[Game Update] - 531266

3 minutes ago, Gerrent95 said:

Are those 3 like right underneath the shadow slots? I like it and it makes sense on my first read of it. I'm actually all for this one.

that i dont know how they will exactly fit. but in my imagination is 3 more underneath the shadow slots with "shadow particles" similar to shadow equip you are using or magician's tophat

i think Klei should Place Loyal merms, Normal merms, and Merm king, on force attack status, because you then i can use shadow prision near them with not getting them angry and wanting to kill you
because know holding F means attack, even when you are wurt and or using the mask and that dosent make sense

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, edulopes said:

i think Klei should Place Loyal merms, Normal merms, and Merm king, on force attack status, because you then i can use shadow prision near them with not getting them angry and wanting to kill you
because know holding F means attack, even when you are wurt and or using the mask and that dosent make sense

Personally to add to this I don't get why people who aren't the follower's leaders can even Force attack followers in the first place maybe there's some grief and potential I'm missing but seems like it would just be better to only allow the followers leaders to have any method of attacking them so long as they're not hostile.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soul7k said:

@Pig Princess @BB MarioniI dig the idea of separating the boxes....because of reasons. I'd take a hit to capacity for it. Wouldn't have to make a lock. Could just break the box and use the hat.

But one could still access shadow dimension through chester, and other Maxwell could build box and craft hat. The other player could be just trying to be more cooperative by placing box near the portal or something like that, yet every shadow dimension user would be affected.

So would I have to hide chester or check him as often as possible and kill if he appears to be in shadow form (potentially every day because of lunar grimoire)? And do I have to hammer all magician's boxes I see, destroy/hide all magician's hats I find as well? All of this is actually griefing, I don't want to do that, but seems like I would have to resort to this or not use mechanic at all.

Edited by Pig Princess
  • Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

3 hours ago, Master_NiX said:

Why cant I have this magnificent tail being available at all time?

Monster characters should have an option to make their skins take just the head slot. Most of their skins change them completely, but they're still naked.

Edited by DeadWhereX
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

3 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

But one could still access shadow dimension through chester, and other Maxwell could build box and craft hat. The other player could be just trying to be more cooperative by placing box near the portal or something like that, yet every shadow dimension user would be affected.

So would I have to hide chester or check him as often as possible and kill if he appears to be in shadow form (potentially every day because of lunar grimoire)? And do I have to hammer all magician's boxes I see, destroy/hide all magician's hats I find as well? All of this is actually griefing, I don't want to do that, but seems like I would have to resort to this or not use mechanic at all.

no if the shards were separated for each max youd only have to destroy your box

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Soul7k said:

no if the shards were separated for each max youd only have to destroy your box

Then I don't understand what you are suggesting. Do you mean that every Maxwell could have cap on one private net and automatically connect to it upon crafting shadow container? Right now shadow containers are not the real containers, they work like windows to shadow dimension storage space. That means right now even if all shadow containers are destroyed, content stays there (which is why you can no longer keep there irreplaceable items like eyebone and celestial orb in shadow chester). But if one crafts shadow container again, access is reestablished again. In circumstances like this how exactly hammering magician's box would help?

Edited by Pig Princess
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

Then I don't understand what you are suggesting. Do you mean that every Maxwell could have cap on one private net and automatically connect to it upon crafting shadow container? Right now shadow containers are not the real containers, they work like windows to shadow dimension storage space. That means right now even if all shadow containers are destroyed, content stays there (which is why you can no longer keep irreplaceable items like eyebone and celestial orb in shadow chester). But if one crafts shadow container again, access is reestablished again. In circumstances like this how exactly hammering magician's box would help?

I was simply saying each Max should have their own pocket dimension and shadow chester shouldn't be linked to anyone, but after consideration how it works right now is fine if you are playing with a friend/group.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soul7k said:

is fine if you are playing with a friend/group.

And this is why the current way it works is the problem. In order to meet friends one has to play with strangers for quite a while, and even after that one would need to either password lock friends-only server, or play on server where there are both friends and strangers. In other words, if one doesn't want to lock oneself/don't have friends to play with yet, interacting with strangers is necessity.

Real life friends could be not interested in DST, and there is nothing one can do about it if they tried the game and found it not interesting.

