Second minute hour day month and year the constant time system and calendar system

We all know that in-game it's 70 days but how do Wurt and Wormwood have a birthday on earth calendar unless it's 365 days and it's just a game mechanic or it's really 70 days and just counts in numbers of days in the constant relative to earth calendar so a full year in earth calendar is 5 and a quarter years in the constant or it's just a number of day in between 70 and 365.

How many days are truly in the constant?

wilson keept in his journal he has from the old physical pc version of dontstarve the real day time on, and so they know how many human days have passed, and whit the help of wanda, its even more easy now to keep real world time

2 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

wilson keept in his journal he has from the old physical pc version of dontstarve the real day time on, and so they know how many human days have passed, and whit the help of wanda, its even more easy now to keep real world time

Maybe, but it could also be outdated.

Also, that still doesn't explain why Wurt and Wormwood have a birthday. 

And that still doesn't answer me how many day is in the constant.

Maybe the survivors keep track of the Gregorian calendar despite not syncing up anymore to stay sane or keep track of time passed and they just gave Wormwood and Wurt fake birthdays so they can join the celebrations the rest of the survivors partake in.

Or maybe Klei just gave random birthdays to everyone and didn't think about Constant-born survivors.

12 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Maybe the survivors keep track of the Gregorian calendar despite not syncing up anymore to stay sane or keep track of time passed and they just gave Wormwood and Wurt fake birthdays so they can join the celebrations the rest of the survivors partake in.

Or maybe Klei just gave random birthdays to everyone and didn't think about Constant-born survivors.

I don't think Klei could have made such an obvious mistake.

6 minutes ago, kiwikenobi said:

I'm pretty sure the characters' birthdays are the date when they were added to the game, or some other similar relevant date in the real world related to the game and the character.

Wurt was added on October 24 but her birthday is on October 17 nothing special about that then why they didn't make her birthday Halloween day or when Wurt was added?

I like to take game mechanics literally whenever that can result in a more interesting world, so I'm'a say, the Constant's year really IS, in fact, 70 of its days long.  Yes, the Earth calendar is way outta sync. Future colonists on other planets and moons are gonna have to deal with that _all the time_, so... (at least I HOPE they will. I dun wanna live in a timeline where we never go to space properly.)

...anyway, we have no idea if the Survivors are keeping track of Earth time at all, and if so, how..and I gotta think that after a while they'd give up 'cos it's too much work for too little reward.  Sure, it might be psychologically nice to know that technically it's HAPPY NEW YEAR, 1930! this random night in the Constant, but where are they gonna get champagne and a big band to play "Auld Lang Syne" there? (although they COULD ferment potatoes to make vodka and play the one-man band?)  Not to mention that reminding yourself all the time of the life you CAN'T have anymore, would make you _more_ depressed...

And they're 16-hour (if each segment of the clock is an hour) days, too, so...(does some calculations)

Each (regular) Constant year is around 47 Earth days (which means that if this was sci-fi, we could assume the Constant's "planet" is around a smaller star.  47-days around Sol would ROAST a planet.)

Spoiler

Now, that's only with regular vanilla settings; I guess we can consider every world where the settings have been messed with, to be an alternate universe.  Different season, day lengths, types, amounts of creatures, frequency of x and y... 

For example, on my old world "Camp One-Foot-in-the-Grave", summer and autumn were standard length (so, 35 days all together) but winter was 40 days and spring was 50. 125 16 hour days STILL adds up to way less than an Earth year.  (83 Earth days, which is even less than Mercury's year of 88 days.)

As for why each character's birthday is what, I have no idea. I'm assuming if it's not the day they were added, it's probably a combination of in-jokes, whatever feels right at that moment, etc.

.Notorious

I think it's pretty weird that Klei added birthday for no reason age would be more helpful.

So I think there is a lore reason behind why there is a birthday for the constant born survivor. 

If the survivor based time in the constant on how normally what day it will be on earth as in 

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Each (regular) Constant year is around 47 Earth days

then 1 earth year is 7 years and 54 days in the constant.

