Should DST be harder? If so, in what aspects? If not, why?

On 5/7/2022 at 3:40 AM, LiamAshvinn001 said:

MORE. SEASONAL. HAZARDS. 

Yes please. Do you think they should gradually get more hazardous as the dst years go by?

On 5/7/2022 at 8:06 AM, Mysterious box said:

The constant just feels too safe and tame sure you can seek out danger but it feels like people could rather easily tame the constant if they made a effort and didn't needlessly throw themselves into danger. I'm not saying it throw hell at you every 5 seconds but a world that apparently trying to kill you shouldn't be so polite.

This is the problem with most people replies here. I have to seek out danger, this is an uncompromising survival game, the danger should easily find me. Things like sanity and darkness are far too tame at the moment and its gonna take more than a few shadow creatures and hands stealing fire to make them feel like a threat...

12 hours ago, planetearth said:

I wish the survival aspect was harder. But the game's since moved away from that. Like for example, as much as I love Reap What You Sow and it's a fun exciting mechanic, I wish you couldn't grow during winter. Winter's big gimmick was that food is scarce.

DST is fun with friends but I will stick to Don't Starve expansions for challenges I enjoy.

Who struggles to get through winter without rwys farming? All the good food sources were already unaffected by winter, except for one that lasts so long you can easily go at least an entire season without harvesting it.

3 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Who struggles to get through winter without rwys farming? All the good food sources were already unaffected by winter, except for one that lasts so long you can easily go at least an entire season without harvesting it.

No fish, no berries, no honey and shorter days for things like butterflies and rabbits. Only real way to get food is combat. The original game was geared towards combat being the last resort. And most people do not have 100s or 1000s of hours to become good at combat.

If you want to go watch really old Rhymes with Play I'm sure you'll see them talking about that as a design choice.

This wasn't meant to bash the devs, just talking about my preferences in a game.

Winter produce is a thing! and how can herbivores (Wurt) gonna survive winter without any food? unless they salt rush there are no way herbivores (Wurt) can survive winter without anything growing in winter.

3 minutes ago, planetearth said:

No fish, no berries, no honey and shorter days for things like butterflies and rabbits. Only real way to get food is combat. The original game was geared towards combat being the last resort. And most people do not have 100s or 1000s of hours to become good at combat.

If you want to go watch really old Rhymes with Play I'm sure you'll see them talking about that as a design choice.

This wasn't meant to bash the devs, just talking about my preferences in a game.

But even back then you still had things like pig farms, (later) bunnyman farms, honey farms, etc. It isn't the game getting easier, you're just getting better.

You can literally stockpile the seeds you get during autumn and just eat those through winter without needing to plant them. I don't think people invested enough to be able to successfully farm through winter are starving otherwise.

2 minutes ago, planetearth said:

Fishing is still a option in winter, there are multiple food sources that grow in winter such as cactus, kelp, stone fruit, and crops what options did you have in the original game for non combat survival that you don't now? As someone who owns both I'm confused by this since there's even more non combat based food sources at least in my opinion not to mention you can also use traps if your desperate to avoid combat.

If the Constant is truly an untamed wilderness (which it isn't) then this is wrong, nature isn't cruel but it isn't kind either nature welcomes everyone with an open arm but to truly survive you must learn to adapt and overcome, nature doesn't try to kill you it the consequences of your action that kill you, everything needs to survive and sometimes it means harming other but this isn't nature being cruel it just being fair, the balance of nature isn't good or bad it neutral, predators live in the constant fear of starving and prey live in the constant fear of being eaten, no one is truly losing or winning, so that why I think DST is perfect.

15 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Fishing is still a option in winter, there are multiple food sources that grow in winter such as cactus, kelp, stone fruit, and crops what options did you have in the original game for non combat survival that you don't now? As someone who owns both I'm confused by this since there's even more non combat based food sources at least in my opinion not to mention you can also use traps if your desperate to avoid combat.

....all things but cactus are things added in DST that make the game easier.

18 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You can literally stockpile the seeds you get during autumn and just eat those through winter without needing to plant them. I don't think people invested enough to be able to successfully farm through winter are starving otherwise.

I am saying what you can actively get in Winter. Stockpiling is a valid option.

...I say winter is harder to get food and you all come at me with ways you can get food that have caveats or require a lot of skill and resources (that could easily burn down).

3 minutes ago, planetearth said:

...I say winter is harder to get food and you all come at me with ways you can get food that have caveats or require a lot of skill and resources (that could easily burn down).

That is not fun for me.

I like the idea of some tougher biomes where you need to carry a lot of provisions to get through (similar to sailing for a long time).    An Antarctic like biome that takes days if not 1-2 weeks to get through, no food, bitter cold and blizzards that blind you.

5 minutes ago, Mencken said:

I like the idea of some tougher biomes where you need to carry a lot of provisions to get through (similar to sailing for a long time).    An Antarctic like biome that takes days if not 1-2 weeks to get through, no food, bitter cold and blizzards that blind you.

