Will getting a new processor increase my performance in ONI?

Hello...! For all of my life, I have used computers that are bought pre-built, and have never modified a computer before. At the moment, I'm considering the possibility of upgrading my computer, for the sake of a few things, one of them being increased performance in Oxygen Not Included.

The processor located within my computer at the moment is that of an AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core Processor, with 3.20 GHz.

If I were to upgrade to a more powerful processor, would that significantly increase my performance in ONI? If so, what processors do you recommend?

Not really, no. You will get some performance boost from upgrading to a new gen Ryzen, but I doubt you would find it worth the money.

Currently the best thing that will make the game runĀ much better is the Fast Track mod.

8 hours ago, Primalflower said:

If I were to upgrade to a more powerful processor, would that significantly increase my performance in ONI? If so, what processors do you recommend?

we to have benchmark at this forum with differed results, make your test, and look others what they have, you then get your answer if there is point upgrade or not

What you should basically do is use a cpu benchmarks and compare single threadedĀ performance

Basically on this basisĀ upgrading to a modern Ryzen like say the 5600X you might expect a 70% improvement in frame rates. In reality things like memory speed can also matter so it might not be quite that straightforward and might not be as good as a full system upgrade with a modern mobo, CPU and ram (if going a full system upgrade, it's very much worth considering a 12th gen intel CPU as even the cheap i3 has extremely good single threaded performance). But I would expect a noticeable improvement in performance just from a CPU upgrade.

You can also try comparing the benchmark testing (such as this thread):Ā 

Ā but bearing in mind many of those benchmarks are for an older version of the game which didn't have certain performance improvements.

In my experience the single best thing that let me play Oxygen not Included the best was upgrading from 8GB ram to 16GB ram.Ā  I went from a 2012 non-gaming laptop with 8gb ram to a 2020 gaming laptop with 16gb ram.Ā  The speeds are WAY faster as well as a RTX3060 rather than onboard nvidia chip.Ā  CPU went from 1.3GHz to 4GHz but the ram was the single best upgrade that allowed me to play ONI past 700 cycles

On 7/20/2022 at 10:13 PM, babba said:

Hello dear @Primalflower :bee:

IMHO its best to go with the Passmark Single Threading List, the games performance scales to this list.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

image.thumb.png.f4d38a65bb4ed6d8ad871933306db5b9.png

versus...

image.thumb.png.20f984f4107c666b5b4f63b6f95c8217.png

Hopefully there will be an 5000 score entry cpu by Christmas or next summer.

There are also quite some high ranking $ budget cpu`s :ghost:

Kind regards, babba :cheerful:

unfortunately this data is not 100% correct at that webpage for oni game, the reason why its not correct is because they
 measure only the single core speed, in reality our benchmark showed that AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D is good aswell for play oni 

but it have some drawbacks at some other tasks

Ā 

5800x3d.thumb.png.d10c8abdf294dd5b1ab667816a27f767.png

Ā 

but don't get me wrong you to can play this with older PC as well just with new hardware you can play longer before you start see the issues

On 7/7/2022 at 12:03 PM, Primalflower said:

I upgraded from a 2700x to a 5900x and the difference was massive! The improvement from your 1400 would be mind boggling (i also upgraded my memory though). But regardless, i still need the Fast Track mod like others have told you to play comfortably at the late game.

But i rather wait a little bit if i were you, AMD is set to release its new gen soon, (some say as soon as next october, but that is a rumor for now), and that new platform should be able to support more generations to come.

So i'd say, get a 5800X3D if you cannot wait to get a CPU later this year.

On 7/20/2022 at 3:13 PM, babba said:

Hello dear @Primalflower :bee:

IMHO its best to go with the Passmark Single Threading List, the games performance scales to this list.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

image.thumb.png.f4d38a65bb4ed6d8ad871933306db5b9.png

versus...

image.thumb.png.20f984f4107c666b5b4f63b6f95c8217.png

Hopefully there will be an 5000 score entry cpu by Christmas or next summer.

