[Game Update] - Public Testing 524472

• Developer

Hi friends,

This is a patch for the public testing branch which includes some polish to the Spice Grinder and Somnium Synthesizer as well as some bug fixes introduced during public testing. Plug Slug morphs had some tuning changes too. Thank you for all the bug reports and feedback!

Changes and Improvements

• All versions
    • Added specific worldgen failure message for when story traits are unable to be placed.
    • Spice Grinder
      • Removed cracked seeds. Seeds remain as seeds even when their quantity is less than 1.0.
      • Moved Spice Grinder unlock to Food Repurposing tech
      • Changed the whole Spice Grinder body color so it now matches the selected spice.
      • Add “No spice selected” to Spice Grinder, and set animation states based on whether a spice is set.
    • Somnium Synthesizer
      • Updated the artwork for the Somnium Synthesizer’s first pop-up.
      • Additional power up/down animations for the brain tank.
      • Worldgen: Small modifications to Somnium Synthesizer POI
      • Increased Somnium Synthesizer light output. Light only shines when consuming Dream Journals and oxygen. 
      • Updated artwork for Pajama Cubby.
    • Updated story trait database entries to display their keepsake and "cover" image.
    • Updated Critter Flux-O-Matic art.
    • Chinese localizations updated.
  • Spaced Out! only
    • Removed Pyrite from Plug Slugs' diet.
    • Significantly increased Sponge Slug and Smog Slug inhaling capabilities.

Fixes

• All versions
    • Fixed Gulp Fish and Oxyfern not converting their respective elements.
    • Fixed issue with conduit packets bypassing exit vents.
    • Spice Grinder
      • Various fixes for Spice Grinder.
      • Spice grinder only spices a single food type at a time
      • Fix Spice Grinder meter updating correctly
      • Only display Spice Grinder storing status item on the ingredient storage
    • Restored "Spiced Food Only" toggle to Refrigerator.
    • Potential fix for navigation crash.
    • Gassy Moos can now be scanned with the Critter Flux-O-Matic.
    • Fixed Oxylite not being absorbed when dropping out of an Oxylite refinery. 
    • Fixing a bug that sometimes was crashing the game whenever a Duplicant without a suit uses the transit tube to escape to a safer zone.
  • Spaced Out! only
    • Fixed Plug Slug refined metal diet poop.

Known Issues

• Spaced Out!-style moonlet clusters are frequently unable to place story traits.

View full update

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Ninja 1

4 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Oxyferns work but there is another bug with them: Wild Oxyferns produce at full rate now

I just happened to still have the previous build running with some wild oxyferns when I was this reply, and while the oxygen output looks to be the same, it seems like the new build is slurping way more CO2:

image.thumb.png.81ac9ab6ff5d2dc7988947ac71b6980a.png

Thank you for the regular updates 

In the upcoming updates, I hope we can see more resource sinks or new objectives added to the game. With the recent update, we may get buffs for the dupes for a limited time. But, I can't find a reason why that would add more value to the gameplay. I never felt: "I wish I had more buffed dupes in any of my games so far.". Please also give us a reason to use this new feature.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, evilcat19xx said:

In the upcoming updates, I hope we can see more resource sinks or new objectives added to the game. 

I think we are going to get that. With "Spaced Out", the gross world-model is probably complete, but there is a lot of room for addition on a detail level. The current addition already goes into that direction with the "Story Traits", I think.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

10 hours ago, Primalflower said:

what happens if one does this...? Gassy moo morphs incoming?

I believe when you scan them you get +1 to the number of scanned species (you require 5 to start morphing). I wouldn't expect moo morph based on this change

32 minutes ago, Unfawkable said:

Anyone else feel like the spices buff isn't enough to bother with? I think being +5 would be more in line of cost to setup. Or at least for it to last a bit longer.

I haven't tried it in person and I don't know if the buffs are just placeholders, but on paper I will never bother with, say a +3 or even +5 to Rocketry. 

I think they should make the buffs broader, offering a +3 to all physical attributes (digging, strength, athletics, etc) or intellectual/skill attributes (research, decorating, operating, etc), with a few miscellaneous buffs like decreased spoilage or increased morale.  That would create incentive to make a variety of food to ensure everyone gets a buff without going so far as to make the effort of doing so too much hassle.

1 hour ago, goboking said:

I haven't tried it in person and I don't know if the buffs are just placeholders, but on paper I will never bother with, say a +3 or even +5 to Rocketry. 

I think they should make the buffs broader, offering a +3 to all physical attributes (digging, strength, athletics, etc) or intellectual/skill attributes (research, decorating, operating, etc), with a few miscellaneous buffs like decreased spoilage or increased morale.  That would create incentive to make a variety of food to ensure everyone gets a buff without going so far as to make the effort of doing so too much hassle.

The one for Piloting is always nice, there is only one skill that raises Piloting, and it's +2. Shorter trips between planets are great even for +3, but the rest yeah, tough to justify bothering with it for +5 even.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pether said:

I believe when you scan them you get +1 to the number of scanned species (you require 5 to start morphing). I wouldn't expect moo morph based on this change

A Moo Morph (Moorph?) would be nice though. Currently, Moos make no sense in the game. They provide... a power source, only on an otherwise useless world.

It's not surprising that they forgot to make the new device work with Moos, since the game design pretty much forgot about Moos as well. :)

Edited by Farsight
  • Sad 1