Or the constant has its own calendar.

We know that lunar new year events exist so there must be some kind of lunar calendar in the constant.

Also, the crow people have a have midsummer cawnival they must invent some kind of calendar system because they talk about how this year's event is worse or better than the "last year's event" which means they must have some kind of device to keep track of time.

If holidays and festivals exist then a system that keeps track of time and days must also exist then how would the survivor know it's the time to celebrate?

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

but where are they gonna get champagne and a big band to play "Auld Lang Syne"

Well, they can just drink spicy vegetable stinger which is a type of cocktail, or Frozen Banana Daiquiri also a type of cocktail.

While the children could drink Soothing Tea and Asparagazpacho.

Also, they could just make Walter play the one-man band.

2 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

HAPPY NEW YEAR, 1930!

Doesn't the survivor celebrate the lunar new year instead of the western new year celebration?

I meant that in general, but since most of the survivors are (as far as we know) of North American or European descent/nationality*, I assume they're also familiar with the western new year traditions. But you're kinda right; for "New Years'" my brain should NOT automatically go to _just_ the ball-drop in Times Square and champagne corks being popped while people wear ridiculous novelty glasses shaped like the year-number and yell "HI MOM!" on TV.   There should probably be some firecrackers, dragons and red envelopes involved too.

(and now I'm imagining drunk people throwing fireworks while weaving around raggedly under a dragon costume...|
...actually, minus the dragon part, drunk people + fire just sounds like the Fourth of July.  : P)

Spoiler

Not counting those from the Constant itself or Walani, who is probably Polynesian in background (I like to say she's Hawaiian, myself--because "Walani" sounds like a Hawaiian name.

*"Aha!", says a theoretical pedantic reader, pointing their "Gotcha!" finger theoretically at me.  "That would mean her nationality is ALSO American, then!"

"Not in the '20s, it wouldn't," I say, smugly folding my arms at this theoretical "Well actually"-er.  "Hawaii didn't become a state until 1959."  :)

(Also she's not actually a DST character anyway--despite how often I've used mods to change that.)

I assume the Constant DOES have its own calendar, although I'm not sure who's keeping track of it.  But the celebrations there would be timed by the seasons (as many older holidays were/are on Earth)--like, when it starts getting hot, you do the Cawnival, when it's cold you cook up fancy meals and carol.  Etc.  The pigs probably go by things like "When moon is high in sky and leaf turn red", although I CAN see the _Hamlet_ pig-people having paper wall-calendars, mechanical clocks, etc.

It wouldn't be _impossible_ to keep track of what day it is on Earth, just, a pain in the butt.  There just MIGHT be a character determined enough to do it, but it seems to me that after a while, you'd probably get distracted and forget to count a day...or two...or ten...

...Notorious

32 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I meant that in general, but since most of the survivors are (as far as we know) of North American or European descent/nationality*, I assume they're also familiar with the western new year traditions. But you're kinda right; for "New Years'" my brain should NOT automatically go to _just_ the ball-drop in Times Square and champagne corks being popped while people wear ridiculous novelty glasses shaped like the year-number and yell "HI MOM!" on TV.   There should probably be some firecrackers, dragons and red envelopes involved too.

(and now I'm imagining drunk people throwing fireworks while weaving around raggedly under a dragon costume...|
...actually, minus the dragon part, drunk people + fire just sounds like the Fourth of July.  : P)

Reveal hidden contents

Not counting those from the Constant itself or Walani, who is probably Polynesian in background (I like to say she's Hawaiian, myself--because "Walani" sounds like a Hawaiian name.

*"Aha!", says a theoretical pedantic reader, pointing their "Gotcha!" finger theoretically at me.  "That would mean her nationality is ALSO American, then!"

"Not in the '20s, it wouldn't," I say, smugly folding my arms at this theoretical "Well actually"-er.  "Hawaii didn't become a state until 1959."  :)

(Also she's not actually a DST character anyway--despite how often I've used mods to change that.)

