Practical rain rituals should require non season-specific ingredient instead of down feathers

51 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

It's a book that pretty much invalidates nearly all of 2 seasons mechanics it needing a season specific boss drop is more than fitting.

a thermal stone also invalidates 2 seasons. I can see the need for expensive ingredients but having content season locked is one of my biggest pet peeves

1 hour ago, Dextops said:

a thermal stone also invalidates 2 seasons. I can see the need for expensive ingredients but having content season locked is one of my biggest pet peeves

How is a thermal stone comparable to a item that turns off a mechanic? It's like comparing a axe to a dark sword in combat because you can kill with both.

I understand being annoyed by having content season locked but I feel it adds a sense of progression rather than the instant satisfaction a fair amount of content has.

Just now, Mysterious box said:

How is a thermal stone comparable to a item that turns off a mechanic? It's like comparing a axe to a dark sword in combat because you can kill with both.

one turns off rain which just stops rain and just that. Could be comparable to a thermal stone which removes over or underheating. It is an extremely fair comparison because they both make certain seasons extremely trivial except one requires a boss drop and the other requires stone flint and a pick axe.

Just now, Dextops said:

one turns off rain which just stops rain and just that. Could be comparable to a thermal stone which removes over or underheating. It is an extremely fair comparison because they both make certain seasons extremely trivial except one requires a boss drop and the other requires stone flint and a pick axe.

One turns off rain, frog rain, lightning, overheating, and wild fires.

1 minute ago, maxwell_winters said:

It's more than enough. And don't underestimate having a free head or body slot.  

I am not arguing that this book is bad cause it isn't but it isn't op and it doesn't deserve to be season locked. I farm a lot especially early game and i'd love to just call rain and not have to water it.

Just now, Dextops said:

I am not arguing that this book is bad cause it isn't but it isn't op and it doesn't deserve to be season locked. I farm a lot especially early game and i'd love to just call rain and not have to water it.

I'm not saying it's op but being op isn't the only reason to lock a item.

I'm not saying it's op but being op isn't the only reason to lock a item.

why should content ever be season locked. The most annoying part of the celestial champion questline is that i need to wait until summer because of a small easily fixable part of the quest.

4 minutes ago, Dextops said:

why should content ever be season locked. The most annoying part of the celestial champion questline is that i need to wait until summer because of a small easily fixable part of the quest.

Because what's the point of committing to a world if everything is instantly available what's even the point of not keeping it permanently autumn? Season locked content even annoys me from time to time but i know why it's like that.

3 minutes ago, Dextops said:

why should content ever be season locked.

It's a thing that has been in Don't Starve almost from the beginning. It's a way of progression where the game rewards you for surviving a certain number of days by giving you access to stronger items (Eyebrella, etc). 

Because what's the point of committing to a world if everything is instantly available what's even the point of not keeping it permanently autumn? Season locked content even annoys me from time to time but i know why it's like that.

The thing is whats the point of being skilled just for stuff to be time locked and having to wait before you can do more stuff. Time locked stuff just undermines people who can rush and are just annoying to people who really need something but need to wait 4ish hours to get it (not due to it takes a lot of time/effort to get everything but because you need to wait for a certain time window in which you have no control over)

Just now, maxwell_winters said:

It's a thing that has been in Don't Starve almost from the beginning. It's a way of progression where the game rewards you for surviving a certain number of days by giving you access to stronger items (Eyebrella, etc). 

The difference is those are small miniscule items and aren't part of a specific characters kit (and with the introduction of hostile flares your deerclops example falls more flat + the waiting time for these things are lessened and they also have alternatives such as rain coat)

7 minutes ago, Dextops said:

The thing is whats the point of being skilled just for stuff to be time locked and having to wait before you can do more stuff. Time locked stuff just undermines people who can rush and are just annoying to people who really need something but need to wait 4ish hours to get it (not due to it takes a lot of time/effort to get everything but because you need to wait for a certain time window in which you have no control over)

If it doesn't take effort to survive long enough to participate in content the. It feels like the implication is the game isn't hard enough. Like i get why your saying but in a sense it's like asking for the master sword at the starting village because your skilled enough to beat Gannon now.

