Do you want a soundtrack rework?

Do you want a soundtrack rework?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What settings do you prefer most of the time while playing DST?

• Leave the music volume untouched.
    • Adjust the music volume to my liking, louder than the sound effects.
    • Adjust the music volume to my liking, quieter than the sound effects.
    • Turn the music off.
  2. 2. If you chose option 2 or option 3 in the previous question, why is that?

• I want to create my own balance between music and sound.
    • I don't like how some music are very loud/very quiet compared to others.
    • I like it more when the music is much louder than the sound effectts.
    • I like it more when the music is much quieter than the sound effects.
    • I chose option 1 or option 4.
  3. 3. Do you think there are poorly mixed soundtracks in DST?

• Yes, some of the music is too quiet to the point I can't hear it.
    • Yes, some of the music is too loud to the point it gives me jumpscares.
    • Not necessarily, but some music could use some volume tweaking.
    • No, the game has a perfectly mixed soundtrack.
    • I don't even know how the music sounds. / I didn't play enough with the music on to have an opinion on this.
  4. 4. Would you like to see a soundtrack rework in the near future?

• Yes! The music is awesome and I want to hear them all equally loud.
    • Sure why not.
    • I don't care that much.
    • No, the music of the game is already perfectly mixed.
  5. 5. Do you think that we should point fingers at the Ancient Guardian for stopping its own music when you take a short break from the fight? (Or any other boss in that matter, leave a comment if you find another one)

• YES. Let me hear that epic music without any breaks.
    • I will only do it if you do it.
    • I don't care to be honest.
    • No, it's fine.
    • Wait, it stops the music that fast?

I absolutely LOVE the music of DST. My only problem is that I can't hear enough of it while playing the game, which is a shame considering the amount of work the artists put into the soundtrack. Almost all the new title themes are extremely quiet now, and most of the new background music is much too weak in terms of volume.

For example, it was a pure coincidence for me to realize that the Wagstaff Quests had their own music, and the 3 epic themes of the Celestial Champion always felt anti-climactic to me, just because of how quiet they are. Which is actually funny, because I still get the goosebumps while listening to the CC themes outside of the game. Then there are the sailing and Pearl's island themes that are actually audible, but still not loud enough.

In addition to all of this, some of the old music can sometimes be too loud as well (I'm looking at you, Winter Danger soundtrack. You are always giving me jumpscares). And then there is the case of the Ancient Guardian theme, probably my favorite soundtrack in the game. My only problem left with the Ancient Guardian fight is the music stopping whenever you take a short break from the fight (to fight Shadow Creatures, for example, or to dodge earthquakes while kiting the minotaur).

I also think that some character sounds can be louder too, but that is a topic for another time. I believe that with all the new music being added to the game, we finally need a soundtrack rework in DST. Otherwise it would take much more time for the developers/sound engineers/producers to balance the mix of the complete soundtrack. What do you guys think?

I just want the RoT music to have it's volumes increased cause it's still been same damn thing on them being super low. Even Glermz on his streams turns on the soundtrack off screen just to make it loud and epic enough to when he fights multiple Celestial Champions xd. Klei pls fix.

Other than that - have a scroll bar to how much volume you want, from 0-100. It's too finicky how it works.

I want a button that toggles music between 0 & whatever it's normally set to so I can turn music on for fights and have my own music the rest of the time since the music is so inconsistent in its playing. Couldn't find a mod like this last time I looked. 

while I really enjoy having music for bossfights since their themes are awesome, more often than not I just leave music volume at 0 because I don't like the menu music playing endlessly in the background while I have dst open

1 hour ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

I just want the RoT music to have it's volumes increased cause it's still been same damn thing on them being super low.

Exactly, except they are also inconsistently low, and how they blend with the other sounds of the game is also one of the many things that should be considered. That also seems to be lacking in the RoT updates.

39 minutes ago, Echsrick said:

i wish the other seasons got redone like autum

I don't have a specific wish like that, although I wouldn't oppose it either. That said, the summer work theme is among my favorite soundtracks, so I wouldn't want it to go away. But in the end, if there is going to be a new soundtrack that is real low on volume, the problem just repeats itself. That's at least a bigger concern for me.

5 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I want a button that toggles music between 0 & whatever it's normally set to so I can turn music on for fights and have my own music the rest of the time since the music is so inconsistent in its playing. Couldn't find a mod like this last time I looked. 

While doing some research, I stumbled upon this official tutorial on creating a soundtrack mod for DS, I don't know if it's any help to you though.

Spoiler

There is this updated tutorial for DST from a forumer too, but I haven't read it yet. It shouldn't be that complicated though, it also looks like a nice summer project if you wish to spend some time on trying to create a basic mod:D

Spoiler

I wish accessing the game's sound files wasn't such a big hassle though, otherwise I would love to give my own (number based) suggestions to the developer team.

7 minutes ago, mr. brj said:

I don't have a specific wish like that, although I wouldn't oppose it either. That said, the summer work theme is among my favorite soundtracks, so I wouldn't want it to go away. But in the end, if there is going to be a new soundtrack that is real low on volume, the problem just repeats itself. That's at least a bigger concern for me.

it wont go away, it just upgrated like autum musik allready is

alsol there needs to be character spesific mutes, so i have to never have to listen to wendys screaming

The damn gardening music.  It's so loud and repetitive and glitches the hell out of music mods.  It goes on for so long just because I talked to one plant but the boss music cuts out constantly.  Then again I never use music mods so it doesn't matter anyway.

just cc theme and lunar island theme.

as the lazy person I am, I take like a whole in game month doing the moonstorm event procrastinating.

and hearing lunar theme every single night do rots my brain.

and cc theme cuz boring.

4 hours ago, mr. brj said:

There is this updated tutorial for DST from a forumer too, but I haven't read it yet. It shouldn't be that complicated though, it also looks like a nice summer project if you wish to spend some time on trying to create a basic mod:D

Hide contents

That tutorial is a tad outdated. I have a more up-to-date version of said tutorial here:

I hope Wagstaff Quests music can become larger, as it's virtually undetectable in the game right now. I have a Carnival tree in the center of the base as a decoration. It plays this music every time I move around. It has such a high priority that I can hardly hear the normal seasonal work music in the base.

In a similar vein of game audio, I find that the sound FX volume adjuster isn't sensitive enough. When i have it set to the lowest possible setting, it's still loud enough that it gets picked up on my mic over discord. So I'd love for that to be fine tuned because playing DST on mute is a no go IMHO.

Archived