Radiation inside rockets is silly

• It doesn't reflect the actual external radiation values (I have a rocket placed where exterior radiation is only 10 rads, but inside the rocket it's 184)
  • The only way to mitigate it is either radpill consumables or further constraining the already limited rocket interior with tiles to block the radiation flowing through the liquid ports.
  • It adds a layer of difficulty on top of an already difficult section of the game (rocketry, which is currently extraordinarily fiddly). 

Maybe just make the rocket and ports out of niobium?  

Radiation inside rockets isn't a concern unless one is playing on higher difficulty settings. It might be neat if the radiation inside the rocket interior reflected that of the outside, but this would only add concerns in certain situations, not remove them as one may think.

I don't know how to word this more eloquently, but In all of my time playing the video game, I've never, ever had a duplicant stand in the 2 tile spots where it might be possible for them to gain radiation sickness inside the small spacefarer for long enough so that it actually happens, I've never really used rad pills inside rockets. On paper, the radiation without a rocket sounds rather dangerous, but in practice, outside of higher difficulties, it doesn't tend to matter at all, even with duplicants on extended trips with the drillbit.

2 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

Radiation inside rockets isn't a concern unless one is playing on higher difficulty settings. It might be neat if the radiation inside the rocket interior reflected that of the outside, but this would only add concerns in certain situations, not remove them as one may think.

So, my problem is that it causes the radiation reaction pause, not really an issue with the radiation itself.  So in order to make sure my dupes aren't taking a two second pause every time they pass by these random spots in the ship (which makes little sense, really) I have to wall them off.  It's just silly.  It's not adding anything to the game to have the radiation pass through, there's no elegant way to address the reaction (aside from walling off pieces of the capsule, and since it doesn't pose a danger (as you pointed out) it's not serving any real purpose.

30 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

I've never, ever had a duplicant stand in the 2 tile spots where it might be possible for them to gain radiation sickness inside the small spacefarer for long enough so that it actually happens

I have, but only on max radiation difficulty for a Dupe on a 20 tile science expedition, in a rocket where I'd left the port columns unshielded but with nothing to attract the dupe to stand there, a couple of times my researcher decided to hang out there long enough to get mild radiation sickness. It probably would've gone away by itself but since she wasn't doing much anyway I just gave her a second bathroom slot in the schedule. Normally on max radiation difficulty I try to throw a tile under those ports, it's only 2 tiles, just to avoid that mild irritation. I do wish dupes were a bit less dumb about hanging out in places that irradiate and scald them.

7 hours ago, blakemw said:

I do wish dupes were a bit less dumb about hanging out in places that irradiate and scald them.

Agreed.  My point is, it's not really dangerous unless you're on max radiation difficulty anyway, at which point you're going to have plenty of problems when you hit planetside to really hammer home the idea that radiation is dangerous, so why have these weird gaps in our spacefarer modules?  

8 hours ago, Primalflower said:

Radiation inside rockets isn't a concern unless one is playing on higher difficulty settings.

I played once on standard radiation settings on Terrania, and put my researcher up in an orbital module.  He was fine the first cycle or two, but after a few more cycles he had level 1 radiation sickness.  I thought it not too bad, and then he had level two radiation sickness, vomited, and the vomit resulted in overpressurization of the room.  It wasn't deadly, but it did make for a concerning situation for sure.  I wasn't using rad pills though.

I don't like the radiation pause myself.  It's a pretty annoying feature, and doesn't seem to add much other than an animation and time loss, unlike how harder radiation settings might add an extra challenge to problem solve about.

To the original poster:

Do you want bad effects of radiation elsewhere?

If you don't care much, remember, you can turn down the bad effects of radiation on duplicants in the settings tab in the startup screen for another playthrough.

It is kinda silly that the rocket interior radiation doesn`t account for where the rocket but most of the time it doesn`t really matter. Rockets are meant to be used in space so it`s ok they get an average radiation effect. Maybe in the future the devs could make a radiation gradient in space so each tile has it`s own radiation and light level (for solar power).

On 4/10/2022 at 9:10 AM, babba said:

I like the sound of radiation... Knnnnk knk knknknkkkkk nknknknknk nkn knknkn :congratulatory:

The sound of dupes frying. Mmmmm

If op is so concerned about radiation inside the rocket, then throw an extra layer of lead shielding like I do.

1 hour ago, babba said:

Oh yes, and wear lead suits in flight. And eat Surf n Turf.

Honestly, radiation in space isn't an issue for me: it's when I arrive at the destination and start unloading/constructing a new base that my dupes start going green. Hence the 20tons of lead to build a roof.

On 4/9/2022 at 4:43 PM, Gurgel said:

You know, Oni is mostly silly. So this aspect fits right in.

The original post referred to an inconsistency in that external radiation on say a planet can be smaller than the internal radiation inside of a rocket.

Though, yea, silly game with babies providing as much meat as adults, reaching adulthood without eating anything, and regrowing scales just by a hydrogen atmosphere without any consumption of any kind.  Heck if dreckos scales decreased hydrogen pressure that would make more sense then the current silliness.

Archived