[Suggestion] Suggestions for the limitation of explosives

In the Game Update 516976, a limitation has been added to explosives:

On 7/28/2022 at 11:27 AM, JesseB_Klei said:

Explosives will stop applying work after hitting 20 unique inventory items to reduce server strain.

Unfortunately, I normally obtain broken shells by destroying shell bells with gunpowder. Since the shell bells are non-stackable, I will get only 20 broken shells from an explosion which is inconvenient and expensive after this update. :wilson_cry:

So, I post my suggestions here:

Suggestion 1. Just reduce the limitation directly: explosives will stop applying work after hitting 30/40/50 unique inventory items.

Suggestion 2. Add several options in World Settings for this limitation:
    a. Influence 20 unique inventory items (default)
    b. Influence 40 unique inventory items
    c. Unlimited

Like this:

20220730110933_2.thumb.jpg.55c1a71a5ac9b4328e1ec67e4d51b4d2.jpg

I hope my suggestions will not influence the balance of DST. :wilson_blush:

I haven't played DST in some time - but isn't slurtle slime a cheap and easily farmable source of explosives? I don't think it would be unreasonable to put control over this in world settings, though!

Wouldn't stacking shell bells be a easier solution? I didn't even know that shell bells didn't stack, weird actually, there's almost no reason for that as they are almost fully decorative, is there?

26 minutes ago, xhyom said:

Wouldn't stacking shell bells be a easier solution? I didn't even know that shell bells didn't stack, weird actually, there's almost no reason for that as they are almost fully decorative, is there?

I think they don't stack because you can set a different music note for each bell.

• Developer
12 minutes ago, LitulLola said:

So does this mean we can no longer put stonefruit in multiple stacks of 20 and use 1 gunpowder to blow up several stacks at one time?

The changes from r516976 include the following notes.

• Stone Fruit will no longer require being dropped individually for explosives to crack open.
  • Explosives will stop applying work after hitting 20 unique inventory items to reduce server strain.

The limitations have been adjusted to promote using full stacks of items to explode rather than individual or parts of stacks. You will be able to use a full stack of 40 stonefruit and have up to 20 of these fully stacked items break open at once. Dropping 30 single stonefruits will result in 20 of them breaking open.

I've been using the Weather Pain to break tons of thing for a while now, I think that would be a pretty cheap and super efficient method since you'll just need one use basically.

I think cannons might work too ? (but I haven't tried)

1 hour ago, JesseB_Klei said:

The limitations have been adjusted to promote using full stacks of items to explode rather than individual or parts of stacks. You will be able to use a full stack of 40 stonefruit and have up to 20 of these fully stacked items break open at once. Dropping 30 single stonefruits will result in 20 of them breaking open

I have a question.

Given that explosives now make the items auto-stack, was it still necessary for their to be a limit, since the source of the performance issues was the amount of entities that would spawn from b/c auto-stacking wasn't a thing?

I say this cause using Weather Pains does cause the performance issues since those items don't auto-stack while using gunpowder on the same amount of items don't cause said issue, at least for my setup. 

It was also the fire that then follow to burn all the unstacked stone fruit that would then destroy pcs too, no?

• Developer
2 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

I have a question.

Given that explosives now make the items auto-stack, was it still necessary for their to be a limit, since the source of the performance issues was the amount of entities that would spawn from b/c auto-stacking wasn't a thing?

I say this cause using Weather Pains does cause the performance issues since those items don't auto-stack while using gunpowder on the same amount of items don't cause said issue, at least for my setup. 

A player could still drop them all individually and explode them at once if the limit did not exist. It is one thing to incentivize but another for it to be adhered to. I will take a look at weather pains when I can to get those fixed up in a way that does not break the intent of the item.

Archived