How do you feel about microtransactions in ONI?

On 10/17/2022 at 9:51 AM, SharraShimada said:

The game is still not 100% perfect. It may never be. Thats how it works, if the game is not made for you, and for you alone. 

If I think a change will be good for the game, I will suggest it. It is upto Klei, who probably have a much better understanding of game design than you and me, to decide what to do, if anything with those suggestions. The game is not made for me alone, in the same way it is not made for you.

It is clear to me, that you want nothing about this game to be changed. I can understand the wisdom in that opinion, but I cannot agree with it. Satisfaction when faced with possibility of greatness, is the road to mediocrity.

The way you reply to my posts, make me even less inclined to change my opinion. The only way you have any power over me ruining the game you love with bad suggestions is to convince me they are bad, in a tone I may hear. You have kept repeating the same argument to me, over and over, but you should recognized by now that I have considered it, and rejected it. Try something else.

On 10/16/2022 at 4:28 PM, Tranoze said:

my rocket mission dupe all need digging 3 (for actually doing stuff in other asteroid) and exosuit training(so they can actually walk or land without dieing). one need to be able to capture critter, one need to be able to research geyser, and one need to be able to construct conveyer rail and heavy watt wire. Im playing moonlet so all important resources are from other asteroid, which is why job requirement for those dupe are so high. 

What asteroid number it is? By that I mean, is it the third or the fourth asteroid you are colonizing?

1 hour ago, Magheat2009 said:

What asteroid number it is? By that I mean, is it the third or the fourth asteroid you are colonizing?

hmm i think im on seventh asteroid now. i already wiped out all 3 nearby asteroid, niobium asteroid, ocean asteroid and meteor shower asteroid. Now im cleaning 52B asteroid.
I plan to wipe clean all asteroid (dig everything, sweep everything, and tame all volcanoes)

To answer the question in topic - as long these are cosmetic I see no problem. I mean, game gets regular updates, for both DLC and base game. Is not the cheapest, but let's admit - devs are still working on it... and well, if they do another DLC, would mean updates for base game, for DLC1 and DLC2.
Outside of that they could abandon really cool game. Let's say, do DLC1, then DLC2, eventually DLC3 then silence forever... Not very cheerish scenario, huh?
So I guess it's sort of compromise. Like some extra stuff you can totally ignore, or buy if you wish. I think the most known to me singleplayer game that as doing something like this as The Sims, but they also had important things for gameplay in their store (which was annoying). I just hope Klei will not go that way.

1 hour ago, Tranoze said:

hmm i think im on seventh asteroid now

Assuming this was the colonization you were talking about I don't think your objection has much bearing on what I have suggested. By seventh asteroid, manufacturing tier 4 and tier 5 foods should not be considered a tall ask. To me the critical point is, whether or not you can get enough morale for your rocket dupes early game reasonably with the berbecue morale buff going down to +4 from +8.

2 minutes ago, Notecja said:

The Sims

Why am I not surprised that EA tried to milk Sims 4 even more?

On 10/15/2022 at 5:04 AM, Fleetfeet said:

It is possible that "microtransactions" is ultimately a bad path for ONI, but there are plenty of examples where the model is successful and not inherently toxic, allowing players to support a game they enjoy without NEEDING to. Obvious examples are most of your multiplayer competitive games, I.E. Fortnite, Dota, League, etc. It isn't necessary to read "microtransactions" and default to "EA" or "Mobile games" and while I understand that fear, I also find it kind of silly.

Ultimately I'm not at all worried about microtransactions, and feel like those who are are overreacting.

Exactly my thoughts on this matter.

On 10/13/2022 at 11:25 PM, ZombieDupe said:

focusing on things that, at this point in time, for the betterment of the game, do not matter in the slightest.

I kind of get what you are saying. However, I don't think blaming Klei for not working on balancing issues is fair. I am not a Klei megafan, but they have to be careful with every change the introduce. Klei faced a lot of heat for introduction of suit durability, food preservation balance and so on. Their hands are tied. Adding new things like the Dream Machine is much less risky and pushback inducing. Besides, there is genuine risk involved in balancing, which is ending up making things worse. The game cannot cater to everyone, and it is hard to estimate what the cost to benefit ration of a change might be in terms of overall player enjoyment. It is hard task in a game where some players are refusing to welcome even the slightest suggestion of change.

Knee-jerk reactions from the player base further blurs the signal as to if something is actually too hard, or if the players have simply not considered the situation properly.

The amount of crying which took place over food preservation nerf was both hilarious and painful to watch. It made me realize how precarious the job of fixing various aspects of this game is. Mistake happened when the bad balance was pushed out, now reverting that is a hard task indeed.

