Man what happened to this games lore while I was gone?

I used to play don't starve well before DST was a thing and even still have a few worlds on my wiiU from my brief stint of playing RoG on that but I ultimately stopped playing sometime around 2018~ I think and was curious as to what the heck happened? I don't remember the world ever being called the "Constant" and I feel like there was alot of lore development from when I left, the last cinematic I even remember coming out was for hamlet and even then I hadn't been playing for a little bit. A little rundown would be nice, y'know?

Charlie and the Night Monster have merged into a composite being and is now in charge.

A large piece of the moon broke off, that piece is now an island where the rules of sanity are different.

The Moon itself is apparently one of Them.  No idea who that group actually is, but Charlie appears to oppose Them.

5 minutes ago, Man in the Mist said:

Charlie and the Night Monster have merged into a composite being and is now in charge.

A large piece of the moon broke off, that piece is now an island where the rules of sanity are different.

The Moon itself is apparently one of Them.  No idea who that group actually is, but Charlie appears to oppose Them.

alright that sounds pretty understandable and succinct 

The lore for this franchise is scattered all over the place, and with each character rework more and more lore is being revealed you can read each characters lore in the game in the compendium page- although some of them have yet to be revealed.. (Wilson, Wickerbottom, Maxwell)

Unfortunately a lot of the lore is also NOT in the game so you’ll need to watch stuff like This to catch up:

Wild prediction:  After the show gone horribly wrong in San Francisco, the Codex Umbra attempts to find a new reader in a librarian named Wickerbottom.  However, looking at a few pages shows her that the book is too dangerous to keep and she attempts to get rid of it.  The Codex Umbra takes offense to this and drags her into the Constant.

1 minute ago, Man in the Mist said:

Wild prediction:  After the show gone horribly wrong in San Francisco, the Codex Umbra attempts to find a new reader in a librarian named Wickerbottom.  However, looking at a few pages shows her that the book is too dangerous to keep and she attempts to get rid of it.  The Codex Umbra takes offense to this and drags her into the Constant.

Sounds kinda implausible

Just now, jan Mele said:

Sounds kinda implausible

As implausible as a man lifting and throwing a train car when boosted by shadows?

As implausible as a women who can de-age herself with a special watch?

As implausible as a girl being haunted by the ghost of her dead sister?

Just now, Man in the Mist said:

As implausible as a man lifting and throwing a train car when boosted by shadows?

As implausible as a women who can de-age herself with a special watch?

As implausible as a girl being haunted by the ghost of her dead sister?

It's not about realism, it's about consistency. I suppose you could brush it off as the book's property, but it would feel like plot convinience, at least to me. 

7 hours ago, Kuthooloo said:

I used to play don't starve well before DST was a thing and even still have a few worlds on my wiiU from my brief stint of playing RoG on that but I ultimately stopped playing sometime around 2018~ I think and was curious as to what the heck happened? I don't remember the world ever being called the "Constant" and I feel like there was alot of lore development from when I left, the last cinematic I even remember coming out was for hamlet and even then I hadn't been playing for a little bit. A little rundown would be nice, y'know?

So.. The Survivors go to the caves and kill the Ancient Fuelweaver, then they opened this uh portal. Than, uh They travel through different worlds before, uh retturning back to the land, Than the moon cracked and then uh a island appears. They travel through out the ocean to the island, where uhh they find an Altar. They find two more island by killing a crab's ex and  in a new ruins, Than they use the Altars, the uh THE MOON REVEALS IT IS AN ELDRITCH GOD AND SUMMONS MOONSTORMS IN YOUR WORLD. THEN WAGSTAFF FROM HAMLET. YEAH THAT WAGSTAFF. HIS HOLOGRAM GUIDES YOU TO MAKE A MACHINE TO STEALTHE POWER OF LITERAL GOD. THEN THE CELESTIAL CHAMPION BOSS STARTS AND WAGSTAFF LITERALLY STEALS THE POWER OF ALTER

Archived