Edited by Pig Princess
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

What did you do with items you're afraid to lose before the shadow storage was introduced? DST never had private storage, regular chests can be stolen from, as well as your backpack if you need to wear something in the body slot, Woby's storage can be accessed by anyone, you don't even need to be Walter, and even your own inventory is not absolutely safe because it drops on death. The game is not designed with the thought of thieves in mind. I'm not saying private storage is bad, but if such an important feature is to be added to the game, it definitely shouldn't be locked behind a character, otherwise you would never see anyone besides Maxwell on public servers.

• Like 2

I noticed a few people missing the point of my suggestion. It's not so Maxwell has a private storage, as anyone can still access the magic boxes and shadow chester. It's so 6 Maxwell's don't carry the same "long range backpack". I believe Maxwell should be the only person to access the storage through magic hat, while everyone else accesses it through the magic box/ shadow chester. Having multiple Maxwell's on the same server (I know it doesn't happen a lot, but it can happen) means other players can access your magic hat using their magic hat, so theoretically it's like having 6 maxwells carrying their own "backpacks" but they all share the same 12 slots. With Woby for example, you would need to actually go near walter in order to access woby. Chests also need to be where the charcters are in order for them to access it. With the Magic hat, multiple maxwells will be able to "touch" your stuff from anywhere. 

I mentioned it would be fine if the case is only 2 people sharing long range access (1 maxwell magic hat and 1 other player carrying shadow chester), while everyone else needs to be in base to open the magic box. Having 1 storage for ALL maxwells in the server basically nullifies said perk of other maxwell's as the world would have said storage regardless if there's only 1 or 3 maxwell's in the world, meaning the other maxwell's basically add nothing to the team in terms of magic storage. 

Having separate storages for each maxwell, for exampe if there are 2 maxwells in the servver, essentially means 2 separate amgic boxes with 2 different sets of items that the entire team can benefit from. The main issue however, would be which storage chester would have access to. This is why I thought of a second suggestion of increasing the storage instead for each additional maxwell, but still sharing the same "dimension"

EDIT: Essentially, what we have right now is like 6 Walters sharing 1 Woby.

Edited by BB Marioni
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, ThymeSpirit said:

What did you do with items you're afraid to lose before the shadow storage was introduced?

Kept them in my inventory and/or hide in remote location (boat base, deep in the ruins/caves).

I don't see shadow storage solely as expansion of my inventory so I can carry more stuff. It's a mechanic primary goal of which is to transfer items between players across distances. Problem is that unlike giving items to players directly transferring stuff through shadow dimension has a possibility to fail due to not reaching destination. If instead of shadow dimension and shadow containers Maxwell had spell that would transfer selected items to selected person (as long as this person is in the same shard) I would be fine with that. That spell could have conditions like the following: in order to transfer items Maxwell should have casted this spell on person in question being physically near. If this person is not Maxwell, in order to receive items this person should stay near specific structure (let's say night light). Otherwise items are returned back to the one sending them. There are only 2 problems with this idea: if people in question never met in person, transferring is impossible; transferring is impossible between 2 non-Maxwells unlike with currently used shadow dimension mechanic.

50 minutes ago, ThymeSpirit said:

Woby's storage can be accessed by anyone

Only by people who are in close proximity to Walter and only if Walter doesn't ride Woby. And multiple Walters doesn't have to argue about contents of Woby each one uses

Edit: actually idea with non-storage structure could work. Maxwell could be the only one who can craft it, other players could use it if they are in proximity. Maxwell could be able to cast special spell as long as he unlocks it (from anywhere), and everyone else could use this spell while in proximity of special structure. One would need to select items in one's inventory and who to transfer to (if multiple targets are available), and if transferring fails, items should be returned to the one who sent them.

Edited by Pig Princess
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

Problem is that unlike giving items to players directly transferring stuff through shadow dimension has a possibility to fail due to not reaching destination.

I think the main "problem" is that DST is designed with the idea that all players will want to cooperate and share their resources, not steal or hide them in a remote stash. So I don't see Klei implementing anything that goes against that idea. If they ever wanted to rethink that approach, then again it would be a bad idea to lock these mechanics behind one character, essentially making him the only viable choice for public servers. For now, your best bet is to play on private servers with someone you trust enough (they don't need to be close friends with you), and in case you do play on a public server, don't get attached to the world and your progress in it too much.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ThymeSpirit said:

If they ever wanted to rethink that approach, then again it would be a bad idea to lock these mechanics behind one character, essentially making him the only viable choice for public servers.