I assume the Constant DOES have its own calendar, although I'm not sure who's keeping track of it.  But the celebrations there would be timed by the seasons (as many older holidays were/are on Earth)--like, when it starts getting hot, you do the Cawnival, when it's cold you cook up fancy meals and carol.  Etc.  The pigs probably go by things like "When moon is high in sky and leaf turn red", although I CAN see the _Hamlet_ pig-people having paper wall-calendars, mechanical clocks, etc.

It wouldn't be _impossible_ to keep track of what day it is on Earth, just, a pain in the butt.  There just MIGHT be a character determined enough to do it, but it seems to me that after a while, you'd probably get distracted and forget to count a day...or two...or ten...

...Notorious

I think the reason Klei when with lunar new year instead of the more western one is because it has a Chinese table more of that feasting side.

The crow people seem to be in the enlightenment period but just a little bit more advance so they must have some kind of calendar and time system close to that period.

Also, I think it's time to give the mainland pig some love they barely have any culture, tradition, or festivals they only have Elite Pigs and pig king wrestling match and that it, while Hamlet pig got too much to a festival while the mainland pig just got a fat king and the pig Torch guardian pig who only just attack you and nothing else.

48 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

You underestimate the dedication of Wickerbottom who will and would study and catalog everything and maybe with the help of Wanda they would do everything in their power to keep track of time and make a calendar for the constant so that everyone would know what their schedule is.

2 hours ago, Paoling said:

Don't the survivor celebrate the lunar new year instead of the western new year celebration?

I wanted to say that they celebrate both, but realised that winter feast is probably christmas, not new year, lol. 

16 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

I wanted to say that they celebrate both, but realised that winter feast is probably christmas, not new year, lol. 

Winter feast is not Christmas but a bunch of winter-related holidays with food eaten at that specific holiday.

1 hour ago, Paoling said:

Also, I think it's time to give the mainland pig some love they barely have any culture, tradition, or festivals they only have Elite Pigs and pig king wrestling match and that it, while Hamlet pig got too much to a festival while the mainland pig just got a fat king and the pig Torch guardian pig who only just attack you and nothing else.

Heck yes!  I'm totally down with this.  :)

I think the reason Klei when with lunar new year instead of the more western one is because it has a Chinese table more of that feasting side.

...and also the fact that their Chinese playerbase is WAAAAYYYYYYY bigger than their other-country ones.

All of them.

Combined.

You underestimate the dedication of Wickerbottom who will and would study and catalog everything and maybe with the help of Wanda they would do everything in their power to keep track of time and make a calendar for the constant so that everyone would know what their schedule is.

Well I DID say there _might_ be a character who would do that. Actually this wouldn't even be the first time I've run into something like that (keeping track of Earth time while in another world) in the fiction I've personally read/played/watched etc.--I definitely remember times when someone on Mars or in another dimension or something would be like "Oh guess what.  According to my calculations, it's Christmas today, on Earth!"  (I can't remember now WHAT that was in, but I've definitely seen it.)

17 minutes ago, Paoling said:

Winter feast is not Christmas but a bunch of winter-related holidays with food eaten at that specific holiday.

Winter's Feast is basically named after what ALL the main winter holidays really are:

--It is cold and miserable outside.

--Therefore, let us light things up, gather together, make noise, and eat, to cheer ourselves up.
(and possibly also burn someone to make the sun rise, but that's frowned upon nowadays.)

That's pretty much the reason so many cultures "happen" to have a similar holiday around that time of year.  : P

...Notorious

4 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Well I DID say there _might_ be a character who would do that

Yes but you also said that

2 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

but it seems to me that after a while, you'd probably get distracted and forget to count a day...or two...or ten...

Wickerbottom wouldn't do that like ever.

1 minute ago, jan Mele said:

For birthdays and events

How does Wickerbottom don't know the real date of birthdays and events she read a lot of books she probably knows all the events dates.

And she could just ask the other survivor for their date of birth.

Archived