About the Moon Quay Island

I want to discuss a few things about the island.

1) Finding it: So I've read a few times that maybe killing the pirate monkeys should drop a map to the location of the island. But I've been thinking that maybe it could be more organic, and instead of just "that", all pirate monkeys should go to the island after a raid. You can then either follow them (maybe the magnets could help on that) or basically hide among them, as a stowaway

Spoiler

snurtle-away.jpg.622714961d8e1f9d35363a156c0880cf.jpg

I'm hidden inside that snurtle shell of course. They took me to the edge of the map and crashed their boat there...

2) I think the island should "really" belong to the monkeys. Despite being able to use it for the portal and maybe more interactions with the queen in the future, even if you destroy all their houses, the pirates should slowly rebuild their stuff, or at least hang on the island for a while before leaving once every few days. So if you really want to live there indefinitely, you'd have to either defend it or embrace being Wonkey. 

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

But I've been thinking that maybe it could be more organic, and instead of just "that", all pirate monkeys should go to the island after a raid. You can then either follow them (maybe the magnets could help on that) or basically hide among them, as a stowaway

I LOVE this idea, it woulda been a tiny bit boring to just do 'reveal location' again so being able to be a stowaway on a boat and find their island that way is a really sick idea.

Another possibility is to kill enough raids, become Wonkey, and then the next time you see them going around you become neutral enough to board their ship and go back to the island with them. Or leave a map marker of some kind on their boat so you see their trajectory on the map (like an occuvigil)

Perhaps to avoid the game from spawning infinite ships, once they go to the island, hang there for some time, then they will try to go away and despawn. 

2 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

They took me to the edge of the map and crashed their boat there…

I really hope they change this, if Klei doesn’t make it so that the monkeys return to their island after a while, they should at the the very least make them to continue to sail around after a raid, either aimlessly or just patrolling an area.

Things are still subject to change since it’s still a beta so I hope they’re thinking about things similar to your ideas because the stowaway strategy sounds really unique and funny.

i think the idea of going or following the monkey boat until they reach the island just feels like a very staged event that ignores many problems like Boat AI having to be upgraded and such.

I like how it is now, i enjoy sailing, knowing exactly where everything is basically means 90% of the ocean experience will be go from A to B.

13 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

2) I think the island should "really" belong to the monkeys. Despite being able to use it for the portal and maybe more interactions with the queen in the future, even if you destroy all their houses, the pirates should slowly rebuild their stuff, or at least hang on the island for a while before leaving once every few days. So if you really want to live there indefinitely, you'd have to either defend it or embrace being Wonkey. 

I love the idea of this so much a hostile civilization that even if you smash or burn their homes they'll rebuild over time so you can't take a easy way out it'll make them go a long way to making them feel like a persistent threat.

Also from what I heard(haven't confirmed yet) they don't spawn from their homes in winter so I think it'd be interesting if their range of activity on the seas change with the seasons maybe they're more active in spring and maybe even have a water pump installed on their boats in summer? 

Sounds very fun. I love how open this idea is, with so many different ways to be able to follow them. 

11 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

i think the idea of going or following the monkey boat until they reach the island just feels like a very staged event that ignores many problems like Boat AI having to be upgraded and such.

I think pirates attacking you then sailing into nothing and crashing into a wall feels 1,000,000x more staged than pirates attacking you then sailing back to where they came from. Koalephant tracks magically appearing whenever you inspect the last also feels a lot more staged. This honestly would feel like the most natural ai encounter in the entire game. 

Archived