There are also quite some high ranking $ budget cpu`s :ghost:

Kind regards, babba :cheerful:

1563849017_Screenshot2022-07-28at01-17-44PassMarkSoftware-AboutourCompany.thumb.png.3cdaed4b87708fe1074cba3b7b7289a4.png

**Doubt**

The Passmark user result list was lead by Apple and AMD for quite a while, Intel recently launched a bunch of cpu's which rank high in single threading.Ā 

AMD is countering soon again, but Intel has pulled their socks up in the last half year. IMHO its now tight competition ping pong between the 3 companies.

If one wants to stay up to date - Its good to check the list every half a year or so.

Anyone can run and submit results with the Passmark benchmark test. Half a year ago Apple and AMD lead the highest single threading cpu ranks.

To build a great gaming computer, it is clever to choose a good single threading performer - To power gpu (games) and/or cpu single threading dependent game titles. Most games only fully utilise one or two cores, large scale multi core support is rare in the games industry.

ONIs min spec are two physical/logic cpu cores, so that's where the development focus has always been laid and focussed on.Ā 

A top 20 ranking single threader cpu with high clocked multi cores, as (gaming&production) bonus, can be a wise decision - Energy consumption may also be an evaluation factor for the user/gamer.

+32 GB RAM memory are handy, up until the recent Klei optimizations my save game was using 25 GB RAM. I haven't played ONI since then.

It is great that Klei listens to user complaints, drumming about memory consumption was well worth it.

Wishing everybody a nice weekend,

babbaĀ :-)

On 7/28/2022 at 8:09 AM, melquiades said:

1563849017_Screenshot2022-07-28at01-17-44PassMarkSoftware-AboutourCompany.thumb.png.3cdaed4b87708fe1074cba3b7b7289a4.png

**Doubt**

its not about this at all that its own by microsoft or intel but instead 5800X3D have the very low memory latency and big cache buffer for repeatable instructions at asm

whatĀ  means he not need that high single core speed as he can read same data much faster.

at that webpage yes results are weird but in fact is that they measure only single-core speed at there not the memory access for repeatable functions

also fact is that 5800X3D have 19% better memory latency than for 12900k

butĀ  12900k have higher single core-speed soo in generalĀ  12 series still wins but not in all tasks

soo what makes cache difference.

lets say you have in c++, the for loop function where all kind mathematical calculations are made , when its short then amd and intel not needs jump front and back between memory self all the time and use they own cache buffer , now when "for loop" is bigger then intel needs start use read from memory more often than amd and that is where cache buffer gets his advance

when intel wakes up finally and starts make higher cache buffer than amd have then amd have no change anymore, but intel been soo blind all the time by thinking that single core is only what matters, dunno if they even notice that

Ā 

1 hour ago, gabberworld said:

you know why intel is better than AMD, you have lower heat bills at winter. lol. i just think ed about this because russia trolls Europe with gas

I think the game is really good in making players realize that heat can be an existential survival problem. IMHO in 40 years Europe, and most places in the world, will have a desert climate like in Iraq nowadays - Lots of sand dunes, like in Dune. :roll:

+ 60 meter higher sea level, so lots of cities and land wiped out in 200 years or so. The old movie Water World is a good upcoming life preview.

IMHO it is already 20 years too late to run giant sea water desalination plants + forbidding water bottling companies to suck the last ground water away. Humans are fascinating - It took millions of years to form all the natural resources and humans consume it all away within 200 years.

Real Earth = Playing with 200-500 dupes :lol:

Hot wind which forms sand dunes in the game could be cool, sand starting to block vertical entry/exit tunnels with meter high piled up sand. :p

1 hour ago, babba said:

I think the game is really good in making players realize that heat can be an existential survival problem. IMHO in 40 years Europe, and most places in the world, will have a desert climate like in Iraq nowadays - Lots of sand dunes, like in Dune. :roll:

Ā 

this game is definitely may open some users eyes. for example look. they too use recurses also for cool down servers, but instead they could use that heat for home hot water

59 minutes ago, babba said:

IMHO in 40 years Europe, and most places in the world, will have a desert climate like in Iraq nowadays - Lots of sand dunes, like in Dune. :roll:

Thats ridiculous. Its getting warmer, but Iraq climate is not gonna come in 50 years. I found this prediction, which shows maybe a little bit of desert in southern Spain. A far cry from Iraq (and thats just spain, rest of europe is even less Irag-ish in the prediction)
Koppen-Geiger_Map_Europe_future.svg

59 minutes ago, babba said:

+ 60 meter higher sea level, so lots of cities and land wiped out in 200 years or so. The old movie Water World is a good upcoming life preview.