But it would not make Maxwell the only viable choice. Yes, he would be able to transfer things across long distances, but it wouldn't be any more private than giving items to other player directly. It would be stronger, but because of generic reasons, not because of higher degree of privacy.

For now, your best bet is to play on private servers with someone you trust enough (they don't need to be close friends with you),

One needs dedicated server for that (if one cares about other people's convenience, which I do), and if host is personal PC machine always needs to be powered on. I don't think it's safe to leave powered on PC while I'm at work and nobody is at home. But I know about Nodecraft, seems like viable solution.

don't get attached to the world and your progress in it too much.

I generally don't get too attached to the world, but there is a difference between abandoning world as deliberate decision (once I'm bored of it) and somebody making my life unbearable on the server to the point me being forced to disconnect to keep my irl sanity.

Edited by Pig Princess

4 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

But it would not make Maxwell the only viable choice. Yes, he would be able to transfer things across long distances, but it wouldn't be any more private than giving items to other player directly. It would be stronger, but because of generic reasons, not because of higher degree of privacy.

Maybe it could be added in addition to his already existing mechanics, although I don't see them doing it so late (the update does live in a week).

6 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

I generally don't get too attached to the world, but there is a difference between abandoning world as deliberate decision (once I'm bored of it) and somebody making my life unbearable on the server to the point me being forced to disconnect to keep my irl sanity.

I understand that very well, it's the reason why I rarely play public servers nowadays, even if one of my friends is an admin and can spawn in anything that was stolen/destroyed. But this problem is systemic, it can't be fixed with just character abilities.

Overall I am satisfied with the current state of the rework, thanks for the effort you put into it klei.

I'd still like it to let you cancel the spellcasting animation a little earlier at the current point I don't feel clumsy anymore when casting spells, but 0.5/1 sec earlier might be perfect.

I would also like to remove or revise the aggro redirect mechanic for maxwell I think it doesn't fulfill its role and is just frustrating.

As mentioned before, the servants need to carry the area they are in like the players, I believe that not being able to move away from them goes against the idea of having them stationary.

23 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

That awkward moment when I agreed with suggestion before edit, but not after (or at least to much less extent).

I think that instead of adding more storage slots per Maxwell more interactive approach would be the one I described in following thread:

Reveal hidden contents

Brief summary of suggestion:

1. Maxwell should be able to separate his own shadow containers from "public" shadow dimension container, and he should be able to carry no more than 1 magician's hat at a time to avoid nearly infinite inventory.

Shadow chester should stay public. Magician's box should be accessible by anyone in proximity of the box regardless the net it belongs to.

2. Maxwell should be able to link any separated containers in proximity (via spell, for example) into one "net" that would behave the same as current one - "public" - does (just separate), and unlink if one wishes so.

This would give opportunity to multiple teams to not reduce their efficiency and would give another choice to people who want to cooperate, but don't want to make items in shared space free to steal (because of lack of knowledge of other players or due to ill intentions).

@V2C General changes to shadow inventory would be also nice: eyebone and other irreplaceable items should be allowed to be stored here, but destruction of last "window" to shadow dimension should make them drop on the ground much like it works for normal containers. Polly roger hat could get the same treatment (last I checked one could deconstruct hat while Polly is holding eyebone and eyebone would be gone forever).

I believe it is less complex and works well just separating the space from the maxwells having a connection only in what you built and choosing to make a connection with the shadow chester so that it is connected to the maxwell that made the connection (a new connection cancels the first one) since the only "problem" i see is all maxwells sharing the exact same space.

17 minutes ago, King Maxwell said:

I believe it is less complex and works well just separating the space from the maxwells having a connection only in what you built and choosing to make a connection with the shadow chester so that it is connected to the maxwell that made the connection (a new connection cancels the first one) since the only "problem" i see is all maxwells sharing the exact same space.

But then Maxwell wouldn't be able to use public net, and if 2 Maxwells would like to connect nets, one of them would have to hammer devices of the other, after which the other would loose connection to rebuilt devices from the rest of his hats/boxes. Not to mention that hammering and rebuilding often would lead to necessity to rebuild any structures nearby.

• Sanity 1