[Poll] On Progression/Difficulty Scaling

adasdawefgfd  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support more incremental difficulty changes in gameplay as you survived for longer in a given world?

2. 2. If yes, which part of gameplay should be affected?

• Boss stat scaling
    • Added seasonal challenges
    • Changes to resource availability and growth
    • Changes to regular mob stats
    • Variations in invading mobs (i.e. instead of hound waves you get a horde of spiders)
    • Changes to hunt encounters to add more variety (e.g. herds of koalefants, herds of ewecus, trail leads to a lone wandering pig, etc)
    • Scaling related to the number of players on server
    • I answered no
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
  3. 3. If Yes, why would you support such changes?

• It's more fun to survive in an increasingly difficult world
    • It would make multiplayer a more balanced experience
    • It greatly varies an otherwise monotonous late mid or lategame
    • It forces me to adapt my playstyle to changing threats.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
    • I voted no.
  4. 4. If no, why wouldn't you support such changes?

• It would make the game unnecessarily tedious
    • It would imbalance singleplayer.
    • Multiplayer is fine as is.
    • Current progression is enjoyable as is.
    • Having to constantly adapt to threats is taxing.
    • Other (please do mention in the comments.)
    • I voted Yes.

what if it worked like terraria hardmode where after you defeat the wall of flesh the game gets harder variants of enemies and new loot

after you defeat the celestial champion  "they" could become angry, stronger or whatever causing the creatures of the world to mutate and grow stronger

7 hours ago, goblinball said:

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by “10+ hours of nothing”? If you’re referring to all the stuff the average player does in their first in-game year, idk about you but that doesn’t seem like 10 hours of “nothing”.

Yes, I can elaborate. But not right now. You responded too quickly, please ask me again next Thursday and I'll tell you. There's plenty of other things to do while you wait for time to pass so the pointless waiting is good. 

12 hours ago, reallychina said:

1. not with more health but with more damage. MASSIVE DAMAGE.  this way they would actually put a strain on resources and force you to play better. and be more rewarding when defeated. they need to reward better play (fuelweaver heals more etc).

If fuelweaver heals more I swear to god he better not summon more shadow minions to heal him, I don't wanna be fighting misery toadstool 2.

11 minutes ago, dubious little said:

If fuelweaver heals more I swear to god he better not summon more shadow minions to heal him, I don't wanna be fighting misery toadstool 2.

i think he should only heal more per shadow and hit harder each iteration. the fight is otherwise very engaging. cc should hit harder and perhaps alternate attacks.

the goal would be to make mistakes cost more, not to drag the fight longer.

at this time there is hardly any motivation to keep killing bosses. and they become increasingly easy with the right gear.

Just now, reallychina said:

i think he should only heal more per shadow and hit harder each iteration. the fight is otherwise very engaging. cc should hit harder and perhaps alternate attacks.

the goal would be to make mistakes cost more, not to drag the fight longer.

at this time there is hardly any motivation to keep killing bosses. and they become increasingly easy with the right gear.

Alright cool cool.

20 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Adding or changing things over time just causes confusion

The thing is, initially ds was build on the fact that the player starts with little knowledge and gains during play. The fact that the things depwnd on world age CAN be communicated clearly. Also, bearger. 

19 hours ago, Cheggf said:

If it's so oppressive that it overwhelms new players it's not a good addition to the game. It will just be obnoxious to deal with.

Most games have advanced features and even some basic things not appear at the start of a game for preventing this. 

20 hours ago, Cheggf said:

If it really is a good idea to be added why gate it behind 10+ hours of nothing?

What about a new game+ sort of feature? This would also allow players learning these on their own pace.

On 3/24/2022 at 3:15 AM, Owlrust said:

Btw, I love that idea you put in for "Changes to hunt encounters to add more variety" to make some hunts lead to a single pig, that's an awesome idea.

The credit to this and some more of the brilliant ideas goes to @Nettalie and Travis at hornet's

It could be done to satisfy newer players and veterans that play for 1000+ days on a world. Just set a trigger on boss like hard mode on terraria, a boss that is hard to kill or find that would give enough time for new players to learn the game before they manage to do it, increase the loot or new items as difficulty is scaling so that it isn't gatekeeping players just based on the increased difficulty.

Archived