Trait conflicts with skill tree.

As you see in the pictures, Ada (艾达, the black-hat miner) already studied third-grade decorating as she has the trait, but she can't do the decoration job unless she study first-grade decorating,  which will increase unnecessary morale demands and waste skill points.

2022-02-13.thumb.png.ebffa3bbb4651920f71abfe5df13d46e.png

1277426043_2022-02-13(1).thumb.png.a697f48b059e7729bba4a1b678355580.png

Is it a game design oversight?

The level 1 decorating skill only costs 1 morale point at most and in this case they have an interest so there is zero morale cost, only experience cost.  A printed duplicant starts with 1 skill point so you can still print that dupe spend the skill point and have him start carving a masterwork statue right next the the Printing Pod as a gift for its mother, if you so wish.

I agree you shouldn't have to.  They're already a Master Artist with the tier 3 skill alone.

2 hours ago, Artorias36 said:

I don't think is fine at all.

That's rather melodramatic is it not?  This may not be ideal, but it is fine.

9 hours ago, GuyPerfect said:

"What's up, fellow Duplicants? I am mighty and can dig through Obsidian, but I'm not skilled enough to dig up Granite yet."

A sound gameplay decision, IMHO.  An entire skilltree for free would be too OP. The way it is now, any starting point in digging makes the dup reach tier3 faster, regardless where it lands.

Tier3 from the start, depending on the situation, is the least useful but also the biggest discount morale-wise. Tier1 is probably the most useful.

On 2/14/2022 at 1:06 AM, GuyPerfect said:

"What's up, fellow Duplicants? I am mighty and can dig through Obsidian, but I'm not skilled enough to dig up Granite yet."

Nope. You have to look at it another way. You already know how to handle heavy tasks, but you lack the experience in digging at all. 

Its like a good cake maker. He/she already knows how to bake, but without the knowledge and practice he/she will never make a good bread. Its much simpler, but a completely other task.

3 hours ago, GuyPerfect said:

I have a feeling that if you give me a laser gun that can excavate Obsidian, I will also be able to use it to excavate Granite.

Highly unlikely unless heavily modified to accommodate both types of materials and automatically detect which is which. After all, obsidian is a translucent crystalline glass whereas granite is an entirely opaque compound mineral composed mostly of quartz, alkali feldspar, and plagioclase.

On 2/15/2022 at 11:30 AM, SharraShimada said:

Its like a good cake maker. He/she already knows how to bake, but without the knowledge and practice he/she will never make a good bread. Its much simpler, but a completely other task.

I prefer to consider it like these scenarios

For the digging scenario, it's like a qualified train driver doesn't know how to drive a car as they are different. This may be weird but still makes sense.

For decoration scenario, it's like a good airliner pilot can't fly the simplest single-engine plane. This doesn't make sense.

Archived