1 minute ago, Mysterious box said:

If it doesn't take effort to survive long enough to participate in content the. It feels like the implication is the game isn't hard enough. Like i get why your saying but in a sense it's like asking for the master sword at the starting village because your skilled enough to beat Gannon now.

im saying it can undermine it and make it boring for someone who can do everything in a quick manor having to be forced to wait for a reason. I would not mind in the slightest if the recipe was changed i just don't want more season locked content so if i want to have it before 4 hours i have that option.

2 hours ago, Dextops said:

you are right, bearger, deerclops, moose goose, ice, pengulls, klaus, red and blue hounds, frog rains, wildfires, antlion, etc should be there since 1st autumn...

one of the reasons of summer sucking is that lacks of unique content and another reason why the game feels repetitive in long terms is because there arent any progression or changes with seasons or the world in general

idk why we have 4 seasons if they cant bring anything unique because those who want to have access to everything since day one without even touching world gen options, you can start in the season you want to rush what ever you wish (which funny enough was the solution some users gave to how klei ruinned monkey raids)

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

you are right, bearger, deerclops, moose goose, ice, pengulls, klaus, red and blue hounds, frog rains, wildfires, antlion, etc should be there since 1st autumn...

again these things are small and are not tied to a characters kit and don't have a long waiting time. Also a lot of the examples you mention really feel like you're just trying to bloat your examples out cause they make no sense. Frog rain???? wild fires????? that isn't content or items you're getting it's downsides to a season like ???????. pengulls also make no sense to why you're saying this nothing they drop is specific to them. Bearger is season locked and i don't like that but that one is understandable because noobs getting killed by bearger before they even know any kiting or anything would be a problem (though bearger being able to be called with hostile flares during autumn would be a change i like very much)

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

idk why we have 4 seasons if they cant bring anything unique for those who want to have access to everything since day one without even touching world gen options, you can start in the season you want to rush what ever you wish (which funny enough was the solution some users gave to how klei ruinned monkey raids)

I like to start in autumn do to farmings and various other reasons and i don't have to deal with problems from day 1 which can get annoying. Locking a character specific item isn't adding new content to a season its making it a waiting game for that season to come around. I am not against adding new content to seasons its just that this feels out of place and doesn't add anything enjoyable to the spring.

Change your season lengths to shortest or random and your complaints about how long it takes to reach a certain season will now all be solved. Or you know- before hosting your world toggle off all seasons except the one you want to start in and then after you get the seasonal item your after turn all the other seasons back on.

People seem to absolutely forget that as of one of Klei’s previous March QoLs that focused almost entirely on World Gen Options- you can now, and at any time: Exit your world, change a few settings On/Off and relaunch your world- even if your worlds existed for 10,000,000 Days & is a huge map wide mega base.

The only thing you CANT do is change these settings in Klei Official servers, which… Xbox has never had in the first place and therefor Klei never saw as being important enough to be the “core” DST experience. In fact- I would go so far as to say that if you play in Klei Official servers: Content SHOULD be Season/Quest locked and you join those worlds knowing & accepting the fact that your literally joining the Wild West- Anything goes… kill or be killed.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Change your season lengths to shortest or random and your complaints about how long it takes to reach a certain season will now all be solved. Or you know- before hosting your world toggle off all seasons except the one you want to start in and then after you get the seasonal item your after turn all the other seasons back on.

People seem to absolutely forget that as of one of Klei’s previous March QoLs that focused almost entirely on World Gen Options- you can now, and at any time: Exit your world, change a few settings On/Off and relaunch your world- even if your worlds existed for 10,000,000 Days & is a huge map wide mega base.

Nobody forgets about world gen options. They don't use them the way you often suggest because either a) they're not running the server so it's not an option, or b) abusing them like that feels kind of like cheating. At some point you might as well just console stuff in for yourself. Unless again, it's not your server, since Klei-operated servers are not the only servers you can play with other people on.

I don't really feel like the book being gated by a season is that big a deal, but if one does, "just abuse season controls 5head" is a non-solution because it doesn't actually fix the problem.

1 hour ago, Dextops said:

again these things are small and are not tied to a characters kit and don't have a long waiting time.

Warning. This is gonna be a controversial take. 

I was recently thinking about the boss drops and seasonal drops in character-specific crafts. And then I realized "If there are a lot of general survival items locked behind seasons and bosses, why should character-specific crafts be any different?"

