Can we add some maternal instincts to tallbirbs that is not muder?

image.png.8d3d5e100288f06f2f0cbb2f807dc97e.png

"I MADE YOU AND I WILL UNMAKE YOU" - Tallbird, probably

Is there another form of population control possible with tallbirds?

Right now all mothers murder their children as soon as they spawn.

I feel that either:

1. tallbird eggs shouldn't hatch or something,
  2. or there should be a limit of 1-2 baby/teenage birds that never mature and are NOT attacked by the mother

While we are at the Tallbirb update, why not change this "feature" as well.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

This is most likely a bug in the first place. However I think it's absolutely hillarious and I think the concept of familities fighting amongst themselves should be kept in some form. It doesn't have to be immediate murder as soon as they see each other, that is a bit boring on its own. But perhaps a small/teen/tallbird getting angry at another one because it stole the food it was after or some such thing could be fun. Lots of things you could do, whatever happens, I just hope this cruel fighting between families stays in some way, :D.

The only thing that confuses me is that in order to reproduce and actually see this behavior, you have to leave the birds unloaded off-screen, and come to them when the little chicks are already teens. If you come too early, then mom will just kill the little chick, and this is strange, unnecessarily cruel, and doesn't even have a profit, because it's only one small morsel. Perhaps the golden mean would be to delete the aggression of tall birds to small chicks, but keep aggression to teens? That is, the mother will take care of the offspring while it's small, but as soon as they grows up, a fight can be something like a test, or just at this age the children will begin to seem like competitors for the territory. Thus, the battles with teen birds will remain and in some sense even become something more permanent, because the player will not be able to "spoil" the process by loading the screen with birds too early. Thus, the process of growing up will be something that players will be able to truly observe, as opposed to deliberate avoidance to give children time to grow up off-screen. By the way, another interesting feature may be that if you kill the mother when the chick is still small, it will try to get attached and follow someone else, the nearest mob or player, or something like that? I just think it would be an interesting little mechanic?

Just now, Lokena said:

The only thing that confuses me is that in order to reproduce and actually see this behavior, you have to leave the birds unloaded off-screen, and come to them when the little chicks are already teens. If you come too early, then mom will just kill the little chick, and this is strange, unnecessarily cruel, and doesn't even have a profit, because it's only one small morsel. Perhaps the golden mean would be to delete the aggression of tall birds to small chicks, but leave aggression to teens? That is, the mother will take care of the offspring while it's small, but as soon as they grows up, a fight can be something like a test, or just at this age the children will begin to seem like competitors for the territory. Thus, the battles with teen birds will remain and in some sense even become something more permanent, because the player will not be able to "spoil" the process by loading the screen with birds too early. Thus, the process of growing up will be something that players will be able to truly observe, as opposed to deliberate avoidance to give children time to grow up off-screen. By the way, another interesting feature may be that if you kill the mother when the chick is still small, it will try to get attached and follow someone else, the nearest mob or player, or something like that? I just think it would be an interesting little mechanic?

Yes YES YES! Everything about this concept is perfect.

Personally I wouldn't mind if it was kept but in a playful way.
Let them be able to raise/grow up but keep the fighting as "play fighting".
They have animations for awkwardly kneeling and peeking at things that're knee-high to them, it could be cute seeing them spar each other!

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

This is most likely a bug in the first place.

You're right, this is in their file:

--smallbirds that aren't companions are parented
            --to other tallbirds, so don't target them!

(Taken from tallbird.lua)

I'm pretty sure the intention was that tallbirds would attack any smallbird that isn't parented by themselves or another tallbird, but because smallbirds refresh who they count as a leader when they're reloaded, it erases that and makes the tallbird target them instantly.

Teenbirds are just plain written to attack tallbirds on sight. They won't attack their leader, but because they refresh leaders when they're reloaded, they will go after their tallbird parent instantly. They also lose every time unless there's more than one.

Here's where I say "I made a mod that fixes this" but I haven't updated it for the beta, so.

Archived