online with bad internet

so i like to play with wanda but my internet sucks rn

when i host sometimes is unplayable cause of the lag

before anyone tell me i know i can host in offline mode but i want to play with wanda/skins, is there a way to do it and not suffer because of my internet?

• Developer

Playing in online mode shouldn't affect your ping vs playing in offline mode, you can force a direct connection with c_connect() to confirm. The online part is just doing identity and inventory, so maybe an extra few hundred milliseconds switching between overworld and caves.

If you are the host you are not using the internet to connect to yourself. If you are experiencing lag it is likely because your computer is having issues running both the server and the client. You can try turning off lag compensation, or if you're using mods disabling those.

if you launch a world and press backspace you will see in the bottom right corner your ping which should be ~1 since you arent connecting to a server outside of your local network, also in the top right corner you will notice the fps so you can see if the performance is being awful or not. Lag compensation creates the feeling of having lag so you must turn it off (idk why this isnt off by default..) 

On 4/5/2022 at 9:59 AM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Lag compensation creates the feeling of having lag so you must turn it off (idk why this isnt off by default..) 

Since EVERYBODY ON THE PLANET suggests turning lag compansation off, I did it once and oh boy did I instantly regret it. Maybe it works fine with decent connections but when you have a med-poor internet connection, turning off lag compansation makes it absolutely unbearable. Your character lag-teleports everywhere if it can even move in the first place. And even if your connection is acceptable, all your moves respond late to your inputs.

I can guess that lag compansation is default on to give an alright moving experience when connecting players to any server. Idk why would people prefer to play without it.

5 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Since EVERYBODY ON THE PLANET suggests turning lag compansation off, I did it once and oh boy did I instantly regret it. Maybe it works fine with decent connections but when you have a med-poor internet connection, turning off lag compansation makes it absolutely unbearable. Your character lag-teleports everywhere if it can even move in the first place. And even if your connection is acceptable, all your moves respond late to your inputs.

I can guess that lag compansation is default on to give an alright moving experience when connecting players to any server. Idk why would people prefer to play without it.

idk about other players but when i start playing a game and it feels laggy i go to settings to see if i can improve the experience, wont be super difficult to see "lag compensation" and think abour turning it on to see if that fixes the problem.

Way better than people complaining about being hit from distant or not being able to damage enemies even when the character does the atack animation

idk how people can play with it on

6 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Exactly! Not only it causes character to have often random delays between commands' input and actual execution (I "rubberband" inconsistently on top of pings >70-100 at best, usually ~100-150 - but then again that's a problem with internet from all ISPs in the area I live), yet also "stutter" in walk/combat, appearing like "teleportation" over screen in a very game-flow breaking manner. Perhaps Lag Compensation: Off works well for people in the 30-60ms bracket of ping, but for others... results are quite daunting. For the life of me I've tried to adapt, but ultimately couldn't. Still I've learned to subtract 1-2-3 hits in kite patterns depending on ping, hence disputably ok by the end, via Lag Compensation: On. For some.. c'est la vie.

Archived