The way it works in my head is that survivors explore the Constant and figure out how to use items to their advantage. For example, survivors killed The Bee Queen and figured out that they can make Jellybeans with Royal Jelly. But WX also realized that they can use it to their personal advantage. Or how everyone else only uses dawn feather for Weather Pains and fans but Wicker figured out she can also harness the power of rain control from them. Why should they abandon the idea of using these powers only because it requires a boss drop?

So the question is "Why another method of progression should be applied to character-specific items?". I personally think it's good that characters have personal progression with powerful luxury items they can use in the late game. This sets up unique long-term goals for them. Wanda already has this with  teleportation watches. WX already has it with Beanbooster circuit. I think if more characters had something similar, we wouldn't have complaints like "W has no late game". I'm not saying that every character-specific craft should require a boss drop or a late game item but 1 or 2 definitely won't hurt. 

3 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

Warning. This is gonna be a controversial take. 

I was recently thinking about the boss drops and seasonal drops in character-specific crafts. And then I realized "If there are a lot of general survival items locked behind seasons and bosses, why should character-specific crafts be any different?"

The way it works in my head is that survivors explore the Constant and figure out how to use items to their advantage. For example, survivors killed The Bee Queen and figured out that they can make Jellybeans with Royal Jelly. But WX also realized that they can use it to their personal advantage. Or how everyone else only uses dawn feather for Weather Pains and fans but Wicker figured out she can also harness the power of rain control from them. Why should they abandon the idea of using these powers only because it requires a boss drop?

So the question is "Why another method of progression should be applied to character-specific items?". I personally think it's good that characters have personal progression with powerful luxury items they can use in the late game. This sets up unique long-term goals for them. Wanda already has this with  teleportation watches. WX already has it with Beanbooster circuit. I think if more characters had something similar, we wouldn't have complaints like "W has no late game". I'm not saying that every character-specific craft should require a boss drop or a late game item but 1 or 2 definitely won't hurt. 

Your example of wx makes no sense because beequeen is not time locked and can be killed day 2 if you want to. The problem is not that its locked behind a boss its that the boss takes hours to spawn and you can't control that in any way. People dislike that wanda's teleportation is locked behind walrus's (and a luck factor that comes along with it) so i don't see why wicker is an exception.

11 minutes ago, Dextops said:

People dislike that wanda's teleportation is locked behind walrus's (and a luck factor that comes along with it) so i don't see why wicker is an exception.

Are those the same people who want to kill CC by day 12 and never come back to that world? 

Locking teleportation behind RNG and winter annoys me from time to time but I can understand the reasoning behind it. 

I like down feathers, its very reliable to get (there are usually a lot of meese/geese around the world on default settings, so it's not like you have to fight with other players to get 2 feathers) and prevents early game griefing. I'm not against making it the spittlefish, it has advantages like being available all year round even if you late joined or made a summer start to rush celestial, but in my personal experience getting those fish is more annoying than just waiting for spring and killing a moose goose (or the goslings). But that's more of a personal preference.

I really don't like the idea of making it the malbatross feathers. Malbatross is a horribly unreliable boss, and despite hitting all the right shoals you may not get it when you need it/you may waste a ton of time trying to spawn it. As a matter of fact a lot of "every boss in one year" runs were unsuccessful just because of how awfully unreliable malbatross is. I know the chance %, you can still get unlucky with it and its not really that hard to waste a ton of time on it.

If it was up to me, I'd leave the formula as it is. The main problem was that some players would cause perma rain in the first Autumn, and now that has been succesfully prevented, without making the formula something ridiculous like an iridiscent gem.

1 minute ago, maxwell_winters said:

Are those the same people who want to kill CC by day 12 and never come back to this world? 

Locking teleportation behind RNG and winter annoys me from time to time but I can understand the reasoning behind it. 

Locking CC behind summer was an extremely stupid decision and it would be neglectable if the other stuff in the quest took that long but the problem is that it doesn't. Why should someone have to wait for hours on end because of a simple flower to spawn to kill a boss when they had every other part of the quest completed 3 hours earlier.

35 minutes ago, Dextops said:

Locking CC behind summer was an extremely stupid decision and it would be neglectable if the other stuff in the quest took that long but the problem is that it doesn't. Why should someone have to wait for hours on end because of a simple flower to spawn to kill a boss when they had every other part of the quest completed 3 hours earlier.

Immersion and personally I feel it adds to the weight of the quest.

Archived