That would be larger than the entire mainland if it take 1-2 week.

It not bad idea but I think it be too large if it take 1 day to go through and what would even be the reward anyway? No body just want to go through a extremely bad time just for nothing.

28 minutes ago, planetearth said:

I am saying what you can actively get in Winter. Stockpiling is a valid option.

Okay so you can't grow rwys crops in winter because birds don't drop seeds in winter.

28 minutes ago, planetearth said:

..I say winter is harder to get food and you all come at me with ways you can get food that have caveats or require a lot of skill and resources (that could easily burn down).

Rwys farming has the most caveats and skill out of all of those. And what's starting fires in autumn? Whatever it is it could burn the things holding seeds and get rid of the rwys farm.

If rwys farming was removed Wurt would choose between honey or rushing lunar for the first winter instead of honey, lunar, or farming. It is one of the more difficult food sources to understand and anyone utilizing it would not suddenly starve without it (except maybe bad Wurts). The most popular noob food is meatballs from spiders, and they stick around in the winter. Winter even gives them the ice they love so much.

I’m probably in the minority here but I figured a game called “Don’t Starve” would feature more opportunities to do just exactly that “Starve”

Now hold on a second I don’t mean to make players hunger drain at a rapid and annoying rate, I mean more “Impactful” ways of Starving.

Such as food not growing, or getting contaminated, Mobs in the game acting more aggressively when they’re “Starving” with new Behaviors such as pig men breaking into your base to steal your crops, Spiders being more Hell bent on making YOU their Dinner for the evening- with possible new attacks and everything.

Im supposed to be exploring randomly generated worlds that hate me and want me to die-

https://www.klei.com/games/dont-starve

So then.. Outside of certain areas.. why is the constant mostly peaceful?

I want hungry mobs to chase after me when I have food they can smell inside my backpack..

Dont Starve Together- Is an Expansion to Dont Starve, therefore it should still play very much like Dont Starve.. 

DST is NOT a spin-off it’s not sold as a spin-off franchise (Aka the difference between Mario & Mario Kart) 

I don’t want an always peaceful world, I don’t want mobs that are neutral towards me unless I attack them first- I want to see things in this world HUNGRY and doing whatever it takes to not starve (maybe not raid bosses though, those things are annoying..)

18 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m probably in the minority here but I figured a game called “Don’t Starve” would feature more opportunities to do just exactly that “Starve”

Now hold on a second I don’t mean to make players hunger drain at a rapid and annoying rate, I mean more “Impactful” ways of Starving.

Such as food not growing, or getting contaminated, Mobs in the game acting more aggressively when they’re “Starving” with new Behaviors such as pig men breaking into your base to steal your crops, Spiders being more Hell bent on making YOU their Dinner for the evening- with possible new attacks and everything.

Im supposed to be exploring randomly generated worlds that hate me and want me to die-

https://www.klei.com/games/dont-starve

So then.. Outside of certain areas.. why is the constant mostly peaceful?

I want hungry mobs to chase after me when I have food they can smell inside my backpack..

Dont Starve Together- Is an Expansion to Dont Starve, therefore it should still play very much like Dont Starve.. 

DST is NOT a spin-off it’s not sold as a spin-off franchise (Aka the difference between Mario & Mario Kart) 

I don’t want an always peaceful world, I don’t want mobs that are neutral towards me unless I attack them first- I want to see things in this world HUNGRY and doing whatever it takes to not starve (maybe not raid bosses though, those things are annoying..)

Why does the world need us to survive? if the survivors left the constant who do the pig gonna raid? who are the animals going to hunt? are we the only supporting pillar of the fragile ecosystem that is the constant? what happens if the survivors never enter the constant or leave the constant is the entire ecosystem of the constant just die?

1 hour ago, Waoling said:

Why does the world need us to survive? if the survivors left the constant who do the pig gonna raid? who are the animals going to hunt? are we the only supporting pillar of the fragile ecosystem that is the constant? what happens if the survivors never enter the constant or leave the constant is the entire ecosystem of the constant just die?

I think their saying that their needs to be things happening even when were not there. 

Also as for biomes. The game needs some barriers to incentive surviving for a long period of time. A good example is the lunar boss, having many steps and peices to a puzzle that I always enjoy going through. It would be interesting if the mainland got some love with some harsh environments that one could almost never just walk through easily at the start of a game. I would kill for a thick, lush jungle biome with hostile vegetation and dangerous bugs that can not be killed by conventional means, and rather with equipment locked behind a crafting machine or blueprints. A jungle that once conquered, could provide rewarding benefits like super fertile crop land, or shade during summer (probably not this, as to keep mangroves important), or...something. Its a new biome idea so it would take time to come up with an idea.

2 hours ago, planetearth said:

....all things but cactus are things added in DST that make the game easier.

I acknowledged this already so I'm confused what your trying to point out here.

