Recipe for Bookcase

Currently as it stands, the bookcase costs 4 boards, 1 feather pencil, 4 gold, and 4 papyrus. The 4 gold REALLY stands out to me. It feels like a token to all DST recipes at this point. If somethings good/useful; it must have gold! This only really bothers me here because it's another new recipe that breaks the 3 ingredient standard in days of yore, but also because the design of the bookshelf has absolutely no hint of gold in it! What is it being used for? hardware? No. It's so arbitrary. 78731323_ScreenShot2022-07-17at4_03_41AM.thumb.png.9a23b57f9e8571fd51a727e817fdf26f.png

And to be clear: I don't have qualms with the accessibility of the recipe. I mean it's not something you'd be able to craft on day 1 which I think makes sense considering it's pretty powerful, being able to recharge your books. But the gold should either be removed or replaced with something more sensible. Or (and this might be a stretch) Replace the board and gold cost with 3 living logs. It feels like it must be imbued with some kind of magic after all, it does hold spell books. Or keep the boards, replace the gold with 4 nightmare fuel.

I'm curious, what do other people think? Are you also sick of the obligatory gold in all crafting recipes?

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 4.04.02 AM.png

I think it would be funny to replace the gold cost with silk, since it has that little frilly decoration on the desk. Like she refuses to make the bookcase at all unless it can have the little circle. 

The gold is probably there because its a crafting station. It let's you unlock some books when standing near it similar to how the science machine and alchemy engine are both crafting stations 

1 minute ago, Ornge said:

The gold is probably there because its a crafting station. It let's you unlock some books when standing near it similar to how the science machine and alchemy engine are both crafting stations 

That doesn't cut it for me- Think tank, Prestihatitator, Shadow manipulator, Terra Firma Tamper, and Potter's Wheel are all crafting stations and they don't require gold.

15 hours ago, dzzydzzy said:

This only really bothers me here because it's another new recipe that breaks the 3 ingredient standard in days of yore

That time has passed. Besides, if you really get down to it; even crafting recipes like alchemy engine are 4 ingredient recipes, that being boards, cut-stone, gold, and rocks. The doodads were just a way of making the crafting recipe smaller.

15 hours ago, dzzydzzy said:

But the gold should either be removed or replaced with something more sensible.

You could think of the gold as being embossing on the shelf itself. Maybe the sprite could be updated to reflect this.

I like the idea of replacing the boards with living-logs in the recipe.

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I think it would be funny to replace the gold cost with silk, since it has that little frilly decoration on the desk. Like she refuses to make the bookcase at all unless it can have the little circle. 

1099665178_ScreenShot2022-07-17at12_14_42PM.thumb.png.faf6e440da1d640958ba259e94e479d2.png

Apparently, that's what it's called.

50 minutes ago, Castaccio said:

1099665178_ScreenShot2022-07-17at12_14_42PM.thumb.png.faf6e440da1d640958ba259e94e479d2.png

Apparently, that's what it's called.

My first guess would have been "old people s---". Never seen that in anyone's house if they're under 60 but it is a scientific fact that everyone over 60 is guaranteed to have at least one. 

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

This is the best idea. 

Mechanically gold and silk are comparable in terms of effort to acquire, especially early game. They should definitely replace it with silk. 

2 hours ago, YouKnowWho said:

Just learned this now thanks to a lovely video by Cat Person, but I think the gold requirement is to make it somewhat equivalent to the alchemy engine as the bookcase kind of acts as a replacement for it. In case you didn't know, the bookcase allows all survivors to research tier 2 science. 

Didn't realize this. But I must ask, why is this even a thing? is there really gonna be a situation where a base in a multiplayer world would spare construction of an alchemy engine for the bookcase? Especially if the wicker doesn't prioritize obtaining the reeds/ feather pencil, its gonna be a long wait. Plus Alchemy is such a staple in the meta of gameplay, I don't think this will replace that at all, so why give it this additional function?

It does plenty already!

11 minutes ago, dzzydzzy said:

Plus Alchemy is such a staple in the meta of gameplay, I don't think this will replace that at all, so why give it this additional function?

