[BETA] Fast Track - Performance Mod for Oxygen Not Included

39 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

And while you wonder KLEI had already done it. Some and not all. Why? Because the changes Peter made are noch 100% stable. They can cause problems. Problems the Team at Klei do not want to throw at all of the users. If you use such "hacks" you have to support your customers, if something does not work out. Just read THIS very thread with all the reports of problems, and if you want, take a look at the source page of this mod. Its not all roses and sunshine and some people get serious problems with this mod active. You do NOT want this as a game dev. And so they are very limited to what implement and what not.

It's also worth stating that some of the changes that Peter has made with this mod actually constitute gameplay changes. Some trivial, some less so, but the overall impact is that the version of the game that Peter has created with this mod goes against some of the design choices that Klei have made. Some of the choices about how Klei designed the game have [negative] performance impacts, and fixing performance in those cases means changing the design of the game. There's probably quite a few performance fixes Peter hasn't (or refuses) to consider specifically because they would go too far, from his perspective, in changing the design of the game.

So that probably plays a lot into the reasoning that some of these changes haven't been incorporated into the base game.

On 5/15/2023 at 10:37 PM, SharraShimada said:

If you use such "hacks" you have to support your customers, if something does not work out.

You know, Peter has to use said "hacks" because he does not have access to the code. I wasn't brave enough to peek into FT code to see what does it change, but I can imagine some scenarios where variable type could affect performance, something that is trivial to change if you have access to the code, but close to impossible if you are modder and must use patching.

And about issues - yeah, each code change can make them appear, just see how many new things appear with each new game update. And it's not like they appear because Peter is doing shady-hacky things or Klei is bad at their job. Those things just happen, it's impossible to test everything and I really appreciate how Klei handles early access of each update to fix every major issue before the release. To not have bugs would mean not to update the game, and I'm really happy with current update model

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cpy said:

So what kind of gameplay mechanics this performance mod changes?

- Everything is generally faster. FPS is up in the teens or better.

- Critters get stuck less often. But there are still a couple bugs, like Pacus don't recognize when a fish feeder goes from not enough water to enough, and sometimes dreckos or pufts get stuck waiting for grooming. Save and reload to fix. Pretty sure these are not the mod's doing.

- In my current game I have three Morb rooms with ~20 Morbs each to generate free polluted oxygen. Does not seem to cause any lag.

- The Starmap is not ludicrously slow.

- Sometimes when I load an old save file, all the cycle timers have floating point values instead of integer values, so they'll be set to start at 29.9% and run for 9.9% instead of 30% and 10%, and you can't fix them. I think this is related to FT but can't prove it, but it's not a big deal.

- My giant cooling loops sometimes look like they're stuttering, but the flow is still correct as far as the physics is concerned.

- Dupes might take an extra few seconds to recognize when the map has changed (navigation) or a new task has become available. This was an intentional tradeoff.

If you're playing games into 1000 cycles or more I'd strongly recommend it. I basically consider the game unusable without it anymore.

Edited by meekay

On 5/18/2023 at 9:43 AM, meekay said:

- Everything is generally faster. FPS is up in the teens or better.

- Critters get stuck less often. But there are still a couple bugs, like Pacus don't recognize when a fish feeder goes from not enough water to enough, and sometimes dreckos or pufts get stuck waiting for grooming. Save and reload to fix. Pretty sure these are not the mod's doing.

- In my current game I have three Morb rooms with ~20 Morbs each to generate free polluted oxygen. Does not seem to cause any lag.

- The Starmap is not ludicrously slow.

- Sometimes when I load an old save file, all the cycle timers have floating point values instead of integer values, so they'll be set to start at 29.9% and run for 9.9% instead of 30% and 10%, and you can't fix them. I think this is related to FT but can't prove it, but it's not a big deal.

- My giant cooling loops sometimes look like they're stuttering, but the flow is still correct as far as the physics is concerned.

- Dupes might take an extra few seconds to recognize when the map has changed (navigation) or a new task has become available. This was an intentional tradeoff.

If you're playing games into 1000 cycles or more I'd strongly recommend it. I basically consider the game unusable without it anymore.

None of those are changes to gameplay mechanics, just optimizations of performance issues or changes that are visual only, like the pipes. 

A change to gameplay mechanics would be something that has an actual material effect on the mechanics of a game.  New machines with functionality not present in the original game, changes in dupe AI (not throttling the existing AI, but something like a AI change that prevents dupes from deconstructing a ladder if it would result in them being trapped underwater), alterations to the function of existing machines, alterations to the math used for heat transfer, etc.  For example, take a complex colony (a theoretical one that has every possible machine and building being actively used), save it, add or remove a specific mod, then load the game.  If anything in that colony no longer functions after adding or removing that mod, it probably made actual changes to the gameplay mechanics.

10 hours ago, King of Blades said:

alterations to the function of existing machines

Regarding this, I don't really know if it was this mod that did it or if it was a base game change (or an interaction with a bigger capacity mod that i use), but i remember 1 autosweeper being able to feed a conveyor belt on their own, now they pause between loads, leaving empty space in the belt. That would be a gameplay change, but the trade off is just too good let it pass.

