Make the Bone Helmet refuelable

On 11/8/2022 at 9:26 AM, Wenhelxing said:

Maxwell will heavily rely on the bone helmet since he would be constantly insane and in need of nightmare fuel. Since all the other fuelweaver drops are refuelable, why not give the bone helm its well deserved quality of life change by making it refuelable and not break at 0%? We've already gone so far with this rework after all. People have been begging for this change for ages since they don't want to constantly farm fuelweaver for bonehelms

No, I don't think they should.

Implying Maxwell will rely on a late game item, when there are earlier options that are easier to obtain is a massive lapse in thought. 

On 11/8/2022 at 9:28 PM, Wenhelxing said:

Bone helms are supposed to be end game gear, where you don't really need to worry about much anymore.

Here is the root of my disagreement with you. No, I would be against situation when after obtaining bone helm I wouldn't need to worry about much anymore. Keeping managing things is fun, at least for me, which includes multiple solutions to choose from all of which you apparently want to ignore.

Also this:

On 11/8/2022 at 9:28 PM, Wenhelxing said:

If you dislike it, feel free, but know that people out there would love this change.

Looks like you can't make sufficiently strong argument yourself (maybe you even feel it), and therefore you are resorting to "crowd" to back you up. But you know what? Not all people who have opinion on that matter are going to react to your post or post of your opponent simply because there are very few people who see this specific thread and are interested to even read it. Including the cases when people won't read it because they disagree with the very title of thread. Sample space of reacting in this thread people simply doesn't represent playerbase; it doesn't even represent whole forum community actually, since there are people not really interested in beta/who don't visit forum frequently enough to see and react immediately. So lets not try to gang up against anyone here and instead lets choose proper arguments. I for one disagree with you and only came to this thread because I saw 3 pages and it stayed up for a while, otherwise I wouldn't read it and react to any post here for obvious reason.

Moreover, numbers are not everything, plus people can change their opinion.

Back on topic again.

OP may want to choose thulecite crown if OP doesn't want to use any of multiple solutions present. I like that generally things in DST come at cost, being it extra resources, knowledge or mechanical skill and time spent on practicing something. This includes cases when player wants to keep simple one part at the cost of working more on another. Want less sanity food needed in Fuelweaver fight? You have to either kill another boss (BQ) or spend more armor in a fight. Want to deal more damage per second? Give away safety. Want safety and resources preserved? Be mentally prepared for longer fight and in some cases test your real life endurance. Want everything at once? Then trade off your real life time on practice and/or strategizing, and usually you'll get what you want.

Just like in real life, and I like it, it makes DS/T unique for me and one of the things that keeps me playing ever since I saw the game in 2016.

Enlightened crown is different from bone helmet as well (and I'm glad it is, difference keeps things fresh). Enlightened crown is not armor for which loosing durability is normal, it's more of a weapon and clothing combined with added bonus of being light source if managed properly. As weapon it's balanced by the fact that one needs to spend resources to keep using it: damage per second and total damage are just measured in sanity points of food in the vast majority of cases, so in a way it's similar to weapon with durability, but refuelable (and slowly regenerates durability up to certain relatively low point). As clothing it doesn't do much except for sanity restoration (but does it good, I admit), so crown not having durability is bonus for player who came all the way to CC and defeated it (which takes longer than Fuelweaver route), and also bonus from trading off other effects that could be achieved by head gear (weather protection, damage protection, etc.). 

Bone helmet, on the other hand, is armor, protects from insanity (especially now since bone helmet wearer doesn't auto attack shadows), has high durability and can be used as a tool to instantly drop sanity and reverse it, negate any enlightenment aura no matter how strong it is, to raise sanity quite fast as long as player kills shadows fast enough, and now Maxwell gets extra benefit from it (as well as Wickerbottom actually after her rework). I think there are more than enough things that are going on for bone helm to make it not gather dust in the chest, and niche of wastable armor is fulfilled by couple other things with variety of extra details (football helmet, eyemask, Been Queen Crown in certain conditions, plus there are options among body armor and shield, and even beefalo (for melee damage, can be "refueled" by veggie healing food and regenerates slowly over time)).

Again, I like that bone helmet doesn't make game trivial after obtaining it, I like things having upsides and downsides, that multiple similar on first glance things have different best use cases, that they complement and not rival each other usually, I like to work around limitations as long as there are not too many of them (and bone helm is fine in that regard, especially after latest hotfix with non-hostile shadows no longer being targeted by auto-attack). And I'm speaking from the point of someone who played on public servers as well, including those where quite a few people wanted FW drops.

52 minutes ago, WhackE said:

confused.png.03bef9fb86480bf8f9576b8ef96bdedd.png

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""QoL"''''''""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Of course it's going to raise quality of someone's life - someone, who refuses to learn the game and maybe would gain more enjoyment from different one, since challenge, learning, obstacles and tradeoff were always signature of DS/T, even if last few years it milded a bit (although now new players are lost in all the info, so I don't know about mildening, and it's still challenging enough for newbies). But this change would drop quality of my life for sure, since I enjoy mentioned above things.

On topic of refueling. Usually refueling makes object wastable, since refueling generally is quite cheap and is made with that exact goal in mind. However, if bone helm dropped, lets say, 4 fossils on deconstruction, and could be refueled only with fossils at a rate of 25% per fragment, I would be fine with that. Actually it could be even more interesting than current state. It by no means would become wastable armor (the thing OP wants and I disagree with), but it would allow to combine durability of multiple damaged bone helms into one item, and profit to very limited extent from deconstructing ones at very low durability at the cost of some deconstruction staff uses. If bone armor also dropped ~4 fossils on deconstruction, one could potentially convert durability of bone armor to bone helm to very limited extent if one would like to trade some bone armors (whole pieces, with no way to undo the thing or cheapen the cost) for extra bone helmets durability. And even if fossils were made renewable, as long as it's as hard and non-spammable as creating new volt goat herds, or creating thulecite from scratch not counting ruins reset (via dust moths), then it would remain to be balanced. Also currently worlds have very limited number of fossils, and there is no way to get more past mining stalagmites and cave spider dens, so initial supply is not enough to make bone helm wastable armor even if it was made refuelable with fossils.

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

when people want all the upsides without the downsides

I'll make my point clear: just because you think you don't need the change doesn't mean that other people don't want it. I've wanted to bone helm to be refuelable for a long time, and the maxwell reworked seemed only natural for the change. 

Archived