Not for wickerbottom herself. For the longest time the only thing she needed to build an alch for was On Tentacles, until the introduction of Silviculture. Both have now been moved to the bookcase. Leaving on tentacles etc on the alchemy engine while she has her own station wouldve been silly.  Its an elegant solution and differentiates her gameplay while emphasising how knowledgeable she is.

all the other survivors have to craft wilson’s science machine for T1 which Wickerbottom already knows out of the gate. And then instead of relying on wilson’s alch she has her own knowledge station which is more advanced. 

4 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Not for wickerbottom herself. For the longest time the only thing she needed to build an alch for was On Tentacles, until the introduction of Silviculture. Both have now been moved to the bookcase. Leaving on tentacles etc on the alchemy engine while she has her own station wouldve been silly.  Its an elegant solution and differentiates her gameplay while emphasising how knowledgeable she is.

all the other survivors have to craft wilson’s science machine for T1 which Wickerbottom already knows out of the gate. And then instead of relying on wilson’s alch she has her own knowledge station which is more advanced. 

Well obviously if you're playing solo Wicker you wouldn't bother with an alch engine, I never do. But I'm talking multiplayer which is what this secondary perk of the bookcase seems to be for; the other survivors who need those tier 2 science recipes.

Why would they wait for a wicker to build the more complicated and unique craft when there are precious football helmets, lanterns, gold tools to be made! They wouldn't, which is why they'd already be making an alchemy engine and therefore this bookcase perk is redundant.

5 minutes ago, dzzydzzy said:

Well obviously if you're playing solo Wicker you wouldn't bother with an alch engine, I never do. But I'm talking multiplayer which is what this secondary perk of the bookcase seems to be for; the other survivors who need those tier 2 science recipes.

You dont understand, if the bookcase wasnt a T2 science engine wicker would still have to make alchemy engine in order to craft On Tentacles and Silviculture. Its not about multiplayer 

22 minutes ago, Ohan said:

You dont understand, if the bookcase wasnt a T2 science engine wicker would still have to make alchemy engine in order to craft On Tentacles and Silviculture. Its not about multiplayer 

But with this new crafting system why wouldn't they just move the recipe to the bookcase like all the other books (besides the magic tier ones)? Why does everything else T2 get thrown in as well? And for all characters? that makes far less sense.

The materials have something in common - they are all available to Wickerbottom from the start due to her +1 tier to unlocked recipes. Other survivors cannot craft Feather Pencil, Boards or Papyrus without the use of a crafting station. Gold nuggets could be replaced with another item that only Wickerbottom has access since day 1 but I don't know what item would make sense

1 hour ago, Parusoid said:

The materials have something in common - they are all available to Wickerbottom from the start 

The only thing about this, is that I've been getting the jet feather for the feathered pencil via boomerang since it's faster than and cheaper than a birdcage, but the recipe for it is tier 2. So thats the only component in the recipe that would require science before being able to craft. 

Although one could use a bird trap, they're much slower, and require more silk and are slower to catch a bird that might drop meat instead of a feather.

19 hours ago, dzzydzzy said:

Why would they wait for a wicker to build the more complicated and unique craft when there are precious football helmets, lanterns, gold tools to be made! They wouldn't, which is why they'd already be making an alchemy engine and therefore this bookcase perk is redundant.

I can see it being useful in smp. People who want to rush alch things like helms and lanterns usually just make an alch on their own without relying on others to make it for them then for them to go and find where it is. Then later when they need things you don't rush alch for the bookcase would be there. The bookcase would also be there for anyone who joined after Wickerbottom.

Assuming people know the bookcase works like an alch. I bet they will make an alch anyways when they see there isn't one. 

19 hours ago, dzzydzzy said:

But with this new crafting system why wouldn't they just move the recipe to the bookcase like all the other books (besides the magic tier ones)? Why does everything else T2 get thrown in as well? And for all characters? that makes far less sense.

I like it this way. Lets wicker get those books without a bookcase if somebody already built alch but more importantly I think a repository of her knowledge should act as such for the other survivors. 

On 7/17/2022 at 4:12 AM, dzzydzzy said:

it's another new recipe that breaks the 3 ingredient standard in days of yore

This complaint is only going to become sillier as time goes on. The "3 ingredient standard" has been limiting for a long time and now we're getting tons of recipes that go outside of it, such a "standard" does not exist anymore.

Archived