5 hours ago, melquiades said:

Regarding this, I don't really know if it was this mod that did it or if it was a base game change (or an interaction with a bigger capacity mod that i use), but i remember 1 autosweeper being able to feed a conveyor belt on their own, now they pause between loads, leaving empty space in the belt. That would be a gameplay change, but the trade off is just too good let it pass.

One of the best features of this mod (among many, it’s an incredible body of work) is the ability to turn off specific optimizations to troubleshoot minor issues like this.

First, I’d recommend turning off the mod entirely to see if this behavior changes. If so, then go through and test each option to see what is causing it. You may find that you can recover the desired behavior with a more acceptable performance tradeoff.

17 hours ago, Charletrom said:

First, I’d recommend turning off the mod entirely to see if this behavior changes. If so, then go through and test each option to see what is causing it. You may find that you can recover the desired behavior with a more acceptable performance tradeoff.

If i turn it off i am seriously afraid the colony wont run xD

But i am ok with that, most of the times, for me that is, it is not necessary to have a full belt, and when it does, i just plop another autosweeper next to it.

EDIT: I just disabled fast track completely anyway to make sure once and for all... i got a blazing 10 FPS without the mod )= but now i can say for sure it is not because of this mod, it is probably because i have a mod that increases the size of the solid packets inside a rail, so it is just that the sweeper can't keep up, increasing the capacity of the loader might keep the rail filled.

Edited by melquiades
  • Like 1

image.thumb.png.374ce3d480ccdf2c0c157455e68e0a60.png

Have no idea what does it mean, but FastTrack marked as red. I'm not sure when it happens, but last my command was to demolish multiple cots, which were assigned to duplicants, but non of them was in use.

Edited by degr

2 hours ago, degr said:

image.thumb.png.374ce3d480ccdf2c0c157455e68e0a60.png

Have no idea what does it mean, but FastTrack marked as red. I'm not sure when it happens, but last my command was to demolish multiple cots, which were assigned to duplicants, but non of them was in use.

Please provide crash log when the crash happen, this screen doesn't say much about what happen in the background.

On 3/21/2022 at 5:11 AM, Peter Han said:

It crashes!

Crashes or bugs that occur will be easier to fix if reported on the GitHub Issues page rather than this thread. Please include logs with any reports:

• Windows: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Klei\Oxygen Not Included\Player.log
  • Mac: ~/Library/Logs/Klei/Oxygen Not Included/Player.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Klei/Oxygen Not Included/Player.log

1 hour ago, SharraShimada said:

Do you, by any chance, use any mod that affect suits, the suit lockers or clothing at all?

I'm using that list

image.thumb.png.d74e639a8f03a780c7f2f0e5584cb962.png

I think non of them may interfere with suits, suit lockers, etc

Works well but crashes every so often (to desktop, as in segfault). Hard to pinpoint why, I did not see anything relevant in the log.

Animations are smother and following dupes with camera on high speed is more enjoyable. It has the tendency to 'hick up' for 0.5 - 1 second every 4-7 minutes but it's seems like a worthwhile tradeoff. Whatever you are doing, I support your effort! I wish people who work at Klei/Unity look at your stuff and learn from it.

I loaded the mod, played a few hours with it and unloaded, continuing on the same save. Not sure if that's supported, but seems to work. Today is the day after I unloaded the mod, and the game/save is still running fine after unloading, about 150 cycles later.

Let me know If I can help test whatever. I have not done any mods for unity, or oni, but I know programming/software development and testing in general. I'm using a ryzen 5900x with lots of ddr4-3600 ram, if that matters. I am already on github, if that matters. 

Cheers!

On 6/6/2023 at 11:08 AM, tox2ik said:

see above

As far as i know, Fast Track does not change anything permanently, so removing it and playing should be fine.

But if you experience crashes, you may want to check the other mods you are using. FT is not compatible with everything. And its not compatible with preview versions of the game.

Fast Track has been updated for the June 2023 Quality of Life update. Along with changes to match the latest game update, a memory leak in the Metal Refinery side screen has been greatly reduced, and a potential crash with Reduce Allocations disabled has been fixed.

• Like 5
  • Big Ups 1

11 hours ago, Peter Han said:

Fast Track has been updated for the June 2023 Quality of Life update. Along with changes to match the latest game update, a memory leak in the Metal Refinery side screen has been greatly reduced, and a potential crash with Reduce Allocations disabled has been fixed.

Thanks great "god of coding, and bringer of ONI-performance" 

Spoiler

:D

Windows Defender saw it fit to label 0.11.0 as a trojan for me.Trojan:Win32/Sabsik.FL.B!ml to be specific. Not sure if you can do anything about it but I thought I give you a heads up. Also for anyone that gets an error with Fast Track that says no suitable mod detected. This is the likely reason.

1 hour ago, Soggs said:

Windows Defender saw it fit to label 0.11.0 as a trojan for me.Trojan:Win32/Sabsik.FL.B!ml to be specific. Not sure if you can do anything about it but I thought I give you a heads up. Also for anyone that gets an error with Fast Track that says no suitable mod detected. This is the likely reason.

Same here.

27 minutes ago, zivvel said:

Same here.

Looks like Windows Defender "Security intelligence version 1.391.1646.0" had a problem.  As soon as I updated (to ..1664.0), the problem went away.

Other report said version ...1612.0 was fine as well.