Storing lots of material on one tile

Is it okay to store everything on a single tile? I remember reading somewhere that there is/was a deletion bug if you did that... is that true?

Example, I have a conveyor chute just dump everything I sweep on one tile. Maybe after many cycles, something like half the entire asteroid gets stored there. Aside from lag when mousing over the pile (I'm guessing), will anything get deleted or is that fine?

Thanks

Debris of the same resource that falls close enough to an existing stack will automatically combine. As far as I know, this won't delete any resources, but I could be wrong.

I personally just stick a Storage Bin somewhere, set it to Sweep Only then empty it out by de-selecting All in its settings.

resources.thumb.png.606d2f7316eb2355a8553df8c8a12852.png

This does a pretty good job of consolidating all my solid resources into distinct stacks. Plus, I don't need like five hundred Storage Bins to hold it all.

An exception to this is Canister Filler, which does not stack when it drops a new can on the floor.

fillers.png.ba5ab4745a0e9d5bc339146de803005c.png

The only way to sweep these up is to use a Canister Emptier, which also makes it harder to put all the bottles in the same place. In response to this inconvenience, I developed the following contraption:

stacks.png.062ff7434c2a8064a217f2c4e7e9ebd4.png

This uses a Manual Airlock, which Duplicants will stand in front of while attempting to carry resources through it. A Duplicant Motion Sensor sees them standing there and closes the Pneumatic Door on the other side, which fully blocks off their route to the Canister Emptier and forces them to cancel their task, which in turn causes them to drop the can they were carrying right there on the floor.

The Wattage Sensor there on the left is just what I like to use for "god activated automation", where I myself decide when things happen. It closes the Mechanized Airlock directly under the Duplicant Motion Sensor. Since there's a closed door on both sides of the gas canisters, the only direction it can shove the resources is up. I discovered by accident that when this happens, all gas canisters of the same resource are stacked together. Otherwise, canisters max out at 25 Kg each.

This particular design falls victim to a quirky behavior with Duplicant sweeping logic: if the resource they intend to sweep happens to be sitting there in a stack not marked as Sweep Only, they may nonetheless pick it up and immediately attempt to deliver it to the Canister Emptier. There's room for improvement here.

5 hours ago, GuyPerfect said:

The only way to sweep these up is to use a Canister Emptier, which also makes it harder to put all the bottles in the same place. In response to this inconvenience, I developed the following contraption:

stacks.png.062ff7434c2a8064a217f2c4e7e9ebd4.png

If you have space, what not build the Canister Filler vertically and use gravity to drop all bottles to the same place? But I guess that may look ugly. :lol:

3 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I remember reading somewhere that the limit is 20000 tons but that might be the limit for a single debris chunk after which a new chunk is created.

Not sure if that is made by mod but I found my resources are max 25 tons per debris. I'm using Better Info Cards. But anything stacks up to 20000 tons is a huge number.

3 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I remember reading somewhere that the limit is 20000 tons but that might be the limit for a single debris chunk after which a new chunk is created.

Probably not, because wood, for example, goes into 100t debris chunks and refined metal seems to go into 25t ones.

Maybe there is a limit as to how many chunks of debris you can have in a cell?

12 hours ago, DolphinWing said:

If you have space, what not build the Canister Filler vertically and use gravity to drop all bottles to the same place?

I'm considering that, because the Duplicants are hell-bent on picking up the bottles even when the Canister Emptier is set to Sweep Only. Normally my architectural design involves uniform cells of 12 tiles wide and 3 squares of clearance, but drastic needs call for drastic measures.

On 2/15/2022 at 11:17 PM, GuyPerfect said:

I personally just stick a Storage Bin somewhere, set it to Sweep Only then empty it out by de-selecting All in its settings.

resources.thumb.png.606d2f7316eb2355a8553df8c8a12852.png

Hi, you can also use the automatic dispenser without power - then you don't have to manually empty it:

303835727_OxygenNotIncluded29_03.20229_48_35.thumb.png.ec117f7046e6313373b89432cf30affb.png

15 hours ago, Pedro_L said:

It works without power?

Power is only used for holding stuff until it's automated for delivery. So yes, it never needed any power to just drop off materials.

19 hours ago, Pedro_L said:

It works without power?

Yep

14 hours ago, OxCD said:

Power is only used for holding stuff until it's automated for delivery. So yes, it never needed any power to just drop off materials

Exactly

On 3/30/2022 at 1:48 PM, Pedro_L said:

It works without power?

16 hours ago, Prince Mandor said:

It doesn't. And this is exactly what we need. It cannot hold anything and just drops out everything putted in it

10 hours ago, Omdev said:

Yep

Exactly

Damm this changed my life

Archived