1 hour ago, Magheat2009 said:

Assuming this was the colonization you were talking about I don't think your objection has much bearing on what I have suggested. By seventh asteroid, manufacturing tier 4 and tier 5 foods should not be considered a tall ask. To me the critical point is, whether or not you can get enough morale for your rocket dupes early game reasonably with the berbecue morale buff going down to +4 from +8.

early game rocket food for me is well, preserved food like picked meal, not BBQ. I think with the added salt the play style might have to change little bit, so both you and i cant assume the balance needed for early game rocket food as i already played pass that using picked meal to asteroid have sleetwheat so that i can farm berrysludge, and now they add salt preserve, which change a lot to rocket food system.
To make sure the balance change is fair, you should try mess with the game file, change the food morale yourself, and playthough with it. Sometimes change sound ok on paper, but on actual implement, it is terrible. That is what dev will have to do if they wanna do a balance change, not just "this player see this stat little bit high, let lower it down..."

7 hours ago, Magheat2009 said:

You have kept repeating the same argument to me, over and over, but you should recognized by now that I have considered it, and rejected it. Try something else.

No friend, you did not understand. And thats the problem. I do not even try to make you change your opinion. I told you, how i see it. Of course you can present your ideas to the Devs. But i think, they have already considered all of this. They are not new to that business, and they already have other games. I dont think, they see any real potential for this with ONI, and so do i. But hey, feel free to do as you like. At least we live in a free world. 

Ah, and btw. Please stop searching for "tones" in written content. As i am not a native englisch speaker, i may write stuff in a way, you may find offensive or inappropriate in any other way. Thats not intentional. And you should always keep in mind, not everyone capable of using a language is familiar with the fine variations.

On 10/16/2022 at 3:19 PM, Sasza22 said:

I want to understand your point properly here. You want ONI updated but only to the point where the updates add to the gameplay. And you think with the DST model it will be updated beyond that point which adds nothing useful just wastes dev time which could be used on a sequel or another interesting game. Did i understand you right?

Personally i think ONI has enough potential to be expanded for a long while. The amount of ideas i`ve seen on the forums could fill the next 3-4 DLCs. Obviously at some point we will exhaust the possibilities but i think we are far enough from that to not be concerned about it yet. At some point it might deteriorate into a skin only cash grab but at that point most people will leave the game. It`s a niche game after all so they can`t just go for useless updates and hope it works. When people lose interest updates will stop and free the devpower for something else.

For now though i think the perspective of continous support is better than the game ending after the next dlc. And if they add something annoying there are always mods that can disable it. I can see an "good`ol times" mod in the future which makes the game play like it is now.

@Sasza22 that is sort of correct. With DST currently, it is a mix and match, but a lot of meandering to stretch out the improvement of the experience is present, or maybe even made worse when incentive is to make more money, in one form or another. I will say the latest big update for DST has so far been overall really positive, and if some additional changes were made to some of the content, it would probably be a good example of how to properly update the game.

ONI is more than likely to face a similar situation if it adapted DST's monetization model, though perhaps better so given what Klei has learned over the course of DST's development, its successes and pitfalls. I have mentioned some examples of approaches Klei could take to make money, and while yes, DLC is part of it, that's just the content potential. As I've specified before, there is more you can do with ONI to make it something truly special, in many ways it already is, but I'm afraid microtransactions will detract from it to at least some extent regardless, if present.

On 10/18/2022 at 7:54 AM, Notecja said:

To answer the question in topic - as long these are cosmetic I see no problem. I mean, game gets regular updates, for both DLC and base game. Is not the cheapest, but let's admit - devs are still working on it... and well, if they do another DLC, would mean updates for base game, for DLC1 and DLC2.
Outside of that they could abandon really cool game. Let's say, do DLC1, then DLC2, eventually DLC3 then silence forever... Not very cheerish scenario, huh?
So I guess it's sort of compromise. Like some extra stuff you can totally ignore, or buy if you wish. I think the most known to me singleplayer game that as doing something like this as The Sims, but they also had important things for gameplay in their store (which was annoying). I just hope Klei will not go that way.

As mentioned above this quote, I believe quite the opposite. If Klei were to make ONI the best game it could be more or less with the potential it can reach given the 3 or so DLCs, the game may not have continued hype from a dedicated fanbase (in my opinion, that's overall better for everyone involved) unless it became some sort of staple for whatever reason, like Minecraft (with involvement and push for educational involvement and well as merchandizing, I think there's reason to believe it very well could reach that to some level, making education more fun while still learning things, if not even better is a huge plus), but given that the nature of microtransactions would make it less of a game you can always have and boot up to enjoy for the experience it has any time in the far future, even if companies involved go down under, it is not the better option. Making a game a service is not just anti-consumer, it removes it from ever being a timeless product and for developers to keep making new and good games, .

Just pump money and time into something that is already a success for as long as you can until people lose interest? With MMOs there is more reason to take the approach anyway because of server cost and plethora of other reasons, maybe, but definitely not a single-player game. I know it is just cosmetics, but as mentioned before, it changes incentives for approach drastically, even if you can still boot up and play the game offline, future changes, if making the game worse, can't be easily overhauled on the developer end or reverted by player-base (and with the latter, would not be the standard experience anyway). And if the mentality is to keep developing the game because that's what makes money, not to make the content and get the money from the quality of the content you made, then move on to other, new games if there is nothing more of substance to add, then that is the worse scenario, and with the introduction of microtransactions for this game, that is very well where it may end up going.

Archived