[Beta Update] - 537018

• Developer

Changes

• Adjusted lobby broadcast timings.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed Festive Palmcone Trees dropping more seeds than intended.
  • Fixed Festive Palmcone Trees not having a burnt base.
  • Fixed all Festive Trees being able to be decorated after being chopped down before it finished falling over.
  • Fixed Crustashine downward running animation duplicating antenna.

Notes to Modders

• SEAMLESSSWAP_CHARACTERLIST now properly functions for modded characters that are also put into this list. You can use this to make a character only accessible through the seamless player swapping functions through in game actions.

View full update

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Health 1

I might've missed it, but it doesn't seem that the removal of speed chopping/mining actions are among any of the patchnotes. 
This seems to be one of the minor but impactful changes and ought to be listed someplace.
Additionally I hope it could be considered being reverted since unless its breaking something major I'm unaware of, it feels pretty bad in practice.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, -Variant said:

I might've missed it, but it doesn't seem that the removal of speed chopping/mining actions are among any of the patchnotes. 
This seems to be one of the minor but impactful changes and ought to be listed someplace.
Additionally I hope it could be considered being reverted since unless its breaking something major I'm unaware of, it feels pretty bad in practice.

I agree that this is a patchnote-worthy change.

I'm fine with either speed as long as the speed is consistent between the spacebar and the mouse. The way it worked previously felt like the game was punishing you for using spacebar instead of the mouse, and by extension, punishing you for having a full inventory since you can't do actions with the mouse if an item's on your cursor.

One rather strange thing about the way the speed chopping works is that if you mouse over any of the HUD elements (such as the hotbar, the backpack inventory, the stat badges, the clock, or the crafting sidebar) while speed chopping, it changes to the slow chopping animation, and will continue the slow chopping even if you move the mouse away from the HUD element, requiring you to temporarily stop chopping if you want to go back to speed chopping. This is another speed inconsistency that I'd like to be fixed if speed chopping were to be reintroduced.

10 hours ago, -Variant said:

Much appreciated, thank yyoouu

On the topic of odd-looking animations, regarding your bug report here, baby beefalos still have their horn in an odd location; only the invisible legs were fixed.

14 hours ago, -Variant said:

Quick gifs of this in action, this being holding left mouse button. This is before the beta.
Chop2.gif.a1b69f753457bdc667422533f07c19f1.gif

Aaaannnddd this is after.
image.gif.8c39a7fabf0c223bb5e5fcba8e1a7681.gif

Again it's nothing dramatic, but it doesn't seem beneficial to remove either. Maybe they could be both equalized to the faster one, instead. Chopping is a chore so I'd appreciate it not being slower.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

In the game right now, if you click in a pickaxe in your inventory, drag it to a rock, and hold the left buttom, it will mine the rock even tho it is completly dark, in the beta it is not possible to mine rocks in the dark with this method ;-;

pls, if it is possible, dont remove this from the game:

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dois raios said:

In the game right now, if you click in a pickaxe in your inventory, drag it to a rock, and hold the left buttom, it will mine the rock even tho it is completly dark, in the beta it is not possible to mine rocks in the dark with this method ;-;

Aww I liked that.

Also I take it from the previous comments, they removed the faster chopping from holding your mouse? Is there a way the faster one could be the standard (for both normal characters as well as Woodie, since his chopping was faster too). Regular chopping feels so slow, and holding your mouse as Woodie felt so powerful lol

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

Is there a way the faster one could be the standard (for both normal characters as well as Woodie, since his chopping was faster too). Regular chopping feels so slow, and holding your mouse as Woodie felt so powerful lol

With the mouse, Woodie's chopping was so fast that the animation didn't fully play after the first couple swings; the part of the animation where the axe head becomes level with his head was skipped. I think it looked rather neat, like he was winding up before going into a frenzy.

5 hours ago, dois raios said:

You can still mine rocks in the dark, both with spacebar and with the mouse, but you need to re-equip the torch in between swings.

I was not aware that using the mouse to mine rocks without re-equipping the torch was a thing that could be done, but I agree that it would be nice to see re-added, as it makes sense that you'd be able to swing at a rock multiple times in the dark, since the rock's not moving and you already know where it is.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, -Variant said:

Quick gifs of this in action, this being holding left mouse button. This is before the beta.
Chop2.gif.a1b69f753457bdc667422533f07c19f1.gif

Aaaannnddd this is after.
image.gif.8c39a7fabf0c223bb5e5fcba8e1a7681.gif

Again it's nothing dramatic, but it doesn't seem beneficial to remove either. Maybe they could be both equalized to the faster one, instead. Chopping is a chore so I'd appreciate it not being slower.

Another toadstool buff

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2023 at 11:36 AM, -Variant said:

I recorded the audio on the non-beta branch and the rate is about 10 Mice-hold chops for 9 Spacebar chops.  In the beta both are equal to the space bar, so holding mouse is about 10% slower after the beta fixes are applied.  The variance in holding down mouse is decreased as well, tightening up randomness.
image.thumb.png.dbbb448a69360ab1531ae066382815a6.png

The blue lines are the time required for each chop sound effect to play, the pink is the speed gains Mouse got, the yellow the speed losses when compared to Spacebar.  The bottom takes the sum of the pink and subtracts the yellow to get the difference as green which is a double check on the extra chop timing window.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sanity 1