2 hours ago, planetearth said:

Gathering cactus and kelp have no skill wall or huge resource investment and every source of food can burn down/be destroyed even the meat ones so I don't get the point there.

4 hours ago, planetearth said:

Ironically the only thing I ever worry about in winter is freezing. With such a plethora of ice available at time meatballs and rabbit stew are always an option to cook up. On top of this yes you can farm in winter (unsure if your the one who mentioned this) and for good reason, most people do potatoes. But how do you get enough potato seeds? You prepare, its a reward not a crutch. Plus what the heck would Wurt eat without this?

Theres also cheap pig farms you can craft, and if you or a friend is playing winona or wendy you can easily harvest these for easy meat and hambats.

Then theres penguin nests, fishing, and spiders. All very simple to kill and reap the benefits of, no practice required since spiders can be stun locked, penguins can easily be tanked, and fishing is self explainatory. And for intermediates theres beefalo and volt goats roaming their respective biomes.

Everything here, even in the smallest portions, can be used efficiently if you have decent crockpot knowledge. Its about experience, not skill. Wow I said a lot there, my bad, I understand your opinion.

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

more biomes needs to be like the swamp so we have more difficulty between swamp and ruins in term of biomes

i love what they did with the grotto

I ADORE THE GROTTO.

We need more biomes, but would the mainland have to get even bigger in size by default? I see biome refreshes coming first if they ever put some thought to this. One biome that needs some dangourizing..(?) is the spider evergreen forest, other than spiders I feel as if it should be a little more dangerous. Same with the swamp, sure tentacles and merms are spoopy but what else is there really? For a marsh its lacking a bit.

11 hours ago, Lumine04 said:

Yes please. Do you think they should gradually get more hazardous as the dst years go by?

This is the problem with most people replies here. I have to seek out danger, this is an uncompromising survival game, the danger should easily find me. Things like sanity and darkness are far to tame at the moment and its gonna take more than a few shadow creatures and hands stealing fire to make them feel like a threat...

If I had it my way, I was thinking sub-seasons could spawn sometimes in certain areas. For example, something like rain storms could spawn in the ocean with unique mob spawns, however if u dont have a lightning rod boat upgrade you'll get struck. It doesnt have to be HUGE dangers but just something that makes you prepare a bit more. Then, back to the storm example, maybe you could get special loot from said mobs, and storms themselves could spawn more during Spring. It will depend on RNG, so maybe it could also happen on specific days, like how regular seasons work.

4 hours ago, Lumine04 said:

I ADORE THE GROTTO.

We need more biomes, but would the mainland have to get even bigger in size by default? I see biome refreshes coming first if they ever put some thought to this. One biome that needs some dangourizing..(?) is the spider evergreen forest, other than spiders I feel as if it should be a little more dangerous. Same with the swamp, sure tentacles and merms are spoopy but what else is there really? For a marsh its lacking a bit.

They probably dont need to increase the mainland size, since the biomes now are REALLY bland. The new biomes could just either replace it as long as they serve the same purpose. Example, they could replace the Mosaic with just another biome that has rocks.

20 hours ago, Waoling said:

That would be larger than the entire mainland if it take 1-2 week.

It not bad idea but I think it be too large if it take 1 day to go through and what would even be the reward anyway? No body just want to go through a extremely bad time just for nothing.

It would have weather conditions that allow only for slow travel, there would be things along the way and a great destination to get to for stuff you can't get anywhere else in the world.

7 minutes ago, Mencken said:

It would have weather conditions that allow only for slow travel, there would be things along the way and a great destination to get to for stuff you can't get anywhere else in the world.

You can just used lazy teleporter when your friend get there.

Lunar Island is an area with its own biomes, it’s own Lunacy effect, it’s own resources and mobs or Resource variants.

I would like to see more of that: Just large areas with its own climate, mobs, scenery, resources, hazards.

I’d also like to see a ton of new and fun things players can do with world Gen and world Gen settings- an Easy example that comes to mind is being able to adjust the RANGE in which a player needs to be to a Angry Bee Hive or a Leaky Shack to get Bees or Merms to chase after them.

I’ve played several RPGs where enemy encounters are triggered by walking into a circle under their feet (a good example of this is Tainted Grail: Conquest) when the player gets in range of this circle and enters it you will trigger a battle. In this same game- I can Adjust the SIZE of this circle (so I can avoid or trigger encounters while walking around the map more often) I can also choose to HIDE the circle so I won’t know how far the activation range extends.

When I watch the way Bees/Merms spawn and how close I need to be to them: I picture playing TG:C with the little circle of activation near them.

Now just imagine what would happen if we could adjust the size of that activation circle..

THAT is what I want..

1 hour ago, Waoling said:

2 new meters, hygiene meter that spilt into 6 parts bladder, body, poop, teeth, and hair, and a thirst meter.

Dont forget the carbs, protiens, and grains meter. Cant survive if you dont have a balanced diet

Archived