The Dreadstone Suit & Helmet Are Good Armor, But It's Materials Are Not Reasonable to Acquire/Amass

The Dreadnaught Suit and Helmet are very nice on paper.

The Dreadnaught Suit is a Thulecite Suit but with 95% damage protection while the Dreadstone Helmet is a Thulecite crown but without the magic shield.

The fact that they can be made anywhere in the world without a crafting station is very enticing. 

Unfortunately, the materials are not easy to acquire/amass.

You need to go to the ruins to craft a Pick/Axe, then beat a boss that I'd say is about as difficult as Klaus, all so that you can only really make one piece of Thulecite Armor.

But if you were able to go to the ruins to get your Pick/Axe, you could have just instead gotten the Thulecite gear there and a lot more of them at that.

Even if the Dreadstone gear was your goal, you'd have to wait 20 days after each fight just so you can again make one piece of the armor. And if you don't want to wait 20 days, you could do dupe shenanigans with Con Amulets and Decon Stave, but again, if you're doing that, that means you were able to go the ruins, which means that the Thulecite gear was far more accessible and amassable.

So the TL;DR is, in this current iteration, although the armor is good, the resources needed to make it are too scarce, especially when compared to it's equivalent Thulecite gear.

I'm going to assume that the Dreadstone and Horror Fuel are something that will be explored more in the future based on the fact that the boss sounds like it bears some relationship to Charlie, but these are my thoughts on these armor pieces.

Just now, Theukon-dos said:

I'd say that the Daywalker is even easier than Klaus, sense it has a much simpler attack pattern, doesn't self-rez, or have that lunge.

Oddly enough, I just thought of the boss as a Klaus that was constantly doing it's lunge attack at you lol

3 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

I'd say that the Daywalker is even easier than Klaus, sense it has a much simpler attack pattern, doesn't self-rez, or have that lunge. Which makes it's position as a post-ruins boss even more baffling IMO.

Except it heals which is really aggravating.

4 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

Oddly enough, I just thought of the boss as a Klaus that was constantly doing it's lunge attack at you lol

Nah, Daywalker's pounce is waaaaay easier to dodge than Klaus' lunge. I'm still not sure how to do the latter reliably. 

1 minute ago, Evelo said:

Except it heals which is really aggravating.

It is, but it's also quite easy to cancel the heal from what I've seen. 

Regardless of boss difficulty discussion, I agree with the sentiment that something needs to change with the armor. It could be way more interesting than it currently is, and I just don't see anyone going out to get this armor other than for the sake of doing it. Dreadstone gear needs some interesting gimmicks. 

An obvious suggestion would be to make wilson able to transmute nightmare fuel to horror fuel, but it seems like klei left that out on purpose because of OP. What would your thoughts be on that?

16 minutes ago, kaTome said:

An obvious suggestion would be to make wilson able to transmute nightmare fuel to horror fuel, but it seems like klei left that out on purpose because of OP. What would your thoughts be on that?

I was more surprised that we could convert the hard to obtain Horror Fuel into 2 Nightmare fuel (why would anyone do this, idk).

I'm guessing Klei did it on purpose since maybe they don't want players to convert Nightmare Fuel into Dreadstone armor in the first few days, but it's even weirder imo that in order for that to happen in the first place, you'd have to beat AFW.

I say it's something that needs improvement since I personally don't really see a reason to even have that skill tree activated given how rare the materials are to obtain.

36 minutes ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

I already miss when Wolfgang could rush this boss cause of how simple it's attack pattern looks

Oh, I didn't even realize that was a thing. I only learnt that the beta was out yesterday.

The chest piece is a thulecite suit but 2x stronger & can be crafted anywhere. If it was able to be obtained in quantities anywhere remotely near thulecite suits the suits would be entirely obsolete.

I say if something would change then either the chest piece gets nerfed & materials made more abundant, or the hat gets buffed.

Maybe we'll get more sources of Dreadstone and Pure Horror in the future, hence why Daywalker drops so little?

Maybe a future update will add some sort of Nightmare Biome, where these resources will be plentiful, to the caves and Daywalker's role will be now just to deliver the blueprints

Silly 3:33 am thought, but... what if it worked like netherite from Minecraft?  

I mean, like corrupting the thulecite gear adding less Dreadstone and horror from what is needed to make pure gear of them. But it shouldn't be an improvement overall, it should be a similar item in quality, but with a different effect. The Dreadstone suit is already the opposite of the Thulecite suit, draining sanity instead of gaining it. The crown, instead of being defensive, could be offensive in some way. It could be like a chance for multiple aoe attacks (Abigail-like) to happen whenever you take damage.

Spoiler

Dreadstone Club pls

10 hours ago, Psychic Chicken said:

I think it's pretty likely that they will add new sources of the materials either throughout the beta or in future updates, that way the issue would be basically fixed. If it remains like this, that would be incredibly strange and underwhelming imo.

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Maybe we'll get more sources of Dreadstone and Pure Horror in the future, hence why Daywalker drops so little?

Maybe a future update will add some sort of Nightmare Biome, where these resources will be plentiful, to the caves and Daywalker's role will be now just to deliver the blueprints

but that would only mean that the daywalker will join CK in the list of bosses you do once and forget about them 

Agree this needs more tweaking. I suggest at least guaranteeing 8 crawling horrors for each fight so we can at least make 2 armor pieces every 20 days. Though that's still less than just farming thulecite for thulecite armor, given you can reset the ruins every 20 days too and make thulecite from dust moths. at least it would make the new armors a bit more enticing to get.

Also remove the pick/ axe requirement so it can officially be thulecite alternative for people who wont rush ruins.

6 hours ago, Szczuku said:

That is what I'm suspecting as well.

It does get slightly annoying though that sometimes they implement a thing that's cool but we the players have to wait several updates in order for it to then become feasible. It would be nice if it was feasible in the update it was implemented rather than having to wait a potential few months.

21 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

That is what I'm suspecting as well.

It does get slightly annoying though that sometimes they implement a thing that's cool but we the players have to wait several updates in order for it to then become feasible. It would be nice if it was feasible in the update it was implemented rather than having to wait a potential few months.

This is why I'm hopeful for their change in how they update, I'd much rather more developed ideas with a lot more features, uses and quirks than drip fed bits of cool content, even though that would mean longer wait between updates.

Archived