Well this is just silly. Even worse case scenario predict "only" 2m rise by 2100. Theres no need to pull up random numbers.
https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-sea-level

1 hour ago, GluttonyMain said:

Thats ridiculous. Its getting warmer, but Iraq climate is not gonna come in 50 years. I found this prediction, which shows maybe a little bit of desert in southern Spain. A far cry from Iraq (and thats just spain, rest of europe is even less Irag-ish in the prediction)
Koppen-Geiger_Map_Europe_future.svg

Well this is just silly. Even worse case scenario predict "only" 2m rise by 2100. Theres no need to pull up random numbers.
https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-sea-level

i to know how we can get climate warm. send to space the gigant sunglasses and add them between satellites.

but babba is right its been getting hotter at Europe, i remember much colder times when i was younger

Hellas everyone :love_heart:

image.png.d6f4ff5167b31c5df8a22c972337ecda.png

I can kindly recommend to watch the latest reliable fact and science based ARTE documentaries on Youtube :beguiled:. It is quite shocking how fast earth processes have increased in speed and magnitude.

The pole regions are currently currently heating up with 2.7 Celsius every 10 years, the process will accelerate further, due to water ( where ice was before ) taking on more sun heat as the ice is gone which had reflected most sun rays back to space + sand blowing in to the artic region ( on to ice ), additionally retaining sun rays and heat. It is an exponential speeding up process.

Huge mono culture plantations have already consumed most Brazil and Borneo former rain forest. Some regions in India, as example, have no more ( population accessible ) ground water at all...Meanwhile bottling companies have their deep wells sucking the last ground water reserves away. IMHO the stock exchange listed bottling companies will, at some point in the future, change to building giant water desalination plants ( after they have exhausted the last ground water reserves ) - It is just a matter of time. In my opinion goverments need to start building massive desalination plants for their populations, so that people don`t have to buy filled plastic bottles every day from the companies.

I find Klei`s ONI simplified space thermal simulation quite cool, it makes me think of earth. Consuming Uranium, Coal, Gas, Oil etc. transforms to heat, which stays on this planet ( in one stored form or the other ). It does not magically disappear from earth.

I wonder if the great @mathmanican would like to say anything on this ( temperature? ) topic...Or make a cool joke about something. :adoration:

To get to the ONI game: It would be nice to have an atmosphere on some planets in the game, I would love to see some hot weather which can create and form sand dunes in the game :bee:

Makes me think of Diablo2 back then :ghost::lol::ghost:

BTW when I was little we used to have 1-2 meter snow on 200 meter above sea elevation level in NRW/Germany, since 2000 it sometimes snows 1 cm in NRW in Winter...If any snow falls at all. Nowadays one can have a celebration if it snows or rains at all. As one travels/lives in Germany and England ( as examples ) it is interesting to see the forming of sand fields, dying woods, ground erosion, empty lakes and riverbeds, sudden torrential rain floodings and having everywhere wells of the famous bottling company sucking ground water from lots of locations.

Kind regards to you all, babba

image.thumb.png.0264a8d37da337e3a179cbe75c4becd2.png P.S. Reminds me already of IRAQ :lol::roll:

P.P.S. Can we have buildable prefab bridges in ONI :confused::confused::confused: That would be soooooooooooo nice :cheerful:

P.P.P.S Also...Elevators and industrial cargo trains !!! :applause: @degr Winki winki :adoration:

image.thumb.png.29ee51635bb764cd6ddc4f292ee786d6.png Teletubby Hill ( UK ) ...never received a climate model update

image.png.281d1290e9e02740b9d3915021fbf1eb.png Gotta go ! Breakfast is ready... :ghost:

Archived