them to be more rewarding (the loot stinks I get it but damn do I just want some dynamic danger in the world already)

You'd be already fully prepared for the rifts after celestial champion what's wrong with having actual late game dangers to your world?Especially after you have just obtained one of the best items in the game?

I’d love some more late game dangers don’t get me wrong, but forcing players to close this rift every however many days to avoid catastrophe just sounds like another errand that will get boring and tedious after the first few times. I want it to be something I participate in because I want to do it, not because I have to.

6 minutes ago, yourAnty said:

Especially after you have just obtained one of the best items in the game?

I can’t play the beta but I can’t imagine the Celestial Crown is game-changingly useful against the rifts. I could absolutely be wrong though.

56 minutes ago, deemo_ said:

I’d love some more late game dangers don’t get me wrong, but forcing players to close this rift every however many days to avoid catastrophe just sounds like another errand that will get boring and tedious after the first few times. I want it to be something I participate in because I want to do it, not because I have to.

Then you might want to seal the rifts until it spawns in a biome that would mean it's not a danger to you anymore :) 

55 minutes ago, yourAnty said:

It shouldn't.

No lol. Most people who play a world past day 500-1k play it just for decoration purposes, moonstorms got a lot of backlash (rightfully so) for destroying structures and that was reverted. 

The rift won't keep spreading and it won't destroy bases, it's shocking honestly that one can imagine the community would like that. 

25 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

No lol. Most people who play a world past day 500-1k play it just for decoration purposes, moonstorms got a lot of backlash (rightfully so) for destroying structures and that was reverted. 

The rift won't keep spreading and it won't destroy bases, it's shocking honestly that one can imagine the community would like that. 

They can always make so it doesn't destroy bases :) 

1 hour ago, BeeClops said:

No that's mainly megabaser and I feel like there should be a middle ground it's really gonna suck if impactful changes can't happen to the world because megabaser exist. It's starting to feel like major content will always have tame effects so as to not disrupt the status quo no matter how much stronger we get as players.

Edit: Personally I feel like a good idea would be to make new crafts to protect your base from the effects of this to a certain point so that if it does spawn on a base the negative effects are minimal until we can deal with it.

39 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Edit: Personally I feel like a good idea would be to make new crafts to protect your base from the effects of this to a certain point so that if it does spawn on a base the negative effects are minimal until we can deal with it.

I'd be down with this since it would require some input from the player of safeproofing their builds.

Megabasers gonna cry when their precious world are getting corrupted with lunar plague, thats why.

Im quite surprised how much Klei takes from Terraria progression gaming, like more powerful gear after completing quests and boss and "bad" biomes that needs to be stopped or they will spread over the world

Rifts would be cooler if they also mutated other things in a radius. Like what if it mutated trees into lune trees, pigs into werepigs and such? They don't all have to be rewarding mobs. Rabbits could morph into moon rock rabbits, catcoons could have glowing eyes and go feral. I'd say if the idea is to picture the world is changing, at least make it legitimately change everything around it. Feels kinda off how it only mutates certain things while it ignores others

I feel it's not a necessarily a small danger because the invasion can possibly land on your farms and disable your grass/twig/berries completely. And those plants can be really annoying to deal with.

33 minutes ago, Dragonboooorn said:

Megabasers gonna cry when their precious world are getting corrupted with lunar plague, thats why.

From what I read on the forum, most of them turn the wildfire off. Nothing bad will happen to them if they had to toggle one more thing off.

36 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

Rifts would be cooler if they also mutated other things in a radius. Like what if it mutated trees into lune trees, pigs into werepigs and such? They don't all have to be rewarding mobs. Rabbits could morph into moon rock rabbits, catcoons could have glowing eyes and go feral. I'd say if the idea is to picture the world is changing, at least make it legitimately change everything around it. Feels kinda off how it only mutates certain things while it ignores others

I'd kill for this! Could even be a way to make shattered spider dens renewable this is the kind of changes I'd love go see the world undergo after such a huge milestone.

7 minutes ago, Evelo said:

Have moonstorms and rift stuff destroy bases but allow for a toggle in the server menu to disable that feature. Best of both worlds.

Wouldn't mind, we already have wildfires as a toggle in World Settings.

Stay with me on this concept, but uhh Moon Quay (an entire freaking island full of pirate monkeys, palm trees, unique creatures on it, etc..) was just randomly thrown into the ocean because Wagstaff opened up some Unnatural Portal that just plopped this island down in the ocean.

AKA What Rifts SHOULD do when opening over the very empty highly boring as hell Ocean of DST- When I literally FALL ASLEEP sailing from point of interest to point of interest, you know there’s something unfun, slow and boring there… Rifts could potentially solve that in addition to what they’re CURRENTLY designed to do (which seems to be unleash invading mobs from alternate realms into your world..) they could pull a full on MOON QUAY- dropping entire biomes out into the highly empty oceans from time to time with unique resources and mobs on them.

These “Rift Islands” as I will now call them from this point forward, could open a rift over the water dropping random uniquely themed landmasses to explore (again how Moon Quay just drops out an unnatural portal..)  these islands can either exist out there permanently if you choose them to, or they can get unique mechanics that make them disappear over time by either being sucked back into their rift, sinking into the ocean, etc.. 

Klei can even add a mechanic similar to a Grass Raft that shows the player the island is sinking and how long it has till it joins the ocean depths (allowing you to place a raft to escape when water starts seeping to the surface)

If the player opts to “keep” the island in their world they can do something such as “seal the rift” or it can be a WORLD GEN SETTING- Rifts = Temporary, Permanent Etc.

A “Rift Island” would function similar to how a bird lands in your path of trying to place a boat kit, AKA: The game checks to see if the area is empty enough to drop a Rift into the otherwise boring empty ocean.

Rift Islands aside- Rifts can also open up over already existing land masses as they do now in the BETA allowing mobs to invade from it.

The TL:DR- The unnatural portal that threw Moon Quay into our water, and these new “Rifts” are connected.

And that’s the direction I’d willingly pay Klei 40$ To See the game go in.

11 hours ago, yourAnty said:

I find it pretty weird that late game content such as this is almost never a danger to the world

It's funny because this event ATM is one of the most dangerous things to a world, and especially to megabasers.

If you do not know, the brightshade plants are not mutually exclusive to the portal. They will travel a huge distance to posses crops (to the point it's likely they will cross the entire map to do so), and farm crops are not the only ones they will possess (they can possess grass/twigs/berry bushes). These plants will endlessly take over, and the only way that's intended to temporarily close the rift is to kill these said plants, some of the most difficult non-boss enemies to kill in the game.

The only way you can really avoid these consequences that isn't changing world setting and/or killing the champion is to put all of your plants in the caves, where the brightshade plants don't spawn.

3 hours ago, Dragonboooorn said:

The opposite. I'll feel bad for killing an otherwise fun boss that'll irreversibly make life more annoying for everyone in the server for no worthwhile reward whatsoever.
And no, even if you buffed the new items, they'd still be such an irreversible, tedious damage to the world that people would rather not do CC at all (as if CK being so annoying didn't gatekeep it already, you get punished for no reason forever)

31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Stay with me on this concept, but uhh Moon Quay (an entire freaking island full of pirate monkeys, palm trees, unique creatures on it, etc..) was just randomly thrown into the ocean because Wagstaff opened up some Unnatural Portal that just plopped this island down in the ocean.

AKA What Rifts SHOULD do when opening over the very empty highly boring as hell Ocean of DST- When I literally FALL ASLEEP sailing from point of interest to point of interest, you know there’s something unfun, slow and boring there… Rifts could potentially solve that in addition to what they’re CURRENTLY designed to do (which seems to be unleash invading mobs from alternate realms into your world..) they could pull a full on MOON QUAY- dropping entire biomes out into the highly empty oceans from time to time with unique resources and mobs on them.

These “Rift Islands” as I will now call them from this point forward, could open a rift over the water dropping random uniquely themed landmasses to explore (again how Moon Quay just drops out an unnatural portal..)  these islands can either exist out there permanently if you choose them to, or they can get unique mechanics that make them disappear over time by either being sucked back into their rift, sinking into the ocean, etc.. 

Klei can even add a mechanic similar to a Grass Raft that shows the player the island is sinking and how long it has till it joins the ocean depths (allowing you to place a raft to escape when water starts seeping to the surface)

If the player opts to “keep” the island in their world they can do something such as “seal the rift” or it can be a WORLD GEN SETTING- Rifts = Temporary, Permanent Etc.

A “Rift Island” would function similar to how a bird lands in your path of trying to place a boat kit, AKA: The game checks to see if the area is empty enough to drop a Rift into the otherwise boring empty ocean.

Rift Islands aside- Rifts can also open up over already existing land masses as they do now in the BETA allowing mobs to invade from it.

The TL:DR- The unnatural portal that threw Moon Quay into our water, and these new “Rifts” are connected.

And that’s the direction I’d willingly pay Klei 40$ To See the game go in.

My issue is it becomes a another content island scenario like the lunar island take everything you want from it then never visit again which feels so wasteful. We as community need to be less afraid of change even more so since this change won't be forced apoun us.

22 minutes ago, Bearger Enjoyer said:

The opposite. I'll feel bad for killing an otherwise fun boss that'll irreversibly make life more annoying for everyone in the server for no worthwhile reward whatsoever.
And no, even if you buffed the new items, they'd still be such an irreversible, tedious damage to the world that people would rather not do CC at all (as if CK being so annoying didn't gatekeep it already, you get punished for no reason forever)

Some people myself included won't see it as a punishment but rather a reward some people like the idea of having survial on the mainland change in a more meaningful way after you've proven can handle harder challenges if anything I'm hoping kiel leans harder into hard post end boss content that makes lasting changes on the island.

Archived