Minimum needed for a dupe to survive

I want to make a skybox map, im not sure exactly how quite yet, but i want to know what you guys think is the MINIMUM needed for a duplicant to survive and grow. (Imagine a 12x12 surrounded by either vacuum or background tiles and nothing else (spaced out) I was thinking of having new “planets” be single creatures or a single volcano. 

the biggest roadblock is the early game where i need to provide the minimum for a single dupe to survive indefinitely without overproviding resources. E.g i could give a cool slush geyser for polluted oxygen and bristle berries but i am worried it would be too easy, an alternative would be brine which is water and salt and by extension sand. 

any reccomendations for:

default printables

Available geysers on starter or other planets

available critters

Would be greatly appreciated

its partially a think piece, partially a map i intend to make available for download.

Please give me ideas, more ideas is better.

Duplicants in essence only need food, oxygen and a temperature less than 37'c in liquids or 62'c(72'c? forgot) in gases to survive.

What that means is you can have a duplicant live (stand forever when not sleeping?) in a 2x1 space with a mesh tile floor to let out their pee and food and oxygen being dropped in thru a locked pneumatic door roof coming from wild farmed plants (Or what ever self making food design) and unfiltered polluted oxygen (conveyor rails etc).

Of cause the design is cruel but its pretty much the minimum size needed.

If your looking to let it be a little more humane but with minimal food/oxygen intact, then use https://oni-assistant.com/tools/foodcalculator

Chose your poison.

The same site also has geyser calculators, cooling calculators etc, you can design minimal or completely wasteful designs based on the data produced since duplicants have traits that affect their eating/breathing.

Geysers/vents have variable outputs so its sometimes producing a large amount in a short amount of time so it's necessary to make big tanks

In order to create indefinite sustainability without geysers, as well as the ability to conduct research, you essentially need an arbor tree and a pip (to make more arbor trees). Beyond that, a source of metal of some sort. You could turn on meteor showers for that. And enough starting resources that your dupes don't starve or suffocate while reaching sustainability. If you have enough metal to build a rocket platform, CO2 engine, and Solo Spacefarer, you can make copper ore by deconstructing the rocket control station then deconstructing the Solo Spacefarer. Slow process, but you can generate 100kg of copper ore indefinitely. At some point, a source of plastic for advanced research, but that can be obtainable from space somehow. Alternately, you could do a lot with a single salt slush geyser. And including a hatch is recommended with whatever approach you take.

I figured it out, and i dont need a geyser. Heres the basics:

morb = free polluted oxygen, if i let myself get a puft eventually that also means slime and by extension algae.

Ugly crier duplicant = water and polluted water, peeing themselves seems more efficient than using the restroom, plus they get stressed, stress goes in water comes out.

printing pod can give everything else needed, the problem quickly becomes a question of food, which im working on, i dont wanna just give myself the food, but mealwood is expensive and i dont want to trivialize the food issue. The printing pod will massively help though. 

Rust = Iron ore without needing to be discovered (thank goodness)

outhouse is better than a proper toilet, it allows me to make polluted dirt then i can turn the polluted dirt into more dirt than i started with.

i was gonna give myself a really small sandstone biome to start including: a hatch, a single wild planted mealwood, some muckroot, sand stone, small amount of copper ore, and dirt, and a bristle blossom seed

i’ll want to put critters on the nearby “planets” and it’ll be a slog but a lot of fun. I may just generate a game and use the planets generated biomes and traits to decide what critters are on what worlds. If it had a forest biome they’ll be a small box with a pip and an arbor acorn. Marsh will have a pacu in a tile of water or a puft etc etc. It’ll be a lot of fun!

9 hours ago, Ntr1cate said:

Duplicants in essence only need food, oxygen and a temperature less than 37'c in liquids or 62'c(72'c? forgot) in gases to survive.What that means is you can have a duplicant live (stand forever when not sleeping?) in a 2x1 space with a mesh tile floor to let out their pee and food and oxygen being dropped in thru a locked pneumatic door roof coming from wild farmed plants

Also big thanks to you for inspiring my current idea for a dupe geyser (nasty geyser?) basically instead of standing on a pneumatic door, instead they stand in a puddle of their own… excrement, with a 2 tile gap on the side into a chute with a pneumatic door at the bottom. This forces the food into food poisoning covered germs, tripling polluted water gains, and the depressing situation will cause them to stress break repeatedly, which could be used for either the vomit or the tears stess reaction to either produce more polluted water or clean water as well. Its possibly entirely self sustaining with the water offgassing enough oxygen, and the chute disposing of the carbon dioxide as well. 

13 hours ago, Ntr1cate said:

Duplicants in essence only need food, oxygen and a temperature less than 37'c in liquids or 62'c(72'c? forgot) in gases to survive.

What that means is you can have a duplicant live (stand forever when not sleeping?) in a 2x1 space with a mesh tile floor to let out their pee and food and oxygen being dropped in thru a locked pneumatic door roof coming from wild farmed plants (Or what ever self making food design) and unfiltered polluted oxygen (conveyor rails etc).

I have done that and can confirm it works long-term:

On 7/10/2022 at 10:38 AM, Occam Blazer said:

There are a few single-dupe minimal base designs over here

Oohhh a whole thread, i like the ideas, a base like yours would definitely be a long term goal, but my idea is that i start in like a 10x10 basically cutting the rest of the map out and relying on the portal for more materials and surviving with no tech. But your ideas are good, but i cant exactly make a shinebug reactor without steel or glass. I can get both steel and glass eventually though. You’d be surprised what becomes a challenge. In my first attempt i ran out of sand unless i was willing to get rid of my only building materials i was stuck for a filtration medium. food and oxygen were actually pretty easy. The occasional 12kcals of food (or 4k from an unneeded animal) given made the early lack of growables much easier to deal with. 

a challenge is choosing what i can survive with indefinitely without overproviding. Like a pip trivializes food and can trivialize water too if i have an arbor acorn (as mentioned in your post) with enough planted things i can mass produce dirt which is polluted dirt which is polluted oxygen. 

I've been exploring this a bit as well - this is what I've come up with. There's enough wild food for 1 dupe to survive indefinitely, same thing with the oxyferns. There's also critter eggs for a drecko and a hatch. Otherwise... it's pretty sparse. This is 4 cycles in. There were 2 tiles of starting dirt and 1 tile of oxylite. I could restrict things a bit more, but close enough for now. The star map has a bunch of single biome tiny worlds to land on. Each of those has 1-2 random geysers. All the major biomes (except badlands) are represented. 

block.thumb.png.d9c7c7e9107f10086febd58d